PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

brass

Lifer
Jun 4, 2014
United States
With the assistance of fellow members here at Pipes Magazine, I am rich with some long sought tobaccos. While not large quantities, I now have a selection of Condor, St. Bruno, Rich Dark Flake and aged Stonehaven.
Condor is every bit as good as it's reputation. It is sitting on my smoking table within easy reach.
I may adopt St. Bruno as a patron saint - if I could figure out which one is the namesake for the tobacco. According to Wikipedia, St. Bruno may refer to:
  1. Bruno of Cologne (c. 1030–1101), German founder of the Carthusian Order[/*]
  2. Bruno the Great (925–965), German Archbishop of Cologne and Duke of Lotharingia[/*]
  3. Bruno of Querfurt (c. 974–1009), German missionary bishop and martyr[/*]
  4. Bruno (Bishop of Segni) (c. 1047–1123), Italian Bishop of Segni and Abbot of Montecassino[/*]
  5. Bruno, Duke of Saxony (c. 880) one of the Martyrs of Ebsdorf[/*]
I also have a ten year old bag of Stonehaven that I'm saving for a special occasion.
Speaking of Stonehavne, some claim that Rich Dark Flake is Stonehaven re-packaged for the British market. If true, it wouldn't surprise me. Both have that sumptuous prune, fig, apricot, molasses aroma. Whether it is the same or just similar, Rich Dark Flake is every bit as good to my tastes as Stonehaven. It comes in similar sticky flake slices. It may take an extra charring light or two but once lit, burns solidly and cooly.
The problem is that RDF costs about as much as Stonehaven does on ebay - at least if you're ordering from the UK. Even there, I think the duty on tobacco is around $74 per pound.
I think for now, my TAD has been quieted. I still have some items in my wish list but between the Tobacco Crawl and my current stash, I could probably smoke until the new year without having to open a new tin.
Sometimes soon, I will be hosting a pipe tobacco herf at my home in the Maryland DC suburbs and will be sharing some of these treasures. The word herf comes from the cigar world. No one really knows the origin of the term but it refers to a social gathering featuring fine whiskeys and cigars.
I'll post the announcement soon.

Status
Not open for further replies.