PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

zonomo

Lifer
Nov 24, 2012
I was on YouTube looking at a Tobacco review and the dude kept blowing the smoke out his nose. My friend is a super experienced cigar smoker and I introduced him to pipes a few weeks ago. He did this almost immediately. Is there some kind of nose flavor or something? I wonder if its bad for the nose. Who here does that?

tokerpipes

Lifer
Jan 16, 2012
Eatonville, WA
I exhale my smoke through my nose all the time. Some tobacco is enhanced in flavour when exhaled through the nose. And you can smell it even after you have finished the bowl.

flyguy

Lifer
Nov 20, 2012
Zonomo, did you know that your sense-of-taste is more realized through your nose (smell) than on your tongue? My dad once went deep sea fishing, became seasick and passed out. When he passed out (this is gross) he vomited through his sinuses. The stomach acid burned his sinuses and he had very little sense-of-taste for over a year. He was pretty miserable as he loves his food!

I can fully enjoy/taste most tobaccos only when I exhale through my nose. There are some tobaccos, however, that are too strong to smoke in this fashion as they really burn the sinuses.

I don't know if it is bad for the nose, but I have never had any problems. If you are worried about this you can flush your sinuses with a saline solution after a smoke or before you retire at night.

robusthermit

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 9, 2012
I nose exhale quite often. I find it the most enjoyable with va/per and burley blends. Latakia tends to stuff me up when I nose exhale for that a few times per bowl. I will often offset this by using a neti pot to flush out my sinuses.

dnietosi

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 24, 2012
I think it is call retro-hale or something of the sort. It has been one of the greatest discoveries in pipe smoking for me. With some tobaccos I will do it quite often with others a few times in a bowl. As it calls for it. You should try it thought.
:puffy:

gray4lines

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 6, 2012
KY
Yes, cigar smoker's call it "retrohaling" I do it quite often, especially with pipes.
Cigars are much harsher to retrohale, so I only do a tiny bit of smoke every once in a while.

Pipe smoke is much more mild and smooth, in my opinion, and I retro with maybe 1 of 3 puffs.
It's the same priciple as "hold your nose when drinking cough syrup so you don't taste it."
Bringing your nose and sense of smell into the tasting can really bring out more subtle, and otherwise unnoticeable, flavors.

rmbittner

Lifer
Dec 12, 2012
All the time. In fact, there are qualities about Penzance (I know: "Penzance, Penzance, Penzance! Shut up already about Penzance!") that don't surface any other way. I'm sure that's not the only blend that's transformed by doing this, but it stands out to me. The oriental tang that you hear about with that blend depends upon exhaling through the nose.
BTW, I just read somewhere recently that when smoking was introduced to England, smokers only exhaled through the nose; it was apparently considered gauche to produce smoke from the mouth.
Bob

uberam3rica

Lifer
Sep 7, 2011
Capac, Michigan
did you know that your sense-of-taste is more realized through your nose (smell) than on your tongue?

Very true. Part of why you can't taste anything when your sick is because often your nose is plugged up. Your nose and taste bud work in tandem. Smell is essential to taste. However some blend do not feel so good when exhaled through the nose.

spartan

Lifer
Aug 14, 2011
One must incorporate the smoke into one's entire being.
Become the smoke! :twisted:
Plus it makes you feel like a dragon. And who doesn't like that?

chakaraka

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 28, 2012
Vernon, BC, Canada
Spartan:
One must incorporate the smoke into one's entire being.
Become the smoke! [:twisted:]
Plus it makes you feel like a dragon. And who doesn't like that?
:lol:
+1 Practicing your menacing "muu uuu ahhh ahhhh!" laugh simultaneously just adds to it. Plus your significant other will find it amazingly hot and be unable to resist you.

Jan 8, 2013
I do this with cigarettes sometimes and I've done it with cigars. But I was under the impression you really weren't supposed to inhale pipe smoke.

sebastian

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 5, 2013
I guess that I'm one of the few that do inhale pipe smoke, although, it is possible to retro-hale without actually inhaling the smoke into your lungs.
I do it quite often. I also like to "french inhale" the pipe smoke as well. Both ways definitely enhance the taste and enjoyment.

kcghost

Lifer
May 6, 2011
Olathe, Kansas
I can even blow smoke out my butt. And before you say that's impossible I remind you that I have the nicotine stained shorts to prove it. :wink:

pstlpkr

Lifer
Dec 14, 2009
Birmingham, AL
Anthony you don't have to inhale (per cigarettes) to "retrohale" the smoke.

It takes a little practice, but you can move the smoke directly from your mouth out through your nose.

Here's how I do it:

Pull smoke into your mouth.

Close glottis. (music majors call it a glottal stroke)

Then collapsing or closing of the area in your mouth allow the smoke to move into your nasal passages.

After a little practice it'll become second nature.

:puffy:

Status
Not open for further replies.