PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mikethompson

Lifer
Jun 26, 2016
Near Toronto, Ontario, Canada
I'm building a nice little cart on smokingpipes, and want to give one of these a try. The reviews for both are quite similar. Does the extra Latakia and Turkish make the Stoved Virginia's pop? My understanding is that Blockade Runner serves as the base and latakia and Turkish are added to make Black Frigate.
:?:
Thanks in advance to the crew :)

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Both are good in their own right. Just depends on what you are looking for. BR is a sweet Virginia rum bomb, and BF is a nicely balanced blend with Latakia far in the background with a sweet rum edge. I keep both on hand and enjoy both very much. And you are correct BR is the base for BF.

condorlover1

Lifer
Dec 22, 2013
New York
I purchased a tin of BF and really didn't care for it. I am sure it has its fans and devotees as I have read here but it just wasn't for me. I said I would try it out on another thread and Jim Inks was absolutely right when he said to me those immortal words...'Your not going to like BF as I know your taste in tobacco' but as they say nothing ventured, nothing gained. Maybe its just me but unless it is something I have to cut up myself from a plug or a twist it just seems to burn too damned hot for me to gain any form of enjoyment from these much talked about blends.

bnichols23

Lifer
Mar 13, 2018
SC Piedmont
What Duane (embers) said. Frankly, as I think it was Webster said about Dartmouth, "It's a small place, but there are those who love it." Some tolerate BF, some hate it, & we are "those who love it." If you don't like it, Blockade Runner & Belmont Station, both also from C&D, are great choices also!

lightmybriar

Lifer
Mar 11, 2014
I have had Blockade Runner and it isn’t to my taste at all. All I taste is rum, with a cigarette undertone. This has been what has kept me from trying Black Frigate. There are plenty of people here who like both, so I’m sure it is a fine tobacco, it just isn’t to my personal taste, which is strange because VaPers are my main smoke. I’ve got a tin with about 3 years of age on it stashed away. I’m hoping to revisit it someday and perhaps have a new appreciation for it.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
This is an good reminder of the closeness of the two blends. I enjoy BF and suspect I'd like BR as well. Rum and bourbon or Irish whiskey are my favorite flavorings as long as a blend is tobacco forward. I want the flavoring to bring up the tobacco and not the other way around, to my sense of taste.

Jan 8, 2013
Black Frigate, to me, is like when it's really cold in the house and you just put on a warm pair of underwear fresh out of the dryer :mrgreen:

btp79

Can't Leave
Jan 27, 2018
Sugar Land, TX
As far as I know, BF is the only blend I've seen resulting in the posting of a psychedelic unicorn. So I bought 3 tins based off of that alone.

• Haha
Reactions: vates

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Guess I'll use my smallest pipe and pack no more than 1 gram of BF then.
I actually commissioned a big one just for it.
img_20160828_151558.jpg

bnichols23

Lifer
Mar 13, 2018
SC Piedmont
Who, YOU, anthony? Nah, I just thought it was reverb from Jay's avatar. [I've abused you enough about the cf. ;) Even *I* show *some* mercy occasionally!] :twisted:

Status
Not open for further replies.