PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

buster

Lifer
Sep 1, 2011
http://m.wimp.com/silencedcrowd/
Bob Dylan, I am not a huge fan but watched this video a friend posted. About 313 into the video a photographer walks into the frame clenching a pipe. :puffy:

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
Wow, he was just a kid. I'm a big fan and count "Like a Rolling Stone" and "Shelter from the Wind" as some of the finest rock songs ever written. Loved the pipe smoker who pops in, a happenstance that could never happen these days.

crazypipe

Lifer
Sep 23, 2012
Bob Dylan Thunder on the Mountain.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0RPkJeziNyI&list=AL94UKMTqg-9CJsuyY_VvMK3EyXkq2qyeZ&feature=share&index=5

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
Thanks for posting Buster. Nice to see that old video. That was a long time ago in a galaxy far, far away.
Bob Dylan Thunder on the Mountain.
Enjoyed that one as well Teddy...I hadn’t seen that video, but Thunder on the Mountain is one of my favorites of his more recent period.
I consider Time Out of Mind to be one of his very best albums.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RZgBhyU4IvQ

saint007

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 22, 2013
No artist has had more songs covered by other artist than Dylan.
"The Essential Bob Dylan" is the most played disc in my truck.

Aug 14, 2012
Last year there was a show of Bob Dylan watercolors at a big time NYC art gallery. Dylan said they were "from my travels." Several were recognizable as having been plagiarized from Henri Cartier Bresson photographs. He should be ashamed and chastised, but he will probably do it again. I couldn't listen to someone with no artistic integrity.

plateauguy

Lifer
Mar 19, 2013
The Dylan commercial for Chrysler during the Super Bowl was fantastic - hopefully Chrysler will begin to live up to the standard shown.
Lay Lady Lay will always be my favorite - didn't know he was a copy cat artist. Kinda ruins the whole thing.

saint007

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 22, 2013
Daimler Benz should have held onto Chrysler. All that money DB invested in R & D is really paying off for Fiat. Their Ram Truck is killing the market. Motor Trend Truck Of The Year, two years running is one reason their share of the truck market has gone up so significantly at the expense of GM and Ford. With a price point a bit higher than GM or Ford too.
I'm just waiting on them to introduce a half-ton powered by CNG for my next truck. That way I can take advantage of all the CNG Filling Stations that are popping up everywhere and cut my fuels expenses by 60%.

instymp

Lifer
Jul 30, 2012
Foggy, & when he was singing peace songs, his stocks included military & defense companies.

I think?? Was when I "grew up", late 60's. And he was my favorite.

Aug 14, 2012
OK, I have a confession to make. There is a reason I am not crazy about Bob Dylan and the other folk singers (except Pete Seeger, may he rest in peace). In the 1950s I used to hang out in Washington Square Park some Sundays. It was the center of the folk movement. Mr. Zimmerman (Dylan) had not arrived yet. My dislike for the folk singers was not about what they had to say, but rather about the sloppy way they said it. And what pissed me off more than anything else was that these mid 20th century wannabe troubadours got most of the girls.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I thought of the Fiat-Chrysler connection after I saw the Dylan Superbowl ad, but figured he'd want to

enrage at least a few people. He did the ad really well, with all that. My last Dylan concert was at a

minor league baseball stadium. He was on the bill with Willy Nelson who apparently had used up his

voice but was still talking his way through the songs, loving the crowd, and having his sister play her

fabulous ragtime piano. Then Mellacamp came on grotesquely over-amped, and all the regular fans

knowingly put in earplugs, and I beat a retreat behind the stands. But I thought Dylan did a good job,

rocked on into the evening and did mostly keyboard work with his vocal. Why he wouldn't lay down

the law to Mellankamp and his abusive sound engineer, I do not know. Cars are a global project these

days. Japanese cars are made in the U.S. (a lot sold here are) and American cars, so-called, are made

in the U.S., but also Canada and Mexico among other places, and the parts are from many nations.

When I buy a car, I always shop first with American brand dealerships, but they never treat me right,

won't come out to look at the car with me, or disappear before we get down to dealing. And Nissan

and Subaru have salespeople who come out after dark, waving brochures. I'm just a regular old guy;

I don't know why there is always this discrepancy, always. A guy did sell me a Volkswagen bug after

I got out of the Navy, German anyway. It creeps me out; the American brand car dealership -- I'm

just not their customer. Not Buick, not Ford, not Mercury, etc. One of those is gone anyway. I shopped

for a Volvo, and the new car I was interested in had a dead battery. So Swedish is out.

instymp

Lifer
Jul 30, 2012
He could write music though, remember Ed McMann reciting one of Bob's song as poetry on the Johnny Carson show.

He never had a good voice, but after his motorcycle accident that damned near killed him, sounded twice as bad, but a legend.

Aug 14, 2012
Instymp: You are right. A friend of mine teaches a college course in Bob Dylan. Not his music so much as his place in and influence on the 1960s culture.

Al: Someplace I have some pictures I did of the Be-In, which was a great late 60s happening in Central Park's Sheep's Meadow. A very fine afternoon was had by all..thousands and thousands of us. I stayed away from the LSD that was there and concentrated on getting some pictures. Don't know where they are, but must have them. The 1960s was a very special time. We Americans had lived such a regimented life before then. WWII imposed many restrictions, then came Korea. Mentally it had been about survival for many years. Then came the 60s and there was a real feeling of freedom. At least for me, the existential I emerged. Bob Dylan was a part of this new culture.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
If you ever dig them out, I'd love to see your shots. I didn't visit NYC until I was in my late 30's and love the historical stuff.

Aug 14, 2012
The pictures were of the people, not the place. There were many great characters, such as Luis Abolofia who was running for US President at the time. He was fully nude in his campaign poster with the slogan "I have nothing to hide." Luis did not take the country or the state, probably didn't even take his own building on the Lower East Side. That was before the Lower East Side became The East Village. I had a large storefront there which I used as a sculpture studio, for $65 a month. Today it is probably $20,000 monthly.

agnosticpipe

Lifer
Nov 3, 2013
In the sticks in Mississippi
I liked this old film of Dylan! Funny thing is, I see a guy come in behind Dylan and start taking pictures, and I say to myself, Ooo, an old Leica with a Leicavit winder on the bottom! How cool is that! Then I notice that this is the guy smoking a pipe! I guess my vision has a pecking order in what I see first. Kind of an "Ah Ha" moment for me. If I didn't like old classic cameras, I probably would have noticed the pipe first! Nice job smoking a pipe and taking photos at the same time though, (with an auto-nothing camera even). True multi-tasking.

Status
Not open for further replies.