PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

gray4lines

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 6, 2012
KY
I have searched around a little and found bits and pieces of info some on cigar leaf in pipe blends and some on blending pipe blends together, but I wanted to bring it together in one thread. I'd like some help on blending cigar leaf in with other pipe blends/multiple blends.
In short, I have some busted cigars...I am planning on chopping them up and mixing them into a pipe blend. But, I need help picking pipe tobacco to add the cigars to.
Now the long version:

The cigars I have are called "Mario Palomino['s]" They are mild-medium Nicaraguan cigars with a Connecticut wrapper, and a few filler leaves of Jamaican Tripa. So, they are pretty smooth, a little toasty tasting, some sweetness from the Jamaican filler. I believe these cigars will stand up to a pipe blend. Even though they are only a mild-medium body, they have a good amount of flavor; not thin tasteless smoke like some mild Connecticut wrappers.
I know cigars well enough, but I have no clue where to begin in finding a pipe blend as a "base" to add these to. I've seen that dark, maduro cigars go well in English type or Latakia blends, but I haven't heard much about any other blends.
So, If anyone wants to take a shot in the dark and help out, that'd be neat. I will likely cut up the cigars soon and sample a little by itself, just to see how the cigar translates into a pipe. There will of course be lots of pictures once I start chopping and blending, and I'd be more than willing to let anyone who wants sample it if the end result is any good (or bad! lol)
Thanks,

supdog

Can't Leave
Nov 10, 2012
I was thinking about doing the same thing. I have a lot of cigars and would like to see what everyone thinks.

tjameson

Lifer
Jun 16, 2012
I've found that cigar leaf goes well in good burley blends and I wouldn't doubt it blending well with a VA or Va/ Burley such as MacB ODF. I think something with an earthy flavor profile would work well with the cigars you described.

gray4lines

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 6, 2012
KY
Here is what I had to work with.

20121127_175614.jpg

One chopped up made a little more loose tobacco than I expected.

20121127_180230.jpg

Cigar aficionados look away.

20121127_180605.jpg

If you haven't seen the insides of a cigar.

20121127_180651.jpg

Surprisingly, even though the cigars were stored at 68%-70% rh, thI loose tobacco is much dryer than your standard pipe blend. So I hit it with a little distilled water and jarred it up for a while.
Burley does sound like a good idea...but all I have right now is Frog Morton, On The Town. So I mixed about half and half with the loose leaf.

20121127_194525.jpg

The cigar was much harder to cut down into ribbons than I thought, so the leaf is a little bulky, but it should still pack ok.

Will see tomorrow!

cdsmith

Lurker
Nov 22, 2012
i mixed up a blend of 6oz. carter hall, 2oz. Lane Limited black cavendish, and 1 Onyx Reserve cigar that is a dominican/nicaraguan filler with a connecticut broadleaf wrapper. I jarred it for about a year, and it turned out pretty damn good.

Status
Not open for further replies.