PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

jvnshr

Staff member
Sep 4, 2015
Baku, Azerbaijan
Today we donated blood with a colleague of mine. I am 30 years old and I was doing it for the first time in my life. The blood we donated will go to 2 little girls who have thalessemia. And just by chance I learned that 8th of May is International Thalessemia Day. There are great benefits of blood donating for the donor as well. From now on at least twice a year I will be donating. Any blood donors around?

fluffie666

Can't Leave
Apr 4, 2014
I donate every time the Dracula van comes to my job. Two to three times a year. I forget what cause my job gives it to. It's probably cancer. Not really sure. I'm also an organ doner. I figure it's the least I can do for society after all the trouble I've caused earlier in life.

markus

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 18, 2014
Bloomfield, IN
I'm an organ donor as well.

I'm not sure they are still going to want them when I'm done with them though. :lol:

robwoodall

Can't Leave
Apr 29, 2015
I donate regularly, but I've never actually known who it was going to. That's really cool to know you are helping two specific little girls instead of some generic stranger.

iamn8

Lifer
Sep 8, 2014
Moody, AL
I used to donate very regularly, but my medications now prevent donations. I even attempted kidney donation, but meds prevented it :(

macaroon

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 2, 2015
Michigan
Yep, I donate fairly regularly. They're pretty good at pestering me to schedule my next donation, and I'm happy to oblige. Apparently there's high demand for B+ blood.

iajaffe

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 10, 2010
I'm up to 15 gallons in platelets! I used to donate a triple unit every 2 weeks like clock work in Sacramento. Now, in San Jose, the closest center is an hour away. I hope to start up again eventually.
I had to be careful on pipe club days. No virgina or burley for me! Otherwise I'd be spinning like a top.

jitterbugdude

Mar 25, 2014
I used to donate about every 2 months until the Red Cross closed their office. I now donate about every 3 months to the U.S. Military.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Used to donate regularly at work, over some years. Got a gallon pin somewhere along the way. Now with a med or two, and caretaker duties for my wife, I don't. But I was always pleased to do so. I felt like I'd done something undeniably useful and hoped my pints found their way to doing some real good. The Red Cross pros were always skilled, no second pokes needed. One pinch, and after that it was just waiting until the little bag was full. My first pints were in the Navy for the guys who needed it, right now.

jvnshr

Staff member
Sep 4, 2015
Baku, Azerbaijan
Wow, it is good to know that there are many donors here.
Macaroon, B+ here as well. Korean girls don't like it :) Check this out:
http://beyondhallyu.com/culture/its-in-your-blood-the-link-between-blood-types-and-personalities/

papipeguy

Lifer
Jul 31, 2010
Bethlehem, Pa.
Thanks for the reminder. It's been over a year since I last donated. Blood banks are always in dire need and it takes so little time to give the gift of life.

cobguy

Lifer
Oct 18, 2013
I've never actually known who it was going to.
It's very, very rare to do a directed donation and is usually for a rare antigen type.
Blood banks are always in dire need ...
So true ... I had to call the United Blood Services courier this evening and have them turn around and bring me my short-dated units back because of an open heart surgery that went south. O Negative is the "Universal Donor" and my blood type. Over the course of 20 years, I've given about 5 gallons of whole blood

gtrhtr

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 2, 2016
Thanks for the donation. I wish it were easier for people to donate. I'm no longer able to donate from my time in Afghanistan and Iraq, but the military still collects regularly, and it still isn't enough.

winton

Lifer
Oct 20, 2010
I have no idea how much I have donated since I turned 17. I can definitely say it is better to give than receive. A major health issue had me in ICU for a couple days a few years ago. Had to wait a year afterwards. Need to donate more often.

patiobum

Nov 5, 2009
Baytown,Texas
I started donating regularly every 8 weeks at my work place about 10 years ago and now I am retired so I donate with the city every quarter as my wife works at the local library.
A community service that take about 45 minutes.

jerwynn

Lifer
Dec 7, 2011
I donated all through my 20s... then Rx meds corrupted my blood and they didn't want it anymore... but not until I got my gold gallon pin or two. I was always very pleased to donate... service to humanity kind of thing. A couple years ago, I offered a kidney to the son of a family friend in need... but wasn't close enough a match or whatever was the decisive selection parameter. Got the organ donor thing on my driver's license. All these things seem like such small things we can do that can sometimes mean the entire world to someone else. I'm all for it.

Status
Not open for further replies.