PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

perdurabo

Lifer
Jun 3, 2015
Lately I've been diving back into Balkan and English blends. The weather cools down and I love the way Latakia smokes in the fall and winter. So Captain Earle's Mystic Blend and McClelland's Balkan Blue find there way into my pipe this year. Both blends have at least three years of age on them and their delicious. As my wife and I cook dinner, I gravitate towards these two blends, I'm always drinking Scotch and she's drinks her Cabernet. Cab and Sctoch go great with English mixtures. So any way, she asks me to try what I'm smoking one evening. I'm smoking some Mystic Blend, I hand her the pipe, tell her the stats on the blend and she continues to puff. Another evening it's Balkan Blue and I give the stats, etc. etc. The next evening its Mystic Blend, only this time, while I'm making the mash potatoes, she takes the pipe and I forget about her and the pipe. I turn around, there she is looking at me, pipe in her mouth saying, "This is a blend I can't live without. You've got to get some more of this stuff." I say, "Yea, no shit, I bought one tin of Mystic Blend and should have ordered 100."
So last night she comes home from work and I'm binge smoking Mad Fiddler Flake. She wants to try it because of the katsuri leaf. She draws in the smoke and is amazed of the cinnamon profile, the dry clove spice, she was even picking up the plum note of perique. She hands the pipe back to me, goes about her business, and comes back in the room and asks me, " Let me guess you only ordered one tin?" I said, "Yea, I didn't know I'd like the Katsuri leaf." She smiles and says, "You should have ordered a 100 tins."

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
She sounds like fun. And now she knows a few things she can buy you anytime to make a nice gift. Smart lady.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I'll keep Katsuri in mind, sounds unique and good. I can't do cinnamon and clove, must be sensitive to 'em. But the Katsuri sounds appealing.

perdurabo

Lifer
Jun 3, 2015
Mso, don't get any ideas that Cinnamon and cloves where added to a sauce, these are secondary flavors I'm picking up that you may find to be different. Like Katerini is usually described as being curry like, but I get a cinnamon spice from it. At times it can be like curry powder, but it's a subjective thing. Of course you know this, I just wanted to be clear that it's not an added flavor.

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
I go back into my lab and tinker on my lasagna blend. Smokes well, bit of a garlic blast though.

theloniousmonkfish

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 1, 2017
We have enough desert styled blends, why not something more savory for people without a sweet tooth? Loaded potato skins? Sourdough pretzel and horseradish?

Status
Not open for further replies.