Tags:  No tags yet. 

Blue hands

(18 posts)
  • Started 4 years ago by thomasmartin
  • Latest reply from ben88
  1. thomasmartin

thomasmartin

Login to Send PM

I've bought a wonderful restored but as good as new Dunhill dress from a respected vendor. I have no doupt about the pipe being genuine. It's a really beautiful prince with a sterling silver ring. When smoking it for the first time I noticed that some of the paint came off, staining my hands black/blue. I went to polishing the bowl today with some Dunhill pipe bowl polish. The towel was pretty stained afterwards. The bowl took up a less jet black more charcoal color after that with some of the grain slightly shining trough. It actually looks very nice that way but is this normal?

Thomas
    Posted 4 years ago #
  2. philobeddoe

Philo Beddoe

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

No.

"So it goes." - K.V.
    Posted 4 years ago #
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

aldecaker

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Paint? As in, the regular sense of "paint"?

A man who serves his country is a patriot. A man who serves his government is an employee. The two are not always the same thing.
    Posted 4 years ago #
  4. sjmiller

sjmiller

Login to Send PM

Not just no but HELL NO!

Abbot of the Apostles of St. Bruno
    Posted 4 years ago #
  5. mso489

mso489

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I don't think this is the Dunhill finish, not to state the obvious. Someone has "fixed up" this pipe in a bad way, so now you need to find out what they were covering up, if anything, and how this can be restored as best possible. If it were my Dunhill, I'd entrust it to a repairman who works on them regularly. If you screw up the finish trying to remove this bad paint-over job, you might do more damage than good, and also, you might not have the know-how if there is another problem to be addressed. I think this pipe can be put right, saved if necessary, but you want someone who knows what they're doing. You can do it yourself, and you might do fine, but the potential for making it worse is there.

Posted 4 years ago #
  6. pitchfork

pitchfork

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Black magic marker, maybe?

Posted 4 years ago #
  7. settersbrace

settersbrace

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Rhah-Rhoh!

De gustibus et cloribus non disputandum.
    'There is no arguing about tastes and colours.'
    Posted 4 years ago #
  8. thomasmartin

thomasmartin

Login to Send PM

Here's a pic . As you can see, the grain shines through the paint. Hope I didn't buy a fake. I've contacted the seller. Let's see what he says.

Posted 4 years ago #
  9. mranglophile

Mr. Anglophile

Login to Send PM

I would really doubt it is a fake. Most likely you are seeing the results of a shady re-stain or something. I would contact the seller as you have for their end of it.

Michael - Poulsb, WA

Pipes are not like cars. A Chevy cannot drive like a Mercedes, but the lowly Stanwell can smoke like the lofty Chonowitsch, even though the latter far exceeds the Stanwell in beauty, grain, and craftsmanship. It is the briar and not the brand. There is no place for elitism among pipe smokers. - Fred Hanna
    Posted 4 years ago #
  10. thomasmartin

thomasmartin

Login to Send PM

Thanks. If it's a fake, it's a good one. The stem is vulcanite. Numbers and imprints seem legit.

Posted 4 years ago #
  11. mlyvers

mlyvers

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Good luck, I hope everything works out for u sir.

Posted 4 years ago #
  12. pruss

pruss

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

It sounds like it was refinished with something that didn't stick.

-- Pat

Posted 4 years ago #
  13. samcoffeeman

samcoffeeman

Login to Send PM

Looks like a legit Dunhill. Possible the dress finish came off and the person attempted to redo the finish. I have attempted to make this finish before and it came out ok. The issue is that the stain has to be put on exttra thick to cover the grain complaetely and then it will not soak in, and come off on your hands as so. The only real way to do it is to mix the black stain with shellac and then use that to coat the bowl. Hardest part is to get a glassy smooth finish. The shellac has to set for at least a week before it can be buffed.

Posted 4 years ago #
  14. jimbo44

jimbo44

Login to Send PM

The black coating does fade with age; a '82 Dress:

So, probably re-finished.

Posted 4 years ago #
  15. thomasmartin

thomasmartin

Login to Send PM

I have a response from the vendor. He says it's normal that a new Dunhill dress will stain some. He says it's not paint but oils and colored wax that are used to achieve the dress finish. Hmm. Now, she looks and smokes well so I will let it rest and enjoy the pipe.

Posted 4 years ago #
  16. mso489

mso489

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I'm kind of amazed that Dunhill would do this with a finish, at their prices. I have a Savenelli Opera bulldog with an intensely dark finish, and it was not an inexpensive pipe, about $240 MSRP. But it retains its finish to a "T." Nothing rubs off. This is true of other pipes like Chacom, Vuillard, Peterson (an ebony), etc. etc. I'm glad you've made your peace with the Dunhill; buff it regularly and time may take care of this. More power to you.

Posted 4 years ago #
  17. thomasmartin

thomasmartin

Login to Send PM

I'm pretty sure that the original Dunhill finish will not do this and that this one had a makeover at some point. The fading of the dress finish you can see on the picture above (which looks great btw) seems to confirm the statement of the seller though. It's just that the finish did not just stain a little. My hands were really blue all over and I'm pretty sure this is not what Dunhill or any other manufacturer would do.

Posted 4 years ago #
  18. ben88

ben88

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Contact Dunhill

Lasciate ogni speranza, voi ch’entrate
    Posted 4 years ago #

You must log in to post.

Back To Top  | Back to Forum Home Page

Members Online Now
   georged, cfreud, haparnold, pepesdad1, lawdawg, the85boro, burleyboy, yuda, darwin