Blockade Runner, what do I do with this brick???

SmokingPipes.com Updates

12 Fresh Moonshine Pipes
120 Fresh Peterson Pipes
36 Fresh Nørding Pipes
6 Fresh Castello Pipes
108 Fresh Brulor Pipes

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

uperepik

(Oldtown)
Mar 8, 2017
Ok guys, I bought a tin of blockade runner, do I just break this up by hand, cut it up what?

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Smoking Pipes also has a video series on different cuts and how to prepare them.
https://youtu.be/00lLHMZ2-gU

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
With plugs, I was taught to cut them vertically in relatively thin slices, to get all the layers and constituent tobaccos, then rub them out -- what I usually do -- or fold and stuff, or however you like. You will like plugs. They stay fresh a long time (though still jar them) and can give a full-length smoke in a small pipe. Because they are sold mostly to experienced smokers, the blending tends to be well crafted. Blenders know this is a critical audience, or I imagine they do.

swilford

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 30, 2010
Longs, SC
corporate.laudisi.com
In this case, you can just break off a corner and rub it out; no knife needed. It's ribbon pressed (a cake), not leaf pressed (a plug), so this works just fine. MSO is right about plugs though: they need to be cut with a knife. It's can be confusing since C&D makes both cakes and plugs, but most of the best-known ones are cakes: Pirate Kake, Blockade Runner, Black Frigate, Briar Fox, Bourbon Bleu etc etc
Sykes

uperepik

(Oldtown)
Mar 8, 2017
This is a year and a half old tin I bought from Mcitinner1, not sure how much difference that makes but I like it. Even though it has rum it's different from an aro. Smells great. I like the fact that I'm getting more flavor the further down the bowl I go. Great aftertaste also. Not that I know squat about tobaccos yet

tinsel

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 23, 2015
Wow, I had never heard of this blend until I clicked on this thread. Reading the blend description, it sounds like this would be right up my alley, and I'm in desperate need of a new blend. I'm gonna have to get some of this!

downinit

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 18, 2016
A good navy cake that crumbles easily, highly recommended. More than just a hint of rum though.

With both Blockade Runner and Black Frigate, I've found I can pretty much peel the cake in layers. I'll peel a layer, or two, depending on the size of the bowl, and break it into pieces just small enough to pack. Smaller bits get added to the top before lighting. Both smoke well this way.

jmatt

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 25, 2014
Take swilford's word for it. For the new-to-piping crowd, swilford = Sykes Wilford = Owner of C&D.

uperepik

(Oldtown)
Mar 8, 2017
Still pleased with blockade runner after a few bowls. Need to try briar fox and A few others.

Status
Not open for further replies.