PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

hierophant

Lifer
Jul 27, 2014
So that will make for a perfect day or two of sitting inside, sipping a beverage and some contemplative puffing. The only bad thing is I have an order from SPC on the way and it is currently in CT...and so is likely to stay there for some time. It was supposed to be here in MA tomorrow, but that ain't gonna happen.
No worries, I have plenty to see me through. Old Dark Fired and Pirate Kake seem to me to be perfect blizzard tobaccos. :D

blueeyedogre

Lifer
Oct 17, 2013
Button up and stay warm. Add some water to your fridge and maybe grab a few cans of sterno. Nothing sucks more in a blizzard then a power outage and no way to make a good cup of coffee.

jmill208

Lifer
Dec 8, 2013
Maryland USA
So far here in MD, (DC Suburbs) our storm has turned out to be nothing more than another Washington DC Media Sponsored Weather (non) Event.
There is very little accuracy and truth in weather prediction apparently, so only God knows what the next 24 hours will bring.
But, as of now, after a whipped up frenetic frenzy by local media outlets predicting gloom, doom and absolute mayhem - it's been a bust.

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
A fireplace, picture window, hot chocolate with marshmallows, pipe and slippers, the dog curled up at your feet and a calm mind can make a blizzard a wonderful event.
A job, living in the city, no heat or electricity, no tobacco but lots of pipes sitting useless on the rack and . . . not so much!
Oh! Having a generator helps greatly. Gotta keep the fridge and furnace going.

delro

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 7, 2015
I am also in in MASS, looking forward to sitting in my garage wrapped up like the kid from "A Christmas Story" smoking. Had work off those days anyway go figure :/

ctron

Lurker
Mar 25, 2013
I just got my order from SPC today, just in time. My college has already cancelled classes for the rest of today and tomorrow. Stay safe and warm!

wyfbane

Lifer
Apr 26, 2013
Tennessee
The media likes to rule by fear. Probably won't be as bad as reported.
If it is, be safe back there and smoke one for me!

mgolfd

Might Stick Around
Nov 19, 2012
Brooklyn, N.Y.
Hey Hey take it easy on us New Yorkers. I only complain cause I dont like the cold, but between the career and the kids NYC is home. I am anxiously awaiting warmth and golf weather which, as it is snowing right now seems to far away for me.

seagullplayer

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 30, 2014
Indiana
I have been convinced for years that weathermen get a kick-back from the grocery chains.
Either way, its still better to stay home if ya got the chance...
Stay safe

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
I yearn for the days before mass media weather prognosticators. When you didn't know that it was coming, and when it got there, you had no idea what was going to happen.
FWIW, I looked at the local online forecast, read some of the asinine comments, and started to get sucked in by it all. It just takes all the mystery out of life.
I think that we might get 12" of snow...but whether it's 12 or 11 or 5 or 3", it should be beautiful.

hierophant

Lifer
Jul 27, 2014
I agree with the weather hysteria hate...it's both amusing and annoying at the same time. Usually it seems for big events like this they get pretty close to right; I guess the signs are just too obvious. In case they are right, I ran out to the local B&M at lunch and grabbed a couple of their store blends I've been wanting to try. Just to be sure I have enough to get through :)

pruss

Lifer
Feb 6, 2013
Mytown
Dear American Cousin:
Please remember the following things that we Canadians have to re-learn every October.
1) Travelling at the same speeds on snow covered roads that you did on dry roads is not wise.

2) Shoveling your driveway is taxing. Take it slow. One scoop at a time. Take a break when you get winded, and then start again when you get your breath back. No one needs to die over a shoveled driveway.

3) If you can't see 10' in front of you, and the snow isn't letting up, and the road hasn't been plowed, and you don't have a winter survival kit in your car... stay home.

4) A winter survival kit for your car should include: a shovel, a windshield scraper, a small broom, battery powered radio, bottled water, non-perishable high calorie food (snack bars, candy bars, etc.), matches, small candles, extra hats, extra mitts, extra gloves, blanket or sleeping bag, rock salt/kitty litter/sand, first aid kit, jumper cables, emergency flares, cell phone charger/adapter and cable, any prescription meds., a whistle.

5) If someone else looks like they are struggling (driving, shoveling, walking, waiting for a bus, having a smoke...) stop and ask if they need help. The best thing that they can say is, "Nope."
Good luck with Snowmageddon.
-- Pat

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
All sage advice, Pat.
I was a news photographer for many years, and loved shooting storms. I carried most of what you listed, plus an extra sleeping bag in case I came upon a wreck. In the era before cell phones, that wasn't uncommon, and I've left perhaps a half dozen old army sleeping bags with car crash victims over the years. Also kept an Esbit stove and some freeze-dried meals in the car. Nowadays, there's always a few MRE's with heaters in the trunk.

If you can, add an inverter and small electric kettle to that list. Getting hot fluids into a cold body is important. A cup of coffee or hot chocolate was a real treat when I was on the road making pictures, or staking out a news event in the cold.

Status
Not open for further replies.