PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Growley quit selling pipes in the U.S. due to the FDA regulations. Really wanted one of his Ramses pipes. :(

Chasing Embers

Nov 12, 2014
Made some very interesting pieces. Bruce Weaver only did it for about 10 before retiring, and love his work as well.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Somewhere areound 50% of the GL Pease blends are potentially at risk. Bye bye Christmas Cheer. Bye bye McCrainie's Red Ribbon and Red flake.
Depending on the reading of the deliberately vague and poorly written FDA Regs, potentially ALL artisan carvers are out of business since their product is defined as a tobacco product and therefore subject to the same deeming process as the tobacco blends.

leatherman

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 23, 2017
I wasn't aware that deeming rules affected pipes and pipe makers as well. How ridiculous. So glass blowers can make any sort of pipe or bong for legal cannabis, but new tobacco pipes and blends are heavily regulated to the point they are not viable? *Shakes head*

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
Damn! It happened again!
And vehicle manufacturers are still allowed to make cars so people can haul their cannabis home. Also, sandwich bag makers will be allowed to continue to make "baggies."
What the heck does cannabis have to do with pipes and blends? And, the regulating of such?

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
Their strategy to curtail all blends after 2007 is draconian, burt we already knew that. It smacks of FDA process for new drugs but cannot be said to be anywhere similar, as tobacco is tobacco, with, I think, much more similarity between types, say VA and burley, than difference. From what I read all tobacco is the same species, even cigar tobacco.

So the whole FDA finding is a sham such that antis can do whatever they wish. But to extend regulations governing tobacco, an organic material with effects on physiology similar to drugs, to pipes, is hallucinatory as pipes have not such effects.
It doesn't look good, and I suppose to know how bad it will be is a matter of waiting for the bad regulations to roll out.
Rich Newcombe wrote an article about a year ago, and I believe he referred to legal cases waiting to be heard, as did smokingpipes customer service to cases to be heard this fall. Anyone hear of them and what their outcome was?
Greg Pease is very talented, but to produce 65? blends is also a matter of great toil, which to lose half is a shame.

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
Antis want to wipeout tobacco, whereas the "War on Drugs" failed, so eliminating drug paraphernalia is not an action item in the same way as pipes.

leatherman

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 23, 2017
Warren, I wasn't trying to offend anyone with my statement. I was pointing out hypocrisy in these regulations with one pertinent example.

leatherman

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 23, 2017
Woodsroad, I've looked through the FDA site a little, it's very vague. Here is an excerpt from an FAQ that may apply:
"How can FDA regulate products that are clearly not made or derived from tobacco, such as the coils of an e-cigarette, as a “tobacco product?”
The definition of “tobacco product” comes from the Tobacco Control Act, which was written by Congress. The definition of "tobacco product" includes any product made or derived from tobacco and intended for human consumption, including any component, part, or accessory of a tobacco product. All products that meet the definition set forth by Congress, except for accessories of newly-deemed products, are now subject to FDA regulation.
As a result of the deeming rule, the existing framework that had been in place for previously regulated products – such as traditional cigarettes – is extended to newly-regulated products. So, just as the FDA regulates rolling papers as “tobacco products” because they affect how tobacco is used, the FDA now regulates the coil in an e-cigarette because it similarly affects the product in question."
As to how they will be regulated, who knows?

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
Yes, but where does it say that they intend to regulate briar tobacco pipes (or Meerschaums, or cobs)?
Anyone giving up pipemaking now is, IMHO, living their life out of fear. The FDA had done some preliminary research on water pipes, but that went silent after the election.

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
Rest assured, I am not offended. I just get tired of tobacco being married up with cannabis. There can't be any hypocrisy in how the different subjects are handled as they are entirely different except that both, as anything else, can be subjected to government regulations.
That cannabis is on the road to being legal nationwide is a given. Soon it will face stringent government regulation and taxes but, there is nothing, at this time, that makes cannabis and tobacco "bed fellows" to be mentioned in the same sentence.
Cannabis users will soon rue the day use becomes legal. Prices will rise with taxes and it will soon be treated as a cash cow for politicians. Then we will have some similarities with both smokers and "tokers" squirming from the same treatment.
Addendum: Another similarity will be when large corporations take over and small cannabis dealers, growers, etc will find themselves out of business.

Chasing Embers

Nov 12, 2014
Can someone show me exactly where in the FDA regs it states that tobacco pipes will be regulated?
This may help.
http://pipesmagazine.com/blog/tobacco-policies-legislation/new-fda-regulations-how-do-they-impact-the-pipe-world/

yaddy306

Lifer
Aug 7, 2013
Regina, Canada
Or this, from the FDA website:
The definition of “tobacco product” as set forth in section 201(rr) of the FD&C Act includes all components, parts, and accessories of tobacco products (except for raw materials other than tobacco used in manufacturing a component, part, or accessory of a tobacco product). FDA interprets components and parts of a tobacco product to include any assembly of materials intended or reasonably expected: (1) To alter or affect the tobacco product's performance, composition, constituents or characteristics; or (2) to be used with or for the human consumption of a tobacco product. Both e-cigarettes and pipes meet this definition. Thus, such products are subject to FDA's chapter IX authorities as a result of this rule.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Yep. And to show you just how full of shit these regulations are, from the FDA PDF on "Effective Compliance Dates Applicable to Retailers, Manufacturers, Importers, and Distributors of Newly Deemed Tobacco Products":
"Examples of components or parts that are not covered tobacco products include: a pipe or an ENDS atomizer sold without liquid nicotine."
So in one document pipes are defined as a "Tobacco Product" and thus covered by the Deeming Regulations, and in another they are not.

Status
Not open for further replies.