PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

apiperisdown

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 28, 2014
Is there a preference (flavor wise) to ordering bulk over tins with Dan Tobacco's Blue Note? I've noticed some of the online shops are getting it back in stock and I'd like to know if I should spring for the bulk 250g. I like the stuff but have only had it from tins.

blendtobac

Lifer
Oct 16, 2009
The tobacco is the same, and they use mylar bags which don't affect the flavor. The savings are worth it for those who go through it fairly quickly.
Russ

dragonslayer

Lifer
Dec 28, 2012
Pittsburgh
Dan tobacco is not even on my "try" list. Has anyone had experience with this brand in comparison to the more popular brands?
The Perique/VA non-aromatics have me wondering.
Craig

renfield

Lifer
Oct 16, 2011
Kansas
Blue Note is an enjoyable aromatic. The tobacco base is not especially complex but is of high quality. The flavoring (tropical fruit and vanilla) lasts through the entire bowl if you use a little restraint and don't smoke it hot. It's not at all goopy and the general presentation is tobacco first, flavorings second. It could easily be an all day smoke and does well in meers, cobs and briars. I've purchased other Dan tobaccos based on my experience with Blue Note but have yet to try them.
IMO this is how an aromatic is at its best. No chemical notes, the flavor actually comes across on the palate, the base tobacco is excellent and it burns easily and without needing lots of attention.
Ren

gentlemanjerry

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 7, 2011
As renfeld stated Dan is quality tobacco and what an aro should be like.......I have an up and down relationship with Blue Note.....sometimes it's sooo good.....other times a bowl (from the same tin) seems quite average.I keep some on hand tho- Dan's Milonga mixed w/10 percent Lane's 1-Q is transcendant!

A very unique Dan blend is Black Velvet - an aromatic Lat blend....strangest blend in my rotation, cased w/Guiness stoudt & champagne.....very spicy, cool, and smokey.....I love it! Also Devils holiday is a good berry flavored smoke. For me, all Dan's blends are even better w/scotch or a good English ale.

Status
Not open for further replies.