Blending Sucess

(8 posts)
  • Started 6 years ago by piperl12
  • Latest reply from papipeguy
  1. piperl12

piperl12

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Well I had a pouch of MacBarens Blue Pouch and honestly it has taken me months to get through half the pouch. I also had a pouch of no name English from an Indian Reserve from a few years ago that on its own was horrible. Well I thought what the heck I don't like either on their own maybe Ill like them together. Well walla! Not bad mixed them together and bingo I can smoke it and it's not too bad now. Which is good because in Canada that much tobacco represents a $40.00 dollar investment. Anyone else do this?

Posted 6 years ago #
  2. cigrmaster

cigrmaster

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Luckily I have not had to do that but I am glad to hear you were able to salvage 40 bucks worth of tobacco. I feel for you guys in Canada, I really think it sucks what you have to put up with in terms of taxes, it just ain't right.

Harris
    Posted 6 years ago #
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

Anonymous

Unregistered

Login to Send PM

It's always great to discover something bad, mixed with something else that's bad, comes out being pretty good

I do make my own blend, with is various virginias and some Turkish Izmir.

Otherwise, I'm not a mixer TBH. The only time I combine pipe tobacco blends together is when I don't have enough left in the pouch to fill a bowl, and even when that happens, it gets filled with the same blend, or something similar.

Posted 6 years ago #
  4. User has not uploaded an avatar

wnghanglow

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Figure I don't know as much as the blending masters and as such leave there work alone. If I don't like a blend I cellar and try again in a few months, repeate till its gone or I like it. I am
    Happy for your success especially wih the ridiculous taxes you have to put up with!

Posted 6 years ago #
  5. cortezattic

Cortez

A part of the problem since he ...

Login to Send PM

I've never tried to salvage a bad blend, but I understand why you feel you have to try.
    Nearly all of my attempts at custom blending have been expensive failures. The only two that ever
    worked for me are P.A. with 5% Perique, and what rothnh does with Va. & Izmir.

I find myself sitting idly on the line dividing past and future,
    as if I could kill time without injuring eternity. -- Thoreau
    Posted 6 years ago #
  6. plet

plet

Login to Send PM

When you blend your own do you then put the blend in the cellar for flavors to merge or do you just blend it prior to smoking?

I have a weak spot for Billard-, Canadian-, Liverpol- and Poker-style pipes from Comoy and Dunhill...
    Posted 6 years ago #
  7. piperl12

piperl12

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Well to be honest I threw it together and smoked a small bowl to see if it was terrible. If so I was just going to throw it away. The bowl wasn't too bad so I sealed it up and will revisit it again in a month or so. I am hoping the Latakia in the english comes out just a bit more. I was suprised i did't like the McBarens 7 seas blue since I had heard good things about it. If the Latakia is not present enough I will put a few fingerfulls of Pirate Kake in it just to bring out the smokiness. I'm not really a blender but like Harris said it's just too expensive to not try to salvaage something you don't like. I just can't bring myself to throw it away. Anyone have any experiance with adding whiskey or scotch into a tobacco? If so how much do you use?

Posted 6 years ago #
  8. papipeguy

papipeguy

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I had a similar experience with Peterson's Christmas bland from 2011. Just too sweet for me. So I mixed in 2 oz of straight latakia hoping to tame the sweetness. Still too sweet for me. It's sitting in a sealed plastic bag and I'm hoping time will tame the beast. Failing that I will probably pitch it.

Blowin' smoke since 1970.
    Posted 6 years ago #

You must log in to post.

Back To Top  | Back to Forum Home Page

Members Online Now
   the85boro, mso489, jguss, donjgiles, yaboofive, skeeter456, cosmicfolklore, mtwaller, james72