PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

aro222

Can't Leave
Mar 17, 2018
Toronto Ontario, Canada
I’ve been looking for some of Bob’s Chocolate Flake tinned but it seems like everyone is out of stock

I hope Gawith Hoggarth and co. is still available

Anybody know where I could find some ?

didache

Can't Leave
Feb 11, 2017
London, England
Interesting you should mention that .. Bob's Choc Flake is currently on my 'want' list - there is a local tobacconist to me who stocks all the SG mixtures - maybe I will drop in on him in the next couple of days.
Good luck with your own search!

Mike

npod

Lifer
Jun 11, 2017
Good Luck! It’s a very tough blend to procure. It’s been one of the hardest for me to get. It’s one of the Unicorn blends. I kinda gave up chasing it, similar to Esoterica.
And ... it’s awesome.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
The bulk is readily available.
https://www.smokingpipes.com/tobacco/by-maker/gawith-hoggarth/bulk/moreinfo.cfm?product_id=3998

npod

Lifer
Jun 11, 2017
Also, Chasing, as you know I don’t like the Lakeland essence, but I really like ages Chocolate flake. Wonder why? I couldn’t stand that Hyde Park.

pipesticks

Can't Leave
Jun 29, 2016
Chicago
Consensus seems to be the Kendall Mayor's chocolate flake blows Bob's out of the water. And its like $31 for 250g at SPC... in stock bulk box.

Chasing Embers

Nov 12, 2014
Also, Chasing, as you know I don’t like the Lakeland essence, but I really like ages Chocolate flake. Wonder why?
The chocolate and Latakia meld well with the florals. Lat bombs are also good for deghosting a Lakeland pipe.
Consensus seems to be the Kendall Mayor's chocolate flake blows Bob's out of the water.
I actually like Bob's and Two Friends "English Chocolate" better.

npod

Lifer
Jun 11, 2017
One of the episodes of pipes radio with Brian LeVine had a guest that briefly discussed GH vs SG chocolate flake. I can’t remember which show off hand. I agreed with the guest that GH Bob’s is better, at least for my tastes. I don’t think the two are similar at all.

Oct 7, 2016
Bob's Chocolate is a decades long favorite, a rare Lake District (Lakeland is a town in central Florida that used to have an Edwards with great house blends) tobacco with the essence that I not only tolerare, but enjoy. With more or less equal age and dry time, I have not noticed any discrnible difference between the bulk and the tinned versions.
I have not tried the Samuel Gawith product, but from reading about it it seems to be distinctly different. Nothing in the description of the product or the reviews I have read at Tobacco Reviews excite my interest at all.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I like pipe tobacco, obviously, and i like chocolate a lot, various types and formats, but I don't like chocolate as a blend flavoring. Most food flavors wear out fast for me, even old standbys like vanilla and caramel, though a few really understated food flavors, fruit, whisky, liqueurs, etc., can be exceedingly pleasing. I even like PS Pistachio, to my surprise -- it is tobacco forward.

Chasing Embers

Nov 12, 2014
I like pipe tobacco, obviously, and i like chocolate a lot, various types and formats, but I don't like chocolate as a blend flavoring.
Not quite that kind of chocolate. Plus, Chathom Manor also has chocolate in it.

Oct 7, 2016
I think the only fair thing to do if you are curious is to try some of each. Bob's absolutely has tonquin, or whatever it is that constitutes the famed Lake district essence. I am not a fan of that, but I love Bob's Chocolate. Something about the combination just clicks for me. I do smoke it very dry. And it is, and has been, an occasional smoke for me. I think I might go fire up a bowl now. Been about 3 weeks since I have smoked any, that is typical.

npod

Lifer
Jun 11, 2017
[/quote]Lake district essence. I am not a fan of that, but I love Bob's Chocolate. Something about the combination just clicks for me.
Yep. Dido.

Status
Not open for further replies.