PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mephistopheles

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 14, 2014
Hello all,
So I somehow ended up with a blockage in my stem. It's a gently bent prince style stem and I can't pass a pipe cleaner or shank brush through it for the life of me. The blockage is right around where the stem bends downward from what I can tell. Any suggestions? I'm not sending it somewhere to be fixed...
Thanks in advance for your replies.

Jan 8, 2013
Maybe try pushing a Falcon pipe cleaner through there if you have one or can get one. They're thinner than standard pipe cleaners so pushing it through might be a bit easier and could perhaps push out what's stuck in there. Just an idea worth trying I suppose.

mephistopheles

Oct 14, 2014
Thanks for the suggestion. I've actually been using a B.J. Long tapered cleaner because one end is very thin but it hasn't been working. If I had a piece of stiff wire that would fit I would try poking the blockage out. Maybe that's a bad idea though...

toby67

Can't Leave
Sep 30, 2014
Australia
I have a pipe I bought new like that, only got about a dozen bowls out of it and it's a wierd size stem so I'm finding it difficult to get a replacement, but the the pipe only cost $25 new at a tobacconist

agnosticpipe

Lifer
Nov 3, 2013
In the sticks in Mississippi
I've had good luck using something called a camping/backpacking saw. It's a very thin wire saw with a ring on each end used to saw small limbs from trees and such. I found it in the camping section at Walmart for a few dollars. You have to cut one of the rings off with wire cutters, but the wire is stiff and is very abrasive. Handy for opening narrow stems, and clearing out stuck stuff. Be careful though, as you don't want to over do it and mess up the button or tenon ends.

mcitinner1

Lifer
Apr 5, 2014
Missouri
I think you might help the clog soften in an alcohol bath. If it's a bit of tobacco and/or tar and/or fuzz from a pipe cleaner. 8)

johnnyreb

Lifer
Aug 21, 2014
And after the alcohol soak use some canned air with the tiny straw inserted into the stem as far as it will go towards the bend.

instymp

Lifer
Jul 30, 2012
Soak/saturate a stem brush with 150% proof whatever, had a Meerschaum I sold last week because it didn't draw right, cleaned it up a bit to send it & found out it was a piece of baccy or crap, that I could never clear with pipe cleaners.

torque

Can't Leave
May 21, 2013
Alcohol soak is most likely the answer as the tars from smoking have a tendency to build up in the bend. Only downside to soaking the whole stem is that it could bring out quite a bit of oxidation. I use an old visine bottle for my alcohol. Works perfectly as it's a reservoir and dropper all in a single unit. You might try something like that and just drop a couple of drops of alcohol into the airway to soak. If it's a tar blockage then it should soften up after a couple of treatments and also keep you from having to expose the outside of the stem to an oxidizing agent.

desertpipe

Might Stick Around
Nov 13, 2014
Country Boys use a piece of bailing wire, soak bit in warm water and detergent, and push 'er through. Almost always works the first go around, from one direction or the other.

gmwolford

Lifer
Jul 26, 2012
WV, USA
I've had good luck using something called a camping/backpacking saw. It's a very thin wire saw with a ring on each end used to saw small limbs from trees and such. I found it in the camping section at Walmart for a few dollars. You have to cut one of the rings off with wire cutters, but the wire is stiff and is very abrasive. Handy for opening narrow stems, and clearing out stuck stuff. Be careful though, as you don't want to over do it and mess up the button or tenon ends.

Orley that's an intriguing idea with several possible uses! Thanks for sharing it.

zack24

Lifer
May 11, 2013
If none of those fixes work, heat the stem, straighten it out and ream it by hand with a drill bit....and then heat and rebend...and if ya screw it up- send it out for a new stem....

mephistopheles

Oct 14, 2014
Update:
Thank you guys for all the suggestions. I must be dealing with an anomaly.

I've tried just about everything with no real luck. I've had some small pieces of tobacco or gunk fall loose, but I just can't get it.
I've tried: soaking it in high proof alcohol for several days, soaking it in warm water and dish soap, tried ramming it out with a stiff piece of copper wire, tried inserting a commando camp saw, tried the canned air...
It's just not coming out. I damaged the end of the mouthpiece with the copper wire a little bit but it isn't too bad. It maybe opened it up a little bit more which I guess can't hurt.
I don't really have any tools that are small enough to fit in the stem and I definitely don't trust myself enough to heat the stem up and reshape it.
Has anyone dealt with a stubborn blockage like this? I'm starting to worry...

wayneteipen

Can't Leave
May 7, 2012
Is it completely blocked? You didn't mention whether you could still draw from it or not just that it wouldn't pass a pipe cleaner. Also, has it always been this way or is this a recent problem with this pipe that you didn't have before?

mephistopheles

Oct 14, 2014
The draw is almost non-existent. Probably around 90-95% blocked if not more. If I run it under the sink barely any water comes out the opposite end.
This is an estate pipe I recently came into by the way. This wasn't my doing at all. The blockage is significant enough that the stiff copper wire that I'm using will actually take on a hard bend instead of pushing anything free.

mcitinner1

Lifer
Apr 5, 2014
Missouri
Time for the hand turned drill bit that comes with a senior reamer.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Adjustable-Senior-Reamer-Cleaning-Tool-w-Shank-Drill-Bit-for-Smoking-Pipes-1339-/221239573725?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3382e7fcdd

Status
Not open for further replies.