Tags:   

Blending Your Own?

(27 posts)
  • Started 1 year ago by dizzieranddizzier
  • Latest reply from wayneteipen
  1. dizzieranddizzier

dizzieranddizzier

Login to Send PM

Hello all, I'm a new pipe smoker and my introduction came from a friend of mine that would blend his own tobaccos. What I mean is that he would get some Stokkebye Black Cherry Cavendish or something sweet and mix in something less flavorful. Is this a sacrilege?

Posted 1 year ago #
  2. User has not uploaded an avatar

Anonymous

Unregistered

Login to Send PM

Welcome Dizz!

Not at all sacrilege. Lots of puffers mix a couple or three pipe tobacco blends to suit their own preferences. Not all of them, of course, but more than a few.

Some experiment with "blending tobaccos" (you can find these in the "bulk tobacco" section of on line vendors, such as many of the sponsors of PM Forums). Blending tobaccos such as Perique, or Latakia, or Izmir. But I'd advice a new pipe smoker to speak with a good tobacconist and "experiment" with some small samples of some different blends you choose with his/her help. This will help you refine you personal taste and choose what types of blends you like best.

Good luck and enjoy the journey!

Posted 1 year ago #
  3. dizzieranddizzier

dizzieranddizzier

Login to Send PM

Thanks, I feel like a started out with some really sub-standard tobacco (I bought bulk, and it didn't have a name on it, just a flavor: coffee, but it doesn't really smell or taste like coffee to me!), but the local place near me had some great options and as I get more comfortable with the flavors, I think I'll do that. Supposedly the tobacconist near me is the oldest in Houston.

Posted 1 year ago #
  4. puffy

puffy

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I've done it a lot over the years.Nothing wrong with it at all..Smoke what you like..It's an old saying,but it's one I live by.

Life's most valuable treasure is..Love
    Posted 1 year ago #
  5. mikephillips

mikephillips

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I've mixed this and that, but try to stay away from it these days because the only thing I seem to think any (or all) tobacco needs is more perique. When you diagnose every patient with the same illness, it's time to quit seeing patients and check your stethoscope.

However, I'm planning on creating a blend for myself from scratch using whole tobacco leaves. I'm pretty sure it'll have quite a bit of perique in it.

Posted 1 year ago #
  6. uberam3rica

Uberam3rica

Mod

Login to Send PM

Is this a sacrilege?

No. I do it from time to time. I have a perique blend that I often mix with 1Q and 7 Seas Gold. It adds a nice spiciness to them. Some times I'll layer different blends to make a parfait.

As long as I got a pipe full of baccy and a nose full of snuff, I'm a happy camper
    Cigarettes are an addiction, cigars are a hobby, pipes are a religion
    Posted 1 year ago #
  7. pipeinhand

pipeinhand

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Nope, on the contrary this is how I started some 20 years ago. Keep at it, you never know what you might come up with. It is only bad if you think so, so mix it up.

“There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there has always been. The strain of
    anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life,
    nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.”
    Posted 1 year ago #
  8. nsfisher

nsfisher

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Right now, I am smoking MacBarrens Mixture(Scottish Blend), MacBarrens HH Highland Blend, MacBarrens Original Choice, Frog Morton, Carter Hall and Walnut, all mixed together.

If at first you don't succeed, have another bowl.
    Posted 1 year ago #
  9. chakaraka

chakaraka

Login to Send PM

I recently tried some 1Q and CBW together and found it okay. Typical aro smoke, nothing to write home about. I had some of this left over at the perfect humidity (in a separate container) but only about half a bowl full. So I dried up some Nording Hunter Beagle (VaPer) and added enough to make a whole bowl. One of the best smokes I have had so far. I did not see myself doing something like this so soon. It was more of a frugal/what should I do wit this "what the hell" moment. I am still trying to smoke what I have unblended to learn the nuances and develop a palette. However I would do it again. Once I actually get a feel for some of my new tobaccos may try mixing something more exotic.

Mike.
    - - - - - -
    Rookie, but learning.
    Posted 1 year ago #
  10. dizzieranddizzier

dizzieranddizzier

Login to Send PM

Well, so far I only tried blending once ... the flavors I have right now are so interesting individually, I'm just sticking them in separately and feeling satisfied ... maybe I'll come to blending down the line.

