PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

12pups

Lifer
Feb 9, 2014
Minnesota
Maybe I’m not going to try so hard to increase the sophistication of my tastes. There’s something to be said about enjoying simple things. Something related to “ignorance is bliss.”
I was smoking Nightcap last night. Not bad, but to tell the truth, not something I would consider a “go to” yet. And I was smoking Crown Achievement right up until the point I got the flu. I wasn’t quite sold on CA yet, and now, I’m afraid, it’s permanently associated with queasiness and vomit. It was the last taste in my mouth before I went home from work sick. In fact, it was almost as if *it* made me sick, but I realize it was an unfortunate coincidence that the night before I had smoked several bowls of that unfamiliar-to-me exotic spiciness and one that morning.
I smelled it again when I was well enough to move about and I just about folded over right there retching again. Even now, a week later, I can’t stand the smell of it. I think it’s ruined for me.
Taste, like our other senses, is such a tricky thing. Mutable. Fallible. Deceivable.
You know, I’m not sure I want to have too sophisticated a taste for tobacco anyway. At least not right now.
I was thinking of my preference for artificial banana flavor over foods flavored with natural banana. Bananas are fine. I like them. But give me a choice between a banana malt made with real bananas and one made with artificial banana flavoring, it’s not even close. I learned to like artificial banana as a kid and it’s a nostalgic pleasure even today.
Bottom line, it’s about pleasure, isn’t it? And what pleases is so often an acquired taste. Isn’t that true? I guess it just depends.
I’m afraid with tobacco I might go the route I took with scotch. Most of us don’t automatically like beer or scotch, right. When I was a young bartender, I hated scotch. Stump water. Bleck. However, while I was in England, and then later touring Scotland, I was “introduced” to scotches. And these weren’t cheap-import blended bar scotches from back home.
One day a man recognizing me as American showed me how he could imitate John Wayne knocking back a shot, just for a joke. Tossing it back and then clapping the little glass on the bar, he said to the bartender, “Hit me again, Mick.” And we all laughed. He asked me which label I liked, indicating the scotches. I told him I didn’t like scotch. He said, “You say that as if they all tasted the same. It’s not all that rubbish that gets exported to America, you know. What did you try? Walker? Scrapings from the bottom of the barrel. Get up here and we’ll teach you about scotch.”
He had Mick line up shots from nine labels he called out. Mick dropped a “sixth of a gill” (about 2/3s of an ounce, my fellow Americans) from each bottle into a shot glass, all in a line. One, egad… soap! Another, fwhuck, dirt! But the next, something earthy and smoky. Nice. And then next, I swear the sip was followed immediately by belching coal dust… but I liked it. Strange to me, new, but I liked it. Then another he said was a favorite export to the U.S. This was less peaty and more like Tennessee bourbon.
We got it down to three highlands: Glenmorangie, Glenfiddich and Glenlivet. I had actually stayed at a dairy in Livet, Scotland, so I *wanted* to like it most. But, no, my taste buds favored the first two. My host was amused, saying that I had just picked two of the most popular labels. I must be a scotch drinker after all.
And then I settled on my favorite: Glenmorangie. It was my new “thing.”
I barely made up the stairs to Hall for lunch that day. And when I found a seat and settled in, a friend asked me, “What have *you* been doing? You look so flushed.”
I told her, “I’ve been learning Scotch.” She asked what could I say. And I told her, “Highland Park, Glendronach Glenmorangie, Glenfiddich, and Glenlivet.”
So at my graduation, where I had been valedictorian, when the class president asked if she could by me a drink, I said yes, please: a Glenmorangie.
When she came back she was not pleased. A shot had cost her more than 10 pounds. I was astounded because back in those days, I had been having shots for 75p each. I went to the bartender to get her the change she deserved. But he produced the bottle. It was not tall and skinny but squat, and it had a big card tied to its neck with a gold cord. I moved the tag aside and saw “Aged 35 Years.”
I just wanted regular old Glen, but I tell you what, this old farm boy recognized the difference. This was smooth. This was a different texture, pure flavor, no cutting alcohol feel over the top of the flavor. Where was the bite? It was mellow and warm and rich and its deliciousness lingered long after a sip……. And at what, about $180/bottle?
Yikes.
Now 30 years later, I’m sure it’s much higher than that. I see 30 and 40 year old scotches going for $400 to $800 a bottle. Point is, I developed a taste for single malts, dammit. Bar blendeds still turn my lips up, but some single malts have me by the nads. And I have to be careful, limiting myself to the lower range of “Glens.” Recently I’ve switched to Nadurra Glenlivet. Might be a fad thing with me, but at $65-$80/bottle, I don’t dare taste something more expensive – because I’ll like it more.
In fact, I figured maybe I should stick to home. I revisited Jack Daniels No. 7 and declared it “good enough.” Maybe overseas it, too, commands higher prices. But sipping Jack, I’m okay. And when I don’t want a full Jack, it goes good in Diet Coke. Now you don’t see that with scotches much, do you.
So back to pipe tobacco. How do I want to develop my taste in tobacco. Hmmm...
I don’t think I want to go the scotch route just yet. I think I’m sticking with my artificial banana scheme: stick with what I first liked. It gave me pleasure as a kid, high school student, college student and young husband. It takes me back now to those times and still feels familiar and pleasant and homey.
It's not really about price. Just pleasure. I could have gotten some really high-rated samples for the same price I got my Argosy Match from P&C, Cherry Cordial, Sir Walter Raleigh, Half n Half, Captain Black and Blender’s Gold Natural – I’m good.
Maybe someday I’ll visit latakias and periques again. For now, drug store baccy is just fine for this unsophisticated man. Close at hand. Familiar. Pleasing.

