PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

rmason

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 27, 2013
I love the old Delta and Chicago blues, people like Muddy Waters, Howlin Wolf, Robert Johnson, Elmore James and all the greats I forgot to mention. I do listen to some of the new stuff but it just doesn't feel the same as the old stuff, the sound of the deep scratchy voices, old beat up guitars and wailing harmonicas is were the blues is at.

philobeddoe

Lifer
Oct 31, 2011
East Indiana
I love traditional Blues artists like those mentioned above, but I prefer what Jimmy Page and Billy Gibbons did with it as inspiration more.

gnatjulio

Lifer
Mar 22, 2012
New York
Not a Blues fan per se (did I use that correct?), but on vacation here in Canada it's their 20th annual Blues festival going on, and we're loving it.

Aug 14, 2012
All those guys mentioned above are good. My favorite was Valerie Wellington. I had the good fortune to meet her shortly before she died in the early 90s at a young age. She only made one record in this country and was a far greater performer live. You can get a taste of her in the film "Great Balls of Fire" about Jerry lee Lewis where she played Big Mabelle. Just the way she shakes her behind in that film makes it worth watching, and that VOICE! What a hot performer and fine lady. They called her "The Diva". I was scheduled to do her new pictures when she died of a blood clot. An old joke she told on stage was "He ate so much p---y he had to go to a barber to get his teeth cleaned."

ebklodt

Might Stick Around
Nov 9, 2012
I am a huge blues fan, all styles, but love west coast blues.
Junior Watson

William Clark

Rick Holmstrom

Nick Curran

Kim Wilson's Blues project

Igor Prado

Sean Costello
If your looking to get into or expand your blues palate call Charlie at www.bluebeatmusic.com

He's a wealth of knowledge on all things blues!

terrygoldman123

Can't Leave
Jun 2, 2013
Virginia
So far, so Blue. Forgot to mention my favs" really enjoy the Delta Blues scene-Lightnin' Hopkins & Robert Johnson as well as the more electric Chicago style-BB King and Muddy Waters. Also love Blues bands with horn sections-Roomful of Blues (Rhode Island) and the Billy Price Band (Pittsburgh) to name a couple. I've got a Fender Strat in my computer room and don't play it as much as I did in the travellin' days. Love a good "lick."

petes03

Lifer
Jun 23, 2013
The Hills of Tennessee
I love the blues! I listen to older stuff such as Robert Johnson , but I really prefer guys like SRV, Clapton, Bonamassa, B.B., Buddy Guy and The Alman Bros. ect.

gwtwdbss

Lifer
Jun 13, 2012
I have some blues in my collection. Here are a few:
Hound Dog Taylor

Lighting Hopkins

Lead Belly

Buddy Guy

Koko Taylor

John Mayall

Gatemouth Brown

John Lee Hooker

Muddy Waters

Robert Cray

Robert Johnson

rmason

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 27, 2013
I can't believe I forgot about people like SRV Billy Gibbions Jimmy Page Keith Richards and most of all Clapton, jeez I just feel stupid now.

werdna

Can't Leave
Jun 6, 2013
Stevie Ray Vaughn, John Lee Hooker, Buddy Guy, BB King, Eric Clapton, Sony Boy Williamson. Many more. It's all good.

Aug 14, 2012
Anyone mention Howling Wolf? He taught Clapton the blues. And how about Lightnin' Hopkins, from Texas. Somewhere I have his demo album from the 40s, before he learned to tune his guitar. One day he was supposed to give a concert in Carnegie Hall. He came up to NYC, looked at the building and got drunk instead. No concert.

Status
Not open for further replies.