Pipes Magazine » General Pipe Smoking Discussion

Tags:  No tags yet. 

Blow It out Your Nose

(45 posts)
  1. zonomo

zonomo

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I was on YouTube looking at a Tobacco review and the dude kept blowing the smoke out his nose. My friend is a super experienced cigar smoker and I introduced him to pipes a few weeks ago. He did this almost immediately. Is there some kind of nose flavor or something? I wonder if its bad for the nose. Who here does that?

Posted 1 year ago #
  2. tokerpipes

tokerpipes

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I exhale my smoke through my nose all the time. Some tobacco is enhanced in flavour when exhaled through the nose. And you can smell it even after you have finished the bowl.

If you can't pack it, light it, and smoke it then why do it. It's a dieing art that must be rekindled in all of us as fortold by our forefathers.

Words to live by for all pipe smokers.
    Posted 1 year ago #
  3. flyguy

flyguy

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Zonomo, did you know that your sense-of-taste is more realized through your nose (smell) than on your tongue? My dad once went deep sea fishing, became seasick and passed out. When he passed out (this is gross) he vomited through his sinuses. The stomach acid burned his sinuses and he had very little sense-of-taste for over a year. He was pretty miserable as he loves his food!
    I can fully enjoy/taste most tobaccos only when I exhale through my nose. There are some tobaccos, however, that are too strong to smoke in this fashion as they really burn the sinuses.
    I don't know if it is bad for the nose, but I have never had any problems. If you are worried about this you can flush your sinuses with a saline solution after a smoke or before you retire at night.

“Apples for walking, and a pipe for sitting.”
    ― Samwise Gamgee
    Posted 1 year ago #
  4. robusthermit

robusthermit

Login to Send PM

I nose exhale quite often. I find it the most enjoyable with va/per and burley blends. Latakia tends to stuff me up when I nose exhale for that a few times per bowl. I will often offset this by using a neti pot to flush out my sinuses.

Posted 1 year ago #
  5. dnietosi

dnietosi

Login to Send PM

I think it is call retro-hale or something of the sort. It has been one of the greatest discoveries in pipe smoking for me. With some tobaccos I will do it quite often with others a few times in a bowl. As it calls for it. You should try it thought.

Posted 1 year ago #
  6. gray4lines

Gray

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Yes, cigar smoker's call it "retrohaling" I do it quite often, especially with pipes.

Cigars are much harsher to retrohale, so I only do a tiny bit of smoke every once in a while.
    Pipe smoke is much more mild and smooth, in my opinion, and I retro with maybe 1 of 3 puffs.

It's the same priciple as "hold your nose when drinking cough syrup so you don't taste it."

Bringing your nose and sense of smell into the tasting can really bring out more subtle, and otherwise unnoticeable, flavors.

Posted 1 year ago #
  7. rmbittner

rmbittner

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

All the time. In fact, there are qualities about Penzance (I know: "Penzance, Penzance, Penzance! Shut up already about Penzance!") that don't surface any other way. I'm sure that's not the only blend that's transformed by doing this, but it stands out to me. The oriental tang that you hear about with that blend depends upon exhaling through the nose.

BTW, I just read somewhere recently that when smoking was introduced to England, smokers only exhaled through the nose; it was apparently considered gauche to produce smoke from the mouth.

Bob

Posted 1 year ago #
  8. crpntr1

Chris

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Yep helps with the flavor

Welcom back Tokerpipes

The most important things in life are good friends and a good bullpen...not necessarily in that order

You may all go to hell, I'll go to Texas-Davy Crockett
    Posted 1 year ago #
  9. User has not uploaded an avatar

punkrockarmy

Login to Send PM

I find, for me anyways, that exhaling via the nose helps me taste the tobacco a lot better.

Posted 1 year ago #
  10. uberam3rica

Uberam3rica

Mod

Login to Send PM

did you know that your sense-of-taste is more realized through your nose (smell) than on your tongue?

Very true. Part of why you can't taste anything when your sick is because often your nose is plugged up. Your nose and taste bud work in tandem. Smell is essential to taste. However some blend do not feel so good when exhaled through the nose.

As long as I got a pipe full of baccy and a nose full of snuff, I'm a happy camper
    Cigarettes are an addiction, cigars are a hobby, pipes are a religion
    Posted 1 year ago #
  11. spartan

Spartan

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

One must incorporate the smoke into one's entire being.

Become the smoke!

Plus it makes you feel like a dragon. And who doesn't like that?

"I was born to lose. So I'll die to win." -Breaking Benjamin
    Posted 1 year ago #
  12. brewshooter

Brewshooter

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I sometimes blow smoke...but not out my nose.

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.
    -C. S. Lewis, English essayist & juvenile novelist (1898 - 1963)
    Posted 1 year ago #
  13. 05venturer

05venturer

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

here is a good video explaining "retrohaling" as described by cigar smoker Doc

[+] Embed the video | Video DownloadGet the Flash Videos

Kent

Posted 1 year ago #
  14. chakaraka

chakaraka

Login to Send PM

Spartan:

One must incorporate the smoke into one's entire being.

