PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mayfair70

Lifer
Sep 14, 2015
Greetings all,
I hope everyone enjoyed/survived their Thanksgiving. :)
Running low on tobacco and keeping to the spirit of "try everything" I purchased a pouch of Borkum Riff Original Mixture today. Usually, I bicycle down to the Tinder Box and obtain good quality blends at reasonable prices. My tin of HH Old Dark Fired from there was three years old from the date on the label and dry enough to smoke straight away with no fuss or wait. Delicious. However, my purchase today was from "Short Robert's" (not real name) as they were much closer to me, but they carry mostly pouches and bulk. I popped the Borkum in my Dr. Grabow and after an initial taste of what I would call prune juice and other interesting flavors it developed into a rather smooth but uneventful bowl. I am by no means a fussy smoker and in desperation in days past I had been known recycle my American Spirit cigarette butts into a makeshift bong to tide me over until my next purchase. (I had no papers or pipe and it was MUCH better tasting than it sounds with a significant nicotine slap to the face) My plan is to dry the Borkum further, and I was wondering if there were any suggestions as to improve this blend. (I know I'm setting myself up for jokes, but am looking forward to them :) ) I am reluctant to do more than one small mix with the dark fire at this point, as I do enjoy it unadulterated or with a good virginia or burley. I'm not really into Aros (I'm not really against them either, and do smoke them) and find myself leaning toward English style blends and other strong and straightforward tobaccos. As a very good cook, I do have many essential oils, spices, and herbs to experiment with. I don't have the experience, refined palate or piping vocabulary of many forum members here, so am asking for assistance. I do not want to waste the ounce and a half, but it seems to only go well with Vicodin. 8) So, what would you folks recommend?
Thanks in advance.
Michael

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
mayfair, not to be too much of an old coot, but I'd steer clear of essential oils, spices and herbs and other such flavorings. Remember, you are burning this stuff and creating many other chemicals in gaseous, liquid, and particulate form, so best to stick with traditional leaf to the degree possible. Granted, I am sensitive to a number of the flavorings traditionally used in aromatic blends, though I seem to handle strong non-aro blends and leaf well enough. I'd limit your mixing (I think of blending as what the pros do with pressure, aging, steaming, roasting, etc.) to existing leaf and blends, preferably non-aromatic. Hope this doesn't sound too cautious, but that's my take.

mayfair70

Lifer
Sep 14, 2015
mso489, jvnshr
Point well taken. I've been an herbalist from a medicinal standpoint (Licensed Nurse) for over twenty years and definitely agree MANY things can be really bad when burned and inhaled. I do have a handful of items I'm considering, which I know to be safe, but am hesitant to use them. I'm looking mainly for traditionally tobacco related techniques or ideas to make my purchase more interesting or tolerable.
Thank You !! :)

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
Aros tend to overwhelm any other flavor you throw at them, and so it's hard to do anything with them. If "uneventful" is the only problem, I'd throw in some Perique or Latakia to give it spice.

mayfair70

Lifer
Sep 14, 2015
deathmetal:
"I'd throw in some Perique or Latakia to give it spice"
Ah, therein lies my conundrum. I have no Perique or Latakia at my disposal. I've only my limited alchemical knowledge, the aforementioned food grade resources and an experimental mindset. I would love some suggestions for straight Perique and Latakia purchases, as I'm now certain they would be an asset in future mixing endeavors. As well as in case I buy more lackluster pouches or bulk bags, which currently seems inevitable. Being a dedicated DIY-er and bereft of other tobaccos for blending, I have attacked my perceived problem as follows:

First, I set aside a third of the pouch as a control group and am letting it air dry.

Second, I spread an equal amount on a metal pan and thrust it in the oven at high temperature for a few minutes.

Third, I placed the remainder on a Pyrex pan and sprayed it evenly and until moist, but not soaked, with a mixture of two cups filtered water, roughly a teaspoon or more of blackstrap molasses, and exactly one drop of essential oil of Anise. I also placed this in the oven until my nose told me something was going on.

The oven drying technique (I remember Cosmic mentioning he did something like this) has yielded a decrease in the plumb flavor and replaced it with a more diffuse fruity air. There is also now a VERY pleasant nuttiness to the tobacco which continues throughout the entire bowl and inter-plays with the fruitiness very well.

The molasses mixture was still a bit moist when pulled from the oven, and had the slight nutty aroma along with other pleasant yet unidentifiable scents. I let it cool a bit, packed it into a ceramic bowl, covered it with wax paper and placed a heavy weight on it. I'll wait a couple days before inspecting it further. If it turns out half as well as the simple oven cure, I'll be a very happy man indeed.

If it weren't for the wealth of knowledge on this website, I wouldn't have known to try any of this stuff. As always, I appreciate the advice, concern and expertise this community continues to provide. You guys ROCK!! :clap:

michaelmirza

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 21, 2015
Chicago, IL
Glad your aromatic experiment worked well! I admire and respect your ingenuity. If you ever find a way to make tobacco taste like essential oil of cedar I'd be very interested to hear it (just a pipe dream; pun intended).

Status
Not open for further replies.