PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

igloo

Lifer
Jan 17, 2010
woodlands tx
After picking a sweet looking little Gasparini billard off of Fleabay it arrived stinky . The outside of the pipe was flawless no stem marks , not a scratch . After three salt treatments this baby still reeks of some awful blend .Even after reaming I can still smell the blend . Next up was the boiling water treatment . This pipe is clean as whistle and still smells . For now it is packed with baking soda will see what that does .If not then it is off to the oven . Go figure .

onizuka

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 28, 2010
Do you think activated charcoal would work in sucking out some of the smell? I know it's done wonders in my fridge - perhaps putting activated charcoal into the bowl and covering the bowl with a napkin would help?

lordnoble

Lifer
Jul 13, 2010
Have you thought about sending it off to Dave at Walker Briar Works for a visit to the ozone chamber? I've heard it works wonders for ghosts in pipes and the concept is sound. If I had any estate pipes that needed treatment, I'd send them there.
Just a thought...
-Jason

chuckw

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 7, 2009
To remove the ghosts, you need to clean the entire inside of the pipe back to the wood. This means the mortise and smoke channel too. If there is any tar or color left in those areas, you will have a ghost. Greg Pease uses activated charcol and places the pipe in a 200 degree oven to remove ghosts. Activated charcol can be bought at any store that sells aquarium supplies and some hardware stores.

jship079

Can't Leave
Oct 17, 2010
Here is a link to GLPease method http://pipedia.org/index.php?title=Pipe_care/cleaning

eagleten1

Lurker
Oct 19, 2010
You might try reaming to the wood and brushing out the smokehole.I am sure to get disagreements,but

after you've cleaned as much as you can , Soak the briar in 151 Rum.You also will probably want to give the rum a quality control check to be sure you will have enough to soak the pipe.

unclearthur

Lifer
Mar 9, 2010
This pipe sounds like one I recently got off fleabay. I think the previous owner was smoking cheap Avon perfume in it. Took hours of serious cleaning to get the stink and taste out.

ohin3

Lifer
Jun 2, 2010
The ozone treatment will work. It is used, amongst other things, for removing the smell from fire damaged homes. Find a disaster clean up place like Service Master or System Care and ask to rent a small ozone machine for a day. place the machine in a small space with the pipe, turn 'er on and walk away. you will return to a pipe with no odor.

robs

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 1, 2010
Oh Unclearthur, I laughed out loud at the Avon reference...... I bet it was Tai Winds?

Vile Muck!!
Best Regards and Sympathies too LOL
Rob

pstlpkr

Lifer
Dec 14, 2009
Birmingham, AL
When I first saw the title of this string, I thought it was going to be about blends that will ghost a pipe.
Some have mentioned the use of alcohol, (which I advocate, recreationally of course) I suggest that if you want your pipe to taste great after treatment, I recommend Ezra Brooks.
However: to satisfy my first impression.... Stanwell Melange will ghost your pipe. Watch out!

classicgeek

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 8, 2010
I imagine any blend that is heavily flavored one way or another would do it. That's why you might dedicate a pipe to that blend... so that someday in the future when my pipes show up on eBay2050, some other poor sucker will say: "LOL luzr drools pipe w/blk currant LOL !!111!!"*
Simon
* Unless I can pass them on to one of my kids. Then they will know to do the active charcoal thing because Daddy raised 'em right.

eagleten1

Lurker
Oct 19, 2010
pstlpr advocates alcohol for recreation?We need to talk...wait a minute,I scrolled back to your commentary,I misread...thought it said "procreation".Ezra is a fine ghostbuster as are several.

I'm getting to deep into all this...check youall later

igloo

Lifer
Jan 17, 2010
woodlands tx
Pstlpkr had it right the thread was supposed to be a about blends . The oven unghosted the pipe . Blends that Ghost how about S@G Lakeland essence or better known as etoilet au armpit .

Status
Not open for further replies.