PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

familyfarmer

Lurker
Mar 18, 2019
Hello from Sussex County Delaware. An oddly rural area amidst an otherwise endless array of suburbia and city. Along with the vastly forgot Eastern Shores of Maryland and Virginia, Sussex County might as well be Iowa cornfields on an island. We are placed on a peninsula nick named for the three states that reside here Delmarva (Del-Mar-Va). Although, technically a peninsula, Delmarva feels more like an island. Thanks to the Chesapeake and Delaware canal you cannot leave here without taking a bridge or a ferry. A lot of our farmland is being developed so that New Yorkers can harvest our beaches. Poultry, Lima beans, Melons, and corn are the mainstays of agriculture here. I am a first generation poultry farmer. Hung up my Caterpillar for a land Deed.
I’ve always enjoyed tobacco. I started out like most smoking cigarettes as a teenager. I soon branched out into cigars, chews, snuffs, etc. I acquired a cob pipe from a grand uncle sometime around junior year. I found driving my old pickup through the sprawling cypress swamps while clenching a pipe full of Carter Hall to be my metronome. I smoked that cob for some time, usually OTC blends. I smoked it for a few years and found myself favoring cigars until recently. I consider myself a connoisseur I enjoy reviewing whiskeys and cigars and I frequent a neat barbershop up state of me. You get a beer with a haircut, an old fashioned hot shave, and access to a smoking lounge that features the atmosphere of a gentlemen’s study. There is no shortage of fine elixirs their.
I recently dropped into a local tobacco superstore to find an excellent selection of Missouri Meershaum pipes. I grabbed a suitable cob, a pouch of carter hall and some matches. I find I’ve missed pipe smoking. It’s much gentler and enjoyable than a cigar. I sometimes find a cigar to be a sledge hammer to my palate. This makes reviewing it in conjunction with a whiskey to be impossible. Getting the pipe back in my clench exites me. I look forward to delving into premium tobaccos and expanding beyond my OTC selection.
Thanks,

Matt

jaytex1969

Lifer
Jun 6, 2017
Here
Welcome from Austin, Texas.
Originally from Baltimore, I have some great memories of family outings to Rehoboth Beach in the 70's and 80's.
Sure would enjoy some Thrasher's french fries right now...
jay-roger.jpg

familyfarmer

Lurker
Mar 18, 2019
Welcome from Austin, Texas.
Originally from Baltimore, I have some great memories of family outings to Rehoboth Beach in the 70's and 80's.
Sure would enjoy some Thrasher's french fries right now...
My grandfather grew up in Glen Burnie, he was a crane operator on the second span of the bay bridge. He's kin to Cole Younger and the Younger gang.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Family farm, the grand tradition. My late wife grew up partly on her grandparents tobacco farm, and my living wife grew up on a cattle farm in rural Missouri, far from any city. I'm a suburban kid. Welcome aboard.

Status
Not open for further replies.