I think rothnh had it right, but I do want to make an "apple pie" blend down the line. mmm

Posted 1 year ago #
  11. crpntr1

Chris

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

welcome to the forums dizz,
    I've got a couple that I blend but not too much. Your pipe and your taste so the sky's the limit

The most important things in life are good friends and a good bullpen...not necessarily in that order

You may all go to hell, I'll go to Texas-Davy Crockett
    Posted 1 year ago #
  12. bigvan

bigvan

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

There's a lot that goes into tobacco blending. Dumping two OTCs together and calling yourself a "blender" is like taking the top bun off a Whopper, putting it on a Big Mac and then calling yourself a "chef".

Posted 1 year ago #
  13. ace57

ace57

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Bigvan, now that is some funny stuff.

U.S.M.C. (SEMPER FI)
    Posted 1 year ago #
  14. rigmedic1

rigmedic1

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I would hardly call it blending, but I take tobaccos I dont like and mix them with other things to see what happens. Freiberg and Treyer Golden Mixture and McClelland Dark Star 50/50 was pretty fair. F&T 50/50 with McClelland Royal Cajun Black was spicy and a decent smoke. I committed sacrilege and mixed some Stonehaven with some Darkstar as well, and actually liked the mix. It pays to experiment!

Posted 1 year ago #
  15. dragonslayer

dragonslayer

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Mostly aromatic lovers are into blending. Seems that most VA lovers are content with the many blends available, have their favorites in rotation, and not looking to change anything about it. Ageing plays an important role as VA’s are the only thing that ages, others may blend but only if you put a good bit of VA in are you going to see real change in a cellared blend.

Most use CH as it will absorb the aromatic flavor the best. If you look at many blending threads about 75% use this, and the most popular mix seems to be walnut. To get the true flavor you’ve come up with I suggest you give it a good mix then pack it solid in a jar, letting it sit for a month and see what you’ve created.

The most important thing of all is that you enjoy what you’re smoking. All pallets are different and most will change over time, even short periods of time, even seasonal.

OH! And always have fun, this whole journey is about enjoyment. Experiment to your heart’s content, but buy some $15 pipes to watch ghosting others.

“The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government - lest it come to dominate our lives and interests.” Patrick Henry
    Posted 1 year ago #
  16. hfearly

hfearly

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Well there are people who mix Pepsi with their 1976 Chateuneuf du Pape, or soak their Truffeled Wild Boar roast in Ketchup. Never mind the actual master (blender) who composed a taste originally in a process of painful trial and error and hard work over several years

Suffering from a serious case of "EPARD", also known as the Estate Pipe Acquisition and Restoration Disorder.
    Posted 1 year ago #
  17. pitchfork

pitchfork

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Dumping two OTCs together and calling yourself a "blender" is like taking the top bun off a Whopper, putting it on a Big Mac and then calling yourself a "chef".

bigvan, I never would have guessed that you were a burger connoisseur like me, but I'm with you 100%. While delightful in its own right on the Big Mac, the special sauce would overwhelm the delicate "flame broiled" notes coming from the Whopper. Regardless, both burgers are fine choices when paired with a chilled American beer like Pabst Blue Ribbon or Miller Lite.

Posted 1 year ago #
  18. zyrcon

zyrcon

Login to Send PM

Welcome Dizz. Love the question... never even thought about blending my own. Finding the perfect pipe just got exponentially harder.

Posted 1 year ago #
  19. zyrcon

zyrcon

Login to Send PM

OK, last post for the night... This got me thinking way out in left field. Has anyone ever layered different pipe tobaccos in the bowl? I know, I know. I just jumped the shark.

Posted 1 year ago #
  20. mikephillips

mikephillips

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

If you want a fine burger, you don't buy it, you broil it on the grill at home. Dress it up with sweet pickled jalapenos, mustard, a thick slice of vidalia onion, and fresh spinach leaves instead of lettuce.

That, by God, is a burger.

Posted 1 year ago #
  21. zyrcon

zyrcon

Login to Send PM

Wow, you're starting trouble. The dragon(wife) will kill me if she hears me russtling in the kitchen tonight.