Become the smoke! [:twisted:]

Plus it makes you feel like a dragon. And who doesn't like that?

+1 Practicing your menacing "muu uuu ahhh ahhhh!" laugh simultaneously just adds to it. Plus your significant other will find it amazingly hot and be unable to resist you.

Mike.
    - - - - - -
    Rookie, but learning.
    Posted 1 year ago #
  15. anthonyrosenthal74

anthonyrosenthal74

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I do this with cigarettes sometimes and I've done it with cigars. But I was under the impression you really weren't supposed to inhale pipe smoke.

Cut me... I bleed black.
    Posted 1 year ago #
  16. sebastian

sebastian

Login to Send PM

I guess that I'm one of the few that do inhale pipe smoke, although, it is possible to retro-hale without actually inhaling the smoke into your lungs.

I do it quite often. I also like to "french inhale" the pipe smoke as well. Both ways definitely enhance the taste and enjoyment.

Posted 1 year ago #
  17. flyguy

flyguy

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Become the smoke!

Well said, my friend!

Posted 1 year ago #
  18. kcghost

kcghost

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I can even blow smoke out my butt. And before you say that's impossible I remind you that I have the nicotine stained shorts to prove it.

Posted 1 year ago #
  19. pstlpkr

Lawrence

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Anthony you don't have to inhale (per cigarettes) to "retrohale" the smoke.
    It takes a little practice, but you can move the smoke directly from your mouth out through your nose.
    Here's how I do it:

Pull smoke into your mouth.
    Close glottis. (music majors call it a glottal stroke)
    Then collapsing or closing of the area in your mouth allow the smoke to move into your nasal passages.

After a little practice it'll become second nature.

"Ending a sentence with a preposition is something up with which I will not put." Winston Churchill
    View Lawrence  Whitcomb's profile on LinkedIn
    Posted 1 year ago #
  20. anthonyrosenthal74

anthonyrosenthal74

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

@kcghost are you sure that's nicotine? ewwwwwww

Posted 1 year ago #
  21. cigrmaster

cigrmaster

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I have always used my nose to taste tobacco. I started with cigars and then it was an automatic thing with my pipes. If you can nose exhale a RYJ Cazadore from the 90's or a fresh Opus X off the rolling table, you can easily handle any pipe tobacco. My favorite nose smokes are Vapers as the peppery perique comes through the nose quite nicely.

Harris
    Posted 1 year ago #
  22. User has not uploaded an avatar

Anonymous

Unregistered

Login to Send PM

Yep as noted by some here, it's called retrohaling and it's quite common and a great way to increase one's enjoyment from the flavors of the tobacco smoke.

Posted 1 year ago #
  23. wildcat

wildcat

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I guess that I'm one of the few that do inhale pipe smoke, although, it is possible to retro-hale without actually inhaling the smoke into your lungs.

I do it quite often. I also like to "french inhale" the pipe smoke as well. Both ways definitely enhance the taste and enjoyment.

+1

As for the retrohaling videos, read the comments on some of them. Sometimes they can be videos produced for members of an alternative lifestyle. I first figured it out watching what I thought was going to be a tobacco review. It clearly wasn't and the comments were sexual in nature. (Please note, this is just an observation, not a criticism.)

For whereas men of an older school, like myself, smoke for the pleasure of smoking...
    A.A. Milne
    Posted 1 year ago #
  24. User has not uploaded an avatar

Anonymous

Unregistered

Login to Send PM

Just to be clear, retrohaling, at least the way most cigar and pipe smokers do it, does not involved inhaling at all.

Retrohaling is basically releasing a puff of smoke through the nose instead of the mouth.

Posted 1 year ago #
  25. jwp159

jwp159

Login to Send PM

I have blew smoke through my nose when smoking my pipes for 20 years, didn't know there was a name for it. It just the way I learned to smoke. You learn something new every day I guess.

Posted 1 year ago #
  26. zonomo

zonomo

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Zonomo, did you know that your sense-of-taste is more realized through your nose (smell) than on your tongue?
    No I didn't know that but this thread has me thinking that I'd like to try it tonight. Does anyone know about any ill health effects? Is there a Dr. in the house?

Posted 1 year ago #
  27. zonomo

zonomo

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

[quote]here is a good video explaining "retrohaling" as described by cigar smoker Doc" Really outstanding video. Thanks for posting 05venturer

Posted 1 year ago #
  28. philip

Philip

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I sometimes blow smoke out my nose, but I do that for fun, not to enhance the flavor.

While it is true that your sense of taste is dependent on you sense of smell, you do not need to exhale through your nose to get the full flavor. I can tell the difference between my steak and my potatoes just fine without blowing any of it out my nose.

I tried exhaling Coca-Cola through my nose once. I got some good flavor that way, but it is not recommended.

Posted 1 year ago #
  29. undermidnight

undermidnight

Login to Send PM

Yup, I regularly retrohale. It does enhance the flavor. Some blends are not good to retrohale as they can burn.

