Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

nitemair13

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 24, 2018
North Carolina
Currently smoking Peterson's luxury blend and enjoying a Guinness along with it. They go together alright but was wondering if there was a particular blend that suited this beer or is all just personal taste? Valid I don't drink beer that often but I'd like to have a nice blend saved for when I do.

workman

Lifer
Jan 5, 2018
The Faroe Islands
It's all personal taste. When I smoke Lakeland Dark, I find a strong porter helps me find the sweetness in that particular blend. Guinness is flavourful but not very strong, so I would smoke something like Hal o' the Wynd or St Bruno Flake with it. Fruity sweetness to contrast the bitterness of the beer.

aldecaker

Lifer
Feb 13, 2015
I'm being completely honest here: I have never, ever found a blend that did not go well with Guinness.

workman

Lifer
Jan 5, 2018
The Faroe Islands
I really like a well poured Guinness. I prefer to swallow it in three or four gulps. Bars here don't allow smoking and the cans are just not as good as the draught. So I haven't had the pleasure of smoking a pipe with a Guinness.

npod

Lifer
Jun 11, 2017
Three must try blend matches to Guinness (from personal experience)
1. HH Burley Flake (or Solani Aged Burley Flake)

2. G&H Bob’s Chocolate Flake

3. Any VaBur
Note: Esoterica Stonehaven and Guinness go together like peas and carrots, but alas she is a wee bit scarce.

lawdawg

Lifer
Aug 25, 2016
On a similar note, in the colder months, I love a good oatmeal stout with an English blend.
On an unrelated note, after I wrap up my chores for the day, I'm looking forward to a bowl of Gawith FVF this afternoon accompanied by a glass of scotch from the bottle of Laphroaig I opened last night :puffy:

josephcross

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 30, 2015
Law, was that the 10 year or Quarter Cask? I’m convinced Guinness will pair well with just about any tobacco.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
This is just a thought experiment for me, so I'm all disclaimer. I really like Guinness, and I like a variety of blends with special weakness for burley leaf and blends. But Guinness is a fairly heavy brew, with that measured sweetness and brawny flavor. To me it needs a lighter dryer blend to ride above its mouth-coating substance, like a Va/Per without dark-fired. It would be good with many blends, but I think it would mute some of the leaf in most. And, as added value, this reminder: When in Ireland or at an Irish bar elsewhere, when ordering Guinness on draft, remember, drawing a pint is a fine art and takes a wee bit of time. So be patient. A good bar tender will take time with Guinness and let it settle in the glass to give the best sipping (or chugging) qualities.

lawdawg

Lifer
Aug 25, 2016
Law, was that the 10 year or Quarter Cask? I’m convinced Guinness will pair well with just about any tobacco.
Just the standard 10 year Laphroaig. I have not tried the quarter cask, but I drank a bottle of the 10 year cask strength last year and it was excellent. Same flavor, just bigger and stronger. I'll pick up another as soon as I see one at my liquor store. Same for the quarter cask.

nitemair13

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 24, 2018
North Carolina
Thanks for the recommendations. I'm going to get the official Guinness glasses that are designed to enhance the flavor of the beer. They have a certain curve inside the glass that does something to the brew. I don't like going to bars all that much so I have to pour my own and I prefer getting the bottled variant.

dethmutt

Can't Leave
Sep 14, 2018
From my experience. and I can actually talk about beer unlike pipes since im still new..
Don't waste your time on the bottles. get the cans... The widget seems to work better, and just seems to be a "draft like" taste... the bottle still taste great!!! but seem to fall flat, maybe not enough nitrogen? I dunno...
Half and half is my jam. love how the Guinness and Harp play off each other.

ophiuchus

Lifer
Mar 25, 2016
I miss smoking a pipe in a pub on St.Patrick’s Day. I moved from one no-indoor-smoking state to another, and it’s still chilly in the Midwest in March.
Even after a number of years I’m still in the trial and error phase of pairing tobacco with stout. I’ve gone over the top more than once with Peterson Perfect Plug in the traditional Pete System 4s, which I (jokingly) suspect was designed to complement a half and half gloriously. I’ve more recently enjoyed Pease Gaslight interrupted by intermittent guzzles of Guinness. They remain themselves without muting anything out, almost its own food group.
Escudo goes well with anything beer-like. :puffy:

krizzose

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
Michigan
I kinda like Guinness with anything, but 2 blends in particular are Marlin Flake and Hearth & Home Classic Burley Kake

Status
Not open for further replies.