Jan 8, 2013
Nothing wrong with sticking with what works. Hell, if it hadn't been for another member here, I would have never tried half the blends I have tried now. When I started, I started with what smelled good in the jars at the B&M. I decided I liked the Waffle House, so I smoked it for about a year straight. My tastes are expanding a bit now, but I still smoke at least one bowl of Waffle House a day. It works, I know exactly how to smoke it, and it's not expensive. I even bought a 12oz bag of Smoker's Pride vanilla cav and mixed in 4oz of McClelland Vanilla Black for flavor. All and all, the whole pound cost me about 30 bucks. Sure, its not fancy, but my wife doesn't mind the smell, and it doesn't break the bank.

Good read.

The thing about drug store blends verses a fine aged Virginia, is that the drug store blend can be more expensive than the finer Va. Oz to oz, a drug store blend here is about $5-7 for a 1.5 oz pouch, and a Oz of most bulk belds is way less than that.
But, for taste, I love Carter Hall. Not all the time, but just when I want to smoke without all the sweetness. Nothing wrong with that.
As for alcohol, I've just never been able to stomach any of it, nor the way it makes me feel. One sip of something just reminds me of having the flu or something. Maybe it is similar to your Crown Achievement issues. IDK. I just know that friends used to love to take me out to the bars. I'd drive, and they'd even buy my coffee for me all night. And, I'd be the only one sober enough to score :wink:

brdavidson

Lifer
Dec 30, 2012
12Pups, I hear you. Earlier this week I posted about my Cheeseburger Tastes. My go to smoke is Carter Hall, I love the simple nuttiness of it. It's simple, satisfies, is low in Lady N and never bites my tongue. I love some more expensive blends like Escudo, Dunhill 965 and SG Best Brown Flake, but given the choice its probably 80% of the time I reach for Carter Hall.
I liken it to "treating" myself on the weekend when I have some more time available, that's when I'll break into the good stuff. Sign me up to the brotherhood of the unsophisticated!
Brian

shutterbugg

Lifer
Nov 18, 2013
LOL it's fine with me if someone wants to shred their unwashed gym socks and smoke it. Everyone has a right to their own taste, and to change their taste at will.

May 31, 2012
Once again, a topshelf 12pups post, really enjoyed the read...
...and, much like you I'd say that I have an unsophisticated palate - I like really stout flavorbomb baccy the most.
I've only been with pipe 2.5 years and during that time my palate has grown considerably, by smoking a pretty good variety of stuff, and experiencing aged tobacco also helped the tuning. I now know what I like, but I'm always surprised too - I despised Latakia for a long time and now I love it.
What I cannot do is take the analytical approach and focus on gentle nuance or soft subtleties - I tried doing that and it wasn't fun, I didn't enjoy it. If a baccy is too mild for me to enjoy, I now know that I shouldn't try to force myself to like it, maybe one day I'll be able to appreciate such things, but for the moment I'm very content with my caveman reaction, if the baccy gives me sonorous sensuality and deep satisfaction, that's enough for me...
...I wanted to be "sophisticated" but how I approached it and my worldview of what exactly that pertained to, actually stifled my progress and took the enjoyment out of it all --- I prefer to go with my immediate visceral sensations and just go with my gut, I ain't gonna try to "train" my palate as I once did, what happens will happen and as long as the pipesmoker is happy with whatever choices they make, all will be well.
I've actually come a long way, but I have yet much further to go.
I look forward to the journey!

