PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

stevuke79

Might Stick Around
Sep 21, 2016
I just started smoking a few months ago and i got myself 2 cobs and a nice blue savinelli Arcobaleno.
The first few smokes i noticed some of the blue came off on my hand. When i would take out the balsa filter at the end i noticed it also picked up some 'blue'. I also noticed the bowl developed some texture in the originally solid blue dye.
I used to buff if a little with a papertowel so that the blue dye would 're-dry' smooth.
It's stopped happening. No more getting blue everywhere.
But is that normal?

Does it mean I'm smoking hot?
(I think i smoke pretty cool.. my bowls last 45min to an hr. it never gets too hot to hold. But maybe it was a little hot in the beginning when i didnt know heat was a problem. I do smoke aromatics and a lot of virginias which i think are known to smoke hot.)
Is this a heat thing?

briarcudgel

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 6, 2016
I don't think it's heat. The alcohol stain may have come off due to moisture content of the tobacco, and your hand. For some reason Savinelli stains the inside of the bowl. I've also found their carnauba wax on the bowl comes off on the hand and the pipe will look dull.

pagan

Lifer
May 6, 2016
West Texas
Quite possible, personally I wouldn't smoke a pipe with the finish bleeding through, try cleaning it out with alcohol till its clean, if that don't work consider getting a professional cleaning done. IMHO

kiel

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 27, 2016
A friend of mine had a green one that got green everywhere after smoking it. He eventually removed the green as best he could, and re-stained it to a "normal" color. His green sav was the only one I've seen, and my impression was they all will stain the smoker's hand.

stevuke79

Might Stick Around
Sep 21, 2016
Awwwwww... thats too bad. I really like their green and blue pipes.
So disappointing that such a high end manufacturer puts a stain on their pipes that doesn't last.
Thanks for the info guys!

stevuke79

Might Stick Around
Sep 21, 2016
It looks like savinelli addresses the dulling of their pipes... i dont know if im dedicated enough to actually polish my pipe, lol

kiel

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 27, 2016
I'll also add, the fills on my friends green sav were also green in color. Now he has a "normal" colored pipe with green fills.

Jan 8, 2013
A friend of mine had a green one that got green everywhere after smoking it. He eventually removed the green as best he could, and re-stained it to a "normal" color. His green sav was the only one I've seen, and my impression was they all will stain the smoker's hand.
My green Peterson is still as green as when new, and the stain never bled through or onto my hand.
Still, I did kinda want the new St. Nick Savinelli 320. But Not sure I want one that the stains going to come off of.

stevuke79

Might Stick Around
Sep 21, 2016
Maybe ill be happier if my next pipe is a rusticated colored Arcobaleno...
Its not like it has a shine to lose.

(Im not really a pipe buffing kind of guy lol)

Status
Not open for further replies.