PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

petes03

Lifer
Jun 23, 2013
The Hills of Tennessee
What do you guys think about the two? Normally I'm a Blue Moon drinker, I almost always have one with my steaks when I go out. But as I sit here, having just got home from work, and enjoying my post- work beer and smoke I'm having a SW Blue and loving it with the Mac Baren Mixture Flake I'm smoking!

Both are wheat beers, Blue Moon having the added zest of orange peel, and SW Blue having the added sweetness of blue berries.

The SW Blue seems to be a nice change of pace from my Blue Moon and Bud Light. I enjoy the smooth, sweet taste and body of it very much.

I've only had it in bottles, so I can't compare it with Blue Moon on draft.

With Blue Moon there is a noticeable difference between bottled and draft, the draft of course being a little better. If that is the case with SW Blue, I'm gonna have to find a place that has it on tap!

I know I might catch some hell for liking these two brews, but hey, I drink what I like!

I also like Budweiser, PBR, Coors, Bud Light Lime, Shock Top, Mike's Hard Lemonade, Red's Apple Ale, Woodchuck Cider, Miller Light and Miller High Life!

homeatsea

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 6, 2013
I see you enjoy ciders, have you ever given Angry Orchard a try? It is my favorite of the ciders. I converted after being a Woodchuck drinker for many a summer.
As for the Blue Moon bottle vs. draft, I agree with you but will say that I think draft is more than just a little better! Never had SWB, but I will look for it and give it a go. Can't hurt to try!

petes03

Lifer
Jun 23, 2013
The Hills of Tennessee
Homeatsea, if you like Blue Moon I think you'll enjoy SW Blue quite thoroughly!

As for the Angry Orchard, I forgot about that one! Yeah, I've had it and enjoyed it quite well!

PlanxtyPipes

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 6, 2013
I'm not usually a fan sweet or fruity beers so I can't really comment positively on either. I will say I've tried Blue Moon a bunch of times and I just don't enjoy it at all. It is every woman I know's favorite beer. I'm really not trying to put you down for liking it though...to each their own!
I don't think I've ever tried the SW Blue, but if someone offered me one I'd give it a go. I like a lot of their other beers so if it has a similar flavor profile I'd probably enjoy it. If you like sweeter beers like these, you should try out some of the Belgian Tripel beers. I am not a big fan because of how sweet they are, but those are what remind me most of beers like Blue Moon.
The best wheat beer I've ever had is the Lagunita's Little Sumpin' Sumpin' ale. That is FANTASTIC. It has a lot more hops than your typical wheat beer though...more in line with an IPA. But it's definitely got those wheat underpinnings. The sweetness works for me in that one because it's got the bitterness and maltiness to balance it out.

davidintexas

Part of the Furniture Now
Jun 4, 2013
I've had the Blue Moon and enjoy it, but have not had the SWB. Blueberry huh? I'll have to give it a try. I've also had the MacBaren Mixture Flake. Pretty good as well, but mine was dryed out too much from a tin at my tobacconist that had been opened up by a customer at some point. They gave me a few dollars off for it. The flakes were all there, but the date stamp was a year old, so it had probably been there awhile. I rehydrated it, but have not tried it since then.

starcat

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 24, 2013
Blue Moon is not a bad beer in that style, but the original Celis White was a masterpiece by a Belgian Brewmaster whose operation was then located in Texas, my home state. I have heard that that beer will be coming back, and if brewed true to Style then it should be much sought after. There is nothing like it in that class.

petes03

Lifer
Jun 23, 2013
The Hills of Tennessee
@broth. To each his own man! Me personally, I can't stand a lot of hops, IPAs are just not my thing. Down here in east TN, most every guy I know loves Blue Moon, so do some of the women, but mostly the guys. I say drink what you like, and like what you drink!

Status
Not open for further replies.