12pups

Lifer
Feb 9, 2014
Minnesota
Cosmic -- I'm putting my orders in with you, man! Here Captain Black is anywhere from $10.75 to $13.50 per 1.5 oz pouch. (Or was it 1.7? Something I just picked up I noticed was 1.7).
So when I go on P&C, I keep seeing things that are special blends that cost half that. You have to figure in shipping, but just order more samples or greater quantities and that evens out.
At lunch today I was smoking Captain Black. After my recent illness, not much about pipes appeals to me. I accidentally lifted a pipe I'd smoked CA in to my lips and wanted to rinse my mouth out with diesel fuel to get it out. But Captain -- an old friend -- patted my tongue with his dense, cool waves of soft smoke, reassuring me that no, there's still pleasure to be had: "Come back, boy. Come back to the pipe."
Prices? How widely ARE the prices fluctuating. What are you guys paying for SWR, CB and HH where you are?

buster

Lifer
Sep 1, 2011
A pouch of CB is around $10 where I live. 1Q is cheaper per ounce as are some other bulks. Wish I could find sugar barrel locally. :(
As for scotch, I like single malts but buy good ole J&B or Dewer's most of the time. Jack Daniels is to sweet for me nowadays but he and I are aquatinted. I understand the association to illness and flavor as you mentioned. I can't stand the sight of Southern comfort to this day. Even mention peppermint schnapps and I have to swallow hard.

12pups

Lifer
Feb 9, 2014
Minnesota
Brian, your membership card is in the mail. Till then print this temporary card:
08268623-0fff-420f-9a62-55a1ea3dd6f7_zpse3b661fc.jpg

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I thought when I unsealed some tins of Dunhill and went on from there to some of the choicer

blends, my days of over-the-counter tobaccos were over, but I find that going back to some of

the OTC's is a pleasant experience, and a way to get the full intricacy of the finer blends when I go

back to them. I'm enjoying an entirely satisfying bowl of Carter Hall as I "speak." My Kaywoodie,

Dr. Grabow, and MM cobs serve the same function on my pipe rack, beside the Ser Jacopo and some

handsome middle grade pipes.

12pups

Lifer
Feb 9, 2014
Minnesota
mso --
For me, they're like "home base" and the others are exotic excursions.
...but I find that going back to some of the OTC's is a pleasant experience, and a way to get the full intricacy of the finer blends when I go back to them.
I'll get you a membership card ready.
:)
brdavidson -- the number isn't random. Did you catch that?

petes03

Lifer
Jun 23, 2013
The Hills of Tennessee
You gotta smoke what you like man!

For a long time I only had 6 or so blends that I liked, but in the last couple of years my tastes have really evolved.

I now enjoy a VERY wide range of blends, from all different genres (except Lakelands, I still can't tolerate those!)

12pups

Lifer
Feb 9, 2014
Minnesota
Pete -- I hear ya. This stupid Crown Achievement is spoiling me. I can feel myself going to the sophisticated side.
Must.... resist. Reputation... at stake....
No use. I like the stuff. Just had two bowls of it and that sweet flavor is hanging with me now till bedtime.
Deuce -- yep. I write for the mining, construction and energy industries. Usually a little more dry and technical. Thanks for the kind words!

simnettpratt

Lifer
Nov 21, 2011
This is why I hang out with you people. Just quality all around.
pups, that was awesome, write some more for us OK?

12pups

Lifer
Feb 9, 2014
Minnesota
LOL
I never know when my last post might be my "last" post. Each time I think, "There. I've gotten it out and have nothing more to say. I'll just be a lurker from now on."
But then an idea sprouts. And I can't get it off my mind. Have to work it out.
Writing forces coherence, logic. It takes all the little shreds of mental tobacco and tamps them down nice and tame. Chars them. Neatens them up. Then sends them to full flavor.
And if I'm going to write it out anyway, might as well post it, hey?
Thanks, simnettpratt!

12pups

Lifer
Feb 9, 2014
Minnesota
Actually worth it to have you pick me up some, pay you for your trouble, and reimburse you for shipping! We can't get it for that.
But that's on base, you say? So no state "sin" taxes applied to it.

Status
Not open for further replies.