Blends I Stockpile & Are (Mostly) Available

(17 posts)
  • Started 3 months ago by shanez
  • Latest reply from cigrmaster
  1. shanez

shanez

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

With all of the talk about unavailable/discontinued blends I thought I would post a list of blends I always try to order when the funds are available. Whenever there is a good sale I grab a few tins of what I can if they're available. They usually are with the exception of a few but even those don't disappear within minutes/hours of people finding out they are in stock. (I'm not sure about the Sav 140 availability.)

Keep in mind, I'm relatively new to the pipe smoking world so these the blends that hit me during the first bowl as "need to get more". I'm trying to build up a really good stock to have and help space out the many, many other blends I'm enjoying trying. These are my "old friends" that I will always revisit from time to time so I'll never grow tired of them and still get to enjoy other blends.

Without further ado:

Seattle Pipe Club Plum Pudding Special Reserve
    Seattle Pipe Club Mississippi River Special Reserve
    Seattle Pipe Club Potlatch
    Savinelli 140th Anniversary
    Vincent Manil Le Petit Robin
    Savinelli Doblone d'Oro
    Ashton Artisan's Blend
    Cornell & Diehl Dreams of Kadath
    Cornell & Diehl Mad Fiddler Flake

Hopefully the list works.

Posted 3 months ago #
  2. hoosierpipeguy

hoosierpipeguy

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Good approach and strategy. I am confident it will pay dividends for you over time.

Posted 3 months ago #
  3. redglow

redglow

Login to Send PM

Very generous of you to share. Wise advice.

Posted 3 months ago #
  4. didimauw

didimauw

Mod

Login to Send PM

I only buy and stockpile blends that are readily available for now as well. Good thinking.

"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like, and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."
    Posted 3 months ago #
  5. snoopy311

snoopy311

Login to Send PM

Lots and lots of good blends out there that are still available. Patience will reward.

Posted 3 months ago #
  6. User has not uploaded an avatar

bent1

Login to Send PM

If I can add one, Hearth & Home Aniv Kake. It never failed to deliver me a tasty smoke.

Posted 3 months ago #
  7. snoopy311

snoopy311

Login to Send PM

I just received some Anniversary Kake a couple of days ago and it is extremely moist. I’ve had it drying for two days on a paper plate and it’s still very moist. Anyone else find this to be true? I did smoke a bowl and really enjoyed it but what a bugger to keep lit.

Posted 3 months ago #
  8. mso489

mso489

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I approve of buying blends that are in good supply and well distributed. A response by a blender/brand to customer demand should be rewarded. The fan dance where you have to chase blends all over the internet and world, though it has a quest-like excitement, essentially rewards bad behavior or at least poor business practices. I admit I've sprinted after a few unicorns, but now less and less.

Posted 3 months ago #
  9. jaytex969

jaytex969

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I admit I've sprinted after a few unicorns...

Don't even go there, amigo!

Gunner, Black Frigate. Say "Hello" to my little friend!
    Posted 3 months ago #
  10. seanv

seanv

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Good post. I have a list of similar size. So many good blends out there right now.

Posted 3 months ago #
  11. shanez

shanez

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Adding to the list:

Gawith, Hoggarth & Co. Dark Flake Unscented
    Solani 656 Aged Burley Flake

I'll admit there are a few unicorns I hunted down but only enough to get a good feel for them (if I like them) and then to try and find an alternate.

Not going to look for exact replacements but "in the same vein". For example, I have Ashton Artisan's Blend in lieu of Dunhill Nightcap. Also, if I didn't have SPC Plum Pudding SR, Dreams of Kaddath would suit me (luckily both are available). Still looking for a Dunhill Dark Flake alternate.

Posted 2 months ago #
  12. mityahicks

mityahicks

Login to Send PM

I'm interested in a Dunhill Flake replacement, my jar is nearly gone. Cellar is getting pretty fat lately.

Anniversary Kake has required a lot of dry time for me too, but we'll worth the wait. I just got a big bag of it.

Posted 2 months ago #
  13. redglow

redglow

Login to Send PM

Great strategy picking up the readily available blends that you like.

I chased after some hard to get blends initially. Picked up some great old mixtures. But, tired of the process.

It was a lot more enjoyable and satisfying to buy pounds and pounds of my favorite easy to get tobaccos.

Now, I'm stocked up with a lot of great tobaccos along with a few gems to dive into when the moment calls for them.

Posted 2 months ago #
  14. pianopuffer

pianopuffer

Login to Send PM

Mity- I’d suggest Capstan Yellow as a replacement for Dunhill Flake. Not an exact copy but gives me a lot of the same flavors and scratches that itch for me.

Posted 2 months ago #
  15. mityahicks

mityahicks

Login to Send PM

Will try the capstan Yellow, I have a Blue tin to try.

Posted 2 months ago #
  16. mso489

mso489

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

To say I stockpile anything would be a misnomer. I do have TAD more often than I use up a tin or bulk order. Moderate smoking is glacial in my case. But I do have a nice supply of those coveted discontinued blends and a number of other of good repute, and others that are great ongoing oldies. I have unopened tins of SWRA, Iwan Ries Three Star Blue, and Edward G. Robinson, and Potlatch. A couple Low Country Blends, C&D, Mac Barens, and so on.

Posted 2 months ago #
  17. cigrmaster

cigrmaster

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I found the Capstan Blue Flake to be tastier than the Gold. I bought around 150 tins of the Blue and only half a dozen of the Gold. I think the Blue is one of the finest Virginia flakes on the market and it is always available.

Harris
    Posted 2 months ago #

You must log in to post.

Back To Top  | Back to Forum Home Page

Members Online Now
   morgansteele, ashdigger, donjgiles, ray47, snagstangl, boffosquid, acidpox, lestrout, jaytex969, geopiper, odobenus, oldgeezersmoker, pitchfork, ben88