PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 22, 2013
Hello all, I'm a new pipe smoker and my introduction came from a friend of mine that would blend his own tobaccos. What I mean is that he would get some Stokkebye Black Cherry Cavendish or something sweet and mix in something less flavorful. Is this a sacrilege?

Jan 22, 2013
Thanks, I feel like a started out with some really sub-standard tobacco (I bought bulk, and it didn't have a name on it, just a flavor: coffee, but it doesn't really smell or taste like coffee to me!), but the local place near me had some great options and as I get more comfortable with the flavors, I think I'll do that. Supposedly the tobacconist near me is the oldest in Houston.

puffy

Lifer
Dec 24, 2010
North Carolina
I've done it a lot over the years.Nothing wrong with it at all..Smoke what you like..It's an old saying,but it's one I live by.

pipeinhand

Lifer
Sep 23, 2011
Virginia
Nope, on the contrary this is how I started some 20 years ago. Keep at it, you never know what you might come up with. It is only bad if you think so, so mix it up.

nsfisher

Lifer
Nov 26, 2011
Nova Scotia, Canada
Right now, I am smoking MacBarrens Mixture(Scottish Blend), MacBarrens HH Highland Blend, MacBarrens Original Choice, Frog Morton, Carter Hall and Walnut, all mixed together.

chakaraka

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 28, 2012
Vernon, BC, Canada
I recently tried some 1Q and CBW together and found it okay. Typical aro smoke, nothing to write home about. I had some of this left over at the perfect humidity (in a separate container) but only about half a bowl full. So I dried up some Nording Hunter Beagle (VaPer) and added enough to make a whole bowl. One of the best smokes I have had so far. I did not see myself doing something like this so soon. It was more of a frugal/what should I do wit this "what the hell" moment. I am still trying to smoke what I have unblended to learn the nuances and develop a palette. However I would do it again. Once I actually get a feel for some of my new tobaccos may try mixing something more exotic.

Jan 22, 2013
Well, so far I only tried blending once ... the flavors I have right now are so interesting individually, I'm just sticking them in separately and feeling satisfied ... maybe I'll come to blending down the line.
I think rothnh had it right, but I do want to make an "apple pie" blend down the line. mmm

crpntr1

Lifer
Dec 18, 2011
Texas
welcome to the forums dizz,

I've got a couple that I blend but not too much. Your pipe and your taste so the sky's the limit

bigvan

Lifer
Mar 22, 2011
There's a lot that goes into tobacco blending. Dumping two OTCs together and calling yourself a "blender" is like taking the top bun off a Whopper, putting it on a Big Mac and then calling yourself a "chef".

rigmedic1

Lifer
May 29, 2011
I would hardly call it blending, but I take tobaccos I dont like and mix them with other things to see what happens. Freiberg and Treyer Golden Mixture and McClelland Dark Star 50/50 was pretty fair. F&T 50/50 with McClelland Royal Cajun Black was spicy and a decent smoke. I committed sacrilege and mixed some Stonehaven with some Darkstar as well, and actually liked the mix. It pays to experiment!

dragonslayer

Lifer
Dec 28, 2012
Pittsburgh
Mostly aromatic lovers are into blending. Seems that most VA lovers are content with the many blends available, have their favorites in rotation, and not looking to change anything about it. Ageing plays an important role as VA’s are the only thing that ages, others may blend but only if you put a good bit of VA in are you going to see real change in a cellared blend.
Most use CH as it will absorb the aromatic flavor the best. If you look at many blending threads about 75% use this, and the most popular mix seems to be walnut. To get the true flavor you’ve come up with I suggest you give it a good mix then pack it solid in a jar, letting it sit for a month and see what you’ve created.
The most important thing of all is that you enjoy what you’re smoking. All pallets are different and most will change over time, even short periods of time, even seasonal.
OH! And always have fun, this whole journey is about enjoyment. Experiment to your heart’s content, but buy some $15 pipes to watch ghosting others.

hfearly

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 11, 2012
Canada
Well there are people who mix Pepsi with their 1976 Chateuneuf du Pape, or soak their Truffeled Wild Boar roast in Ketchup. Never mind the actual master (blender) who composed a taste originally in a process of painful trial and error and hard work over several years ;-)

pitchfork

Lifer
May 25, 2012
Dumping two OTCs together and calling yourself a "blender" is like taking the top bun off a Whopper, putting it on a Big Mac and then calling yourself a "chef".
bigvan, I never would have guessed that you were a burger connoisseur like me, but I'm with you 100%. While delightful in its own right on the Big Mac, the special sauce would overwhelm the delicate "flame broiled" notes coming from the Whopper. Regardless, both burgers are fine choices when paired with a chilled American beer like Pabst Blue Ribbon or Miller Lite. :nana:

zyrcon

Lurker
Jan 17, 2013
Welcome Dizz. Love the question... never even thought about blending my own. Finding the perfect pipe just got exponentially harder.

zyrcon

Lurker
Jan 17, 2013
OK, last post for the night... This got me thinking way out in left field. Has anyone ever layered different pipe tobaccos in the bowl? I know, I know. I just jumped the shark.

zyrcon

Lurker
Jan 17, 2013
Wow, you're starting trouble. The dragon(wife) will kill me if she hears me russtling in the kitchen tonight.

flyguy

Lifer
Nov 20, 2012
There's a lot that goes into tobacco blending. Dumping two OTCs together and calling yourself a "blender" is like taking the top bun off a Whopper, putting it on a Big Mac and then calling yourself a "chef".
I don't think any of us who mix our blends are calling ourselves "blenders", now that would be arrogant. I would call us experimenters or dabblers. Some of us are experimenting with taste and others of us are trying to come up with a blend that reduces tongue bite. Nothing wrong with developing ways to enjoy this wonderful hobby more!

Jan 22, 2013
well, maybe I should call it "mixing," since the term blending does have specific connotations to pipe smoking.
zyrcon, actually that's what I tried when I did tried it. like what rigmedic1 was saying, I was trying to use up some aromatic that I didn't like.
but what does everyone think: apple pie mix, good idea or bad idea?

work in progress recipe

2 parts Altadis Apple

1 part some kind of Walnut or McClelland - Just Plain Nut

2 parts Peter Stokkebye- Cinnamon

Status
Not open for further replies.