PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Perique

Lifer
Sep 20, 2011
www.tobaccoreviews.com
I'm a big fan of traditional bluegrass, but also enjoy bluegrass-inspired modern alt-country / roots music (sometimes referred to as "newgrass").
As for "newgrass", I like the SteelDrivers, OCMS, Cadillac Sky, Crooked Still, and anything Rachel Brooke does with bluegrass (few and far between).
Any other suggestions of bands to check out? I'm sure there are many; I just don't have the time like I used to for seeking them out so I figured I would consult the Pipes Magazine Forums brain trust.
Thanks.

northernneil

Lifer
Jun 1, 2013
Can't say I am familiar with "newgrass," but when it comes to banjo inspired music, I absolutely love The Decemberist's. They are a great American band with much talent. I highly recommend the album The King is Dead.

conlejm

Lifer
Mar 22, 2014
I enjoy this style of music also. Check out the bands the Devil Makes Three, the Be Good Tanyas, and if you like Gospel Bluegrass, do check out the Sacred Shakers. The very famous Bela Fleck is married to Abigail Washburn, and they each make some great newgrass music, too.

flmason

Lifer
Oct 8, 2012
If you have XM/Sirius radio they have a bluegrass station. On XM it it channel 61. It is basically all I listen to.
Check out Darin & Brooke Aldridge. They are husband and wife team with many songs I enjoy. You can listen to song clips on their website and then buy the CD if you are interested.

...Huckleberry Flint, Stringdusters, anything that Sam Bush is involved with, I'm friends with Brian Gorby of the Hackensaw Boys,

I also suggest the Carolina Chocolate Drops, Asylum Street Spankers, Old Crow Medicine Show, and our Alabama "Rolling in the Hay" boys. I love bluegrass and that "old" sound. Larry Keel is also a good one, which will lead you to Keller Williams who isn't bluegrass but used to burn up the Virginia coast back when I used to practically live on the beach there and I didn't have as much gray hair, lol.

leonardw

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 30, 2011
Pick a bit of banjo myself with a local bluegrass band. +1 on Infamous Stringdusters & Larry Keel. The stuff Keller Williams is doing with the Traveling McCoury's is fantasic. Just saw the Punch Brothers - mind blowing (Chris Thile's father is actually pipe maker Scott Thile). For jam-grass there are Leftover Salmon, String Cheese Incident, Yonder Mountain String Band, Railroad Earth. Also check out The Waybacks, The Duhks (my personal favorite right now, but they'd never be accused of being bluegrass), Town Mountain.

cuchulain

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 28, 2014
Massachusetts
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I7uLc_O7jd8
They're one of the rare Buegrass bands to actually use percussion. Adds some depth to the sound, as I feel like the lack of percussion in bluegrass is one of the genre's only failings.
Foggymountain, this one's for you
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9CE3hU7Bzlw

houndstooth

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 28, 2013
I pick the banjo a bit. Mostly into traditional bluegrass. Love Earl, of course. Will the Circle be Unbroken is a fine series of albums. I love listening to John Hartford, Alan Munde & Country Gazette, The Punch Brothers (also seen them numerous times), Jim Mills, Dan Tyminski, etc.
Osbourne Brothers, Ralph Stanley and Doyle Lawson are pretty great to listen to also.

latbomber

Part of the Furniture Now
May 10, 2013
+1 Sam Bush, excellent musician. Although they aren't exactly bluegrass, I think some of you guys might like these:
Brother Dege, very cool guy I've followed for a long time, got featured in Django Unchained:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cY_iNlUsS5I
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=arnRoH58l0U
Jack White's side band The Raconteurs with Ricky Skaggs/Ashley Monroe
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yIPeIR3KlMY

rangerearthpig

Jan 5, 2014
@ cosmic:
That bass player is a joy to watch! 8)
@ cuch:
I really like the way the Steel Canyon Rangers sound! Thanks for the link.

rangerearthpig

Jan 5, 2014
@ Lat:
I enjoyed the heck out of all three of your links, particularly the last. Gonna have to go shopping now.

rangerearthpig

Jan 5, 2014
@ Perique:
I downloaded "Sticks that make Thunder" by the Steeldrivers. I'm watching the sun get low in the West, sipping a Jose Cuervo Gold, and enjoying some Opus Magnum in a smooth half bent Leonessa. I'll tell you what...this is a great mix, all the way around.

rangerearthpig

Jan 5, 2014
@ perique:
I'm sorry if I "Bogarted" your thread. However, I have smoked three bowls back to back, and I've probably downloaded 50 New Grass tunes. As a "Southern Gentleman," and I use the term VERY loosely, I really like this stuff!! Thanks for providing the initiative! Great stuff.. really!

cuchulain

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 28, 2014
Massachusetts
@Ranger, Bluegrass is less "Southern" than Appalachian. It draws heavily upon the Scots-Irish folk heritage most found in the Appalachian mountain range, like the Blue Ridge Mountains from GA all the way up to PA.

Status
Not open for further replies.