PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

alexnc

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 25, 2015
Southeast US
Being from NC - and knowing a few others are too, I was interested in finding blends using what might be growing all around me. I contacted C&D and got this advice, they were very nice, this is an excerpt.
“Thanks for the email! The Red Virginia tobacco we use comes from Eastern NC. All of it. So whether you are looking at Bijou, Speakeasy, Opening Night, Bayou Morning, Star of the East, or any other blend that we make that contains Red VA, that tobacco component is from NC.  
I have been smoking Speakeasy almost exclusively for the last several weeks and heartily recommend it, and of course Bijou as you already mentioned. Both are great blends.”
Of course Red Carpet would be one of these - which will get popped shortly!

pitchfork

Lifer
May 25, 2012
Born and raised. That's really interesting to hear about C&D red virginias -- thanks for looking into that. Several Christmas Cheer vintages come from NC crops, while 2000 CC was "harvested near Danville, [VA]" which is just over the border. Also, Escudo claims to have NC-grown VAs in it.

deatobacco

Lurker
Apr 23, 2016
Interesting indeed. I was born and raised in central NC, but moved away 20 years ago for work. I haven't tried any of the C&D blends yet as I'm relatively new to pipe smoking and haven't had time to explore widely. This information is helpful for me, though, mostly because I have gravitated toward smoking Virginia blends, which I really love. Knowing a blend was produced from tobacco grown in my home state would just be another reason to enjoy it even more. :puffpipe:

tomnernas2ndson

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 27, 2011
Nebraska
I have been a supporter of the C&D blends, mostly burley and english blends, for 20 years. They tend to be drier then most blends, but a little rehydrating for a day or two really brings them around. Star of the East, Morley's Best, Haunted Bookshop and Old Joe Krantz are among my favorites.

alexnc

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 25, 2015
Southeast US
That also applies to the GL Pease blends they make with their blending components, I just confirmed today. Good to know!

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I have lived in N.C. most of my adult life, since I left the Navy in the early '70s, and have never owned property elsewhere. Thank you for this thread. It would be pleasing to me to know I was smoking the local product ... will be pleasing to me. C&D is one of my go-to blenders.

Dec 28, 2015
^
c83015c2-d7d2-41b5-bdd9-f27ac97e564c-2341-000001bca26fc531-600x436.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.