I made the mistake of smoking straight perique once (only to see what it was like) and retrohaled it. There is a reason it is a "condiment" to be added to a blend and not smoked straight.

Jason

"The cosmos is also within us. We're made of star-stuff. We are a way for the cosmos to know itself." - Carl Sagan
    Posted 1 year ago #
  30. User has not uploaded an avatar

bogglor

Login to Send PM

I retrohale to gauge the nuances in a lot of blends. Most of them are lost without it. I also use it to tell how much perique in a Va/Per by the spicy tingle in my nose on exhale.

Posted 1 year ago #
  31. zonomo

zonomo

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I tried this last night. Was weird. I thnk I need to get used to it.

Posted 1 year ago #
  32. smokedragon

smokedragon

Login to Send PM

I'm pretty new to pipe smoking, but I've been working on having a cadence to my smoking. I add a nose exhale every third or fourth puff. At first, it may make you cough and feel weird. After you get used to it, it really can bring out more flavors. By exhaling through the nose, more smoke is making contact with receptors in the olfactory bulbs. Your senses of smell and taste are very closely linked.

Posted 1 year ago #
  33. anthonyrosenthal74

anthonyrosenthal74

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I tried this last night, and for the life of me, I could not blow smoke out my nose without inhaling first.

Posted 1 year ago #
  34. tanless1

tanless1

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I don't inhale , and I can still blow it out my nose.......yeaaaaa me!!

Posted 1 year ago #
  35. 05venturer

05venturer

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I tried this last night, and for the life of me, I could not blow smoke out my nose without inhaling first.

took me about 1/2 bowl before I got it down, now it's like second nature almost.

Posted 1 year ago #
  36. User has not uploaded an avatar

chopsie

Login to Send PM

Definitely makes a world of difference tastewise, have now tasted things in blends that I didn't understand how people tasted them when reading reviews. Chalked it up to my cigarette smoking.

Posted 1 year ago #
  37. zonomo

zonomo

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

now it's like second nature almost.

Posted 1 year ago #
  38. User has not uploaded an avatar

Anonymous

Unregistered

Login to Send PM

I wish Andrew Dice Clay smoked a pipe we would def have some cool pipe tricks to be practicing. I can see it now "Old motha hubard whats in your cellar!? HEEY!" *pipe comes spinning out of no where with a reach around the back of the head smoke out the nose crazy pipe light*

Posted 1 year ago #
  39. fitzy

fitzy

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

So after watching that video I was finally able to retrohale. I think I need to get used to it.

Midwest Wood Creations
    Be sure to check out Gecko13's handiwork when in the market for any of your pipe accessory needs such as tampers, cabinets, pipe racks etc.
    Posted 1 year ago #
  40. zonomo

zonomo

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I think I need to get used to it.
    Same. It still feels funny to me.

Posted 1 year ago #
  41. guerillapiper

guerillapiper

Login to Send PM

I do that. Exhaling through the nose combined with simultaneous taste makes for a more complete experience. And so what if it's bad for the nose. Pipe smoking is bad for your health too.

Posted 1 year ago #
  42. phred

phred

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Maybe it's all those years I spent in marching band, but I have no trouble moving smoke directly from mouth to nose without inhaling. I'm also experimenting with 'aiming' the stream of smoke at different parts of my tongue, the roof of my mouth, soft palate, back of the throat, etc. in order to hit as many taste buds as possible - you'd be surprised where those things turn up...

"De gustibus non est disputandum."
    Posted 1 year ago #
  43. dragonslayer

dragonslayer

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I don't think you'll ever get the full flavor of fine blends without allowing the smoke to flow through your nose. The ability to determine the delicate differences, especially in VA blends is essential. I can pick up the smallest hints of flavor, and changes through the bowl with every blend. From years of ageing cigars that have a much lighter change than pipe tobacco, I’m looking forward to picking out every little thing that has occurred. For me the little things in life are now very important, like the fullest enjoyment of my tobacco.

Also I never inhale.

“The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government - lest it come to dominate our lives and interests.” Patrick Henry
    Posted 1 year ago #
  44. User has not uploaded an avatar

lildutchboy

Login to Send PM

I instinctively retrohaled my pipe, even though i could never do it to a cigar when i smoked those. I also like to open my mouth and let in a little fresh air. It seems to perk up the flavor.

Posted 1 year ago #
  45. User has not uploaded an avatar

instymp

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

+1 Philip, spaghetti is worse. Wife has the crud that's going around and hasn't been able to taste any food she eats for the last week. Everytime I ask her what she wants for dinner she says she doesn't care, so last night I said "Good, calves liver!" She hates it. Didn't do it but, if you ain't using your schnaz, you aren't getting the taste/flavor.

Posted 1 year ago #

You must log in to post.

Back To Top  | Back to Forum Home Page

Members Online Now
   bulldogbriar89, lucky695, andystewart, rosney, jitterbugdude, brokenkrayon, papipeguy, junkyarddawg, grouchydog, admin, cosmicfolklore, edgreen, ericthered, oldreddog, jarit, cmdrmcbragg, johnnyreb, werebear, trailboss