Posted 1 year ago #
  22. User has not uploaded an avatar

Anonymous

Unregistered

Login to Send PM

. This got me thinking way out in left field. Has anyone ever layered different pipe tobaccos in the bowl?

Sure, some guys here do that -- Michael (nsfisher) does it all the time. They like how the smoke changes as the different layers burn.

I myself never do this. I am sure, though, that some blends don't play well with others and thus not all "layers" would work.

Posted 1 year ago #
  23. flyguy

flyguy

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

There's a lot that goes into tobacco blending. Dumping two OTCs together and calling yourself a "blender" is like taking the top bun off a Whopper, putting it on a Big Mac and then calling yourself a "chef".

I don't think any of us who mix our blends are calling ourselves "blenders", now that would be arrogant. I would call us experimenters or dabblers. Some of us are experimenting with taste and others of us are trying to come up with a blend that reduces tongue bite. Nothing wrong with developing ways to enjoy this wonderful hobby more!

“Apples for walking, and a pipe for sitting.”
    ― Samwise Gamgee
    Posted 1 year ago #
  24. dizzieranddizzier

dizzieranddizzier

Login to Send PM

well, maybe I should call it "mixing," since the term blending does have specific connotations to pipe smoking.

zyrcon, actually that's what I tried when I did tried it. like what rigmedic1 was saying, I was trying to use up some aromatic that I didn't like.

but what does everyone think: apple pie mix, good idea or bad idea?
    work in progress recipe
    2 parts Altadis Apple
    1 part some kind of Walnut or McClelland - Just Plain Nut
    2 parts Peter Stokkebye- Cinnamon

Posted 1 year ago #
  25. User has not uploaded an avatar

mso489

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I think it would be a mighty timid pipe smoker who doesn't try blending from time to time, more than just to finish off the dregs. On the other hand, making your own blends teaches you quickly why the professionals are paid for what they do. And even many of their blends aren't so popular. When you try blending, take some care to record and label your "blends," four parts of this, two parts of that, one part A and one part B. I recommend those little latched canning jars to store your blends, the small ones (don't overcommit). Then you need to mix the blend pretty well, and turn the jar now and then to keep the "marriage going." The trouble is, you have to smoke a number of failed blends this way, and be disappointed after weeks then months of aging, before you give up on it -- into the compost it goes. That's when you really begin to enjoy that nice tin or plastic bag of bulk all nicely blended by the pros. It makes it worth the few extra bucks. But I'll still keep my little stash of Latakia and etc.

Posted 1 year ago #
  26. captainbob

captainbob

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Lot's of truth in many of the previous comments. I respect them all! A "blend" is technically different than a "mixture". If you mix finished blends that is called a "mixture". If you mix prepared leaf of different varieties (aromatic or non-aromatic) it is properly called a "blend". There is nothing wrong with either approach except that it requires much more to create a blend than to create a mixture. Regardless, if you get an idea, try it. The only important advice I can give is to always write down exactly the ingredients and weights of your mixture or blend. I guarantee you that if you do not do that, you will never be able to duplicate it. Believe me, I have learned from experience! WRITE IT DOWN!
    __________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Posted 1 year ago #
  27. wayneteipen

wayneteipen

Login to Send PM

I may be in the minority but I blend my own and smoke them often. I mostly do it for fun and for economical reasons. I also haven't found a latakia blend that isn't too heavy handed for my tastes. There are lots of good base tobaccos that can be bought in bulk that are great for experimenting. My main go to blend is one I call Chocolate Cake (because it smells like chocolate cake but tastes nothing like it.) Here's the ingredients:

4 parts 5100
    2 parts McC's blending Perique
    1 part black cavendish (I use Newminster Straight Black)

Jar it and let it meld for about a month or so and voila!

Posted 1 year ago #

You must log in to post.

Back To Top  | Back to Forum Home Page

Members Online Now
   rwramsey, mso489, smokeybear, andya27, weezell, cortezattic, ericthered, philobeddoe, mrdottle, numbersix, ruger414, beefeater33, sjfine, mphstteach, ghost, jimbo44, pruss, jfox520