PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 2, 2018
Quebec City area, Canada
Hi everyone! I enjoy very much GLP Key Largo so I recently took the decision to explore blends that are including cigar leaves. Some C&D Habana Dreams and GLP Robusto tins are actually on their way to my home. Here is my main question: What kind of briar pipe should I use to maximize my experience of this type of blends? Tall bowls? Wide ones? Also, any suggestions related to how filling the pipe for these? Rubbing KL is not giving me better results than simply cutting in half the chunks provided in the tin. Thank you in advance for your time and information! Bruno

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
You'll get some suggestions on type (size) and , but it makes no difference to me. If you think a pot shape, for example, smokes XYZ best, it does for you, so go for it.
For loading pipe, I just dry it and finger stuff it, though somewhat gently.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I have a folklore notion that wider bowls -- like pots, authors, diplomats in some cases -- spread out blends and give a better merging of blends. But I'm proved wrong every time I pack a medium or narrow chamber pipe. Billy Budd is a cigar leaf blend I like. Also, you can buy C&D or other cigar leaf condiment and add it to any blend that strikes your fancy for the purpose.

jeffro

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 18, 2017
A couple other cigar leaf tobaccos to consider are.

Lane Limited: Andullo. and Cornell & Diehl: Purple Cow
As far as pipe shape I don't think it matters that much for a change in flavor in the cigar blends I have smoked.
I might explore that more just to see If It can effect the flavors for me.

For example a small pot shape pipe compared to a tall billard,
I have smoked Key Largo tobacco in a briar pipe and a corn cob pipe and in a meerschaum pipe.

the tobacco tasted a bit different in each pipe. That might be fun for you to explore.
If you where smoking primarily a Virginia tobacco or a Latikia heavy tobacco I feel that pipe shape can effect the flavors.

redglow

Lifer
Jan 7, 2019
Michigan
I'll second mso on the Billy Budd. Just tried some for the first time on Friday night. It was "delish". A real keeper.

blendtobac

Lifer
Oct 16, 2009
Many times, when I've used cigar leaf in a blend it's more to increase the volume of smoke than for flavor. The relatively high oil content makes for a creamier smoke.

That said, 'cigar leaf' is a broad category because it not only includes the wide variety of cigar leaf types, but also can include dark Burley, dark air-cured, and dark-fired Kentucky, since all of them are used in cigars.
Russ

butsiethesungo

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 3, 2016
Broussard, LA
This is a great post! I’ve smoked cigars for nearly 20 years before switching over to the pipe. Recently, I tried C&D Mountain Camp and loved it. I can taste the cigar leaves in the blend, so i am interested in trying more blends that contain cigar leaves.
What blends do you guys recommend adding cigar leaves to?
I’ve inherited a bunch a Lane RLP-6 from a fellow pipe smoker. It’s a very mild blend for me (I am a burley lover) and was thinking of ordering some cigar leaf and adding to the RLP-6. Anyone ever tried? Was it a good experience or did it just mess it up?

aquadoc

Lifer
Feb 15, 2017
New Hampshire, USA
Russ, do you use all of those tobaccos in the same manner or do they have characteristics that you use for specific purposes? For instance, Billy Budd is a creamy, buttery blend and while it does not scream cigar, you can tell it is there. My favorite blend by far.

Status
Not open for further replies.