Blending question - Latakia and aromatics??

SmokingPipes.com Updates

12 Fresh Moonshine Pipes
48 Fresh Savinelli Pipes
2 Fresh Chris Asteriou Pipes
New Cigars
2 Fresh Former Pipes

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

tpicking

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 23, 2011
I love blending small batches of my tobaccos to see what new flavors I can come up with, but one thing I've not tried is adding Latakia to any of my aromatics. I love both aromatic and Latakia blends, but I don;t want to make a mix that I have to throw away.
Has anyone tried a Latakia blended with any aromatics??

judcole

Lifer
Sep 14, 2011
Detroit
There are some nice crossovers out there. Usually they are just lightly topped, not cased.
Try a small batch, and keep track of your measurements. If it works, you can repeat it; if not, you'll have a better idea of how to tweak it. :puffy:

classicgeek

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 8, 2010
Try a bowl at a time. Right now I've got a pipe loaded with a mix of 50/50 CAO Eileen's Dream and Mac Baren HH Vintage Syrian. Just loaded a pinch of one, a pinch of the other... repeat until full.
This mix works for me. Each of the tobaccos on their own are a little "way out there" for me. Eileen's has a fantastic room note that my wife loves but the taste is lifeless. The HH Syrian is loaded with latakia and has a flavour and room note to match. I put 'em together one time just for the fun of it and it worked. My only problem is that I have a lot more HH Syrian on hand than Eileen's Dream. I might have to get another tin of ED to continue my mixing madness.
Simon

schmitzbitz

Lifer
Jan 13, 2011
Port Coquitlam, B.C.
Has anyone tried a Latakia blended with any aromatics??
Samuel Gawith Chocolate Flake is the first thing that popped into my head when you said this; a nice, earthy Virginia / Latakia flake, with just a touch of cocoa casing. Not the only aromatic on the market with Latakia in the recipe, but probably my favourite (that I've encountered). A lot of the so-called "American English" blends contain a cased burley component in addition to Lat as well.
As for my own creations, I do like to treat myself to the occasional bowl of Petersons University Flake; mixed 4:1 with blending Latakia.

salewis

Can't Leave
Jan 27, 2011
I ususally smoke light English blends. GLP Westminister is one of my favorites. Another tobacco in my rotation is Blue Mountain by McMillan. Blue Mountain technically is classified as latakia blend, however, it also has what I would describe as an aromatic bent to it. Anything aromatic usually really turns me off, however, Blue Mountain is a nice light latakia blend with something else.

nsfisher

Lifer
Nov 26, 2011
Nova Scotia, Canada
25% of my bowls full r one of my homemade mixtures ie: frog M and larry's blend 50/50, green sail and LJ Burley 50/50, 7 seas royal and Namaste. I just like experimenting. CAUTION LOL Never mix Green Sail and LJ virginin, i mixed it 60/40 and my tounge is on fire 2 days now.

pipedisciple

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 18, 2011
I hear that C&D has several crossovers aromatics and latakia blends for sale. I have not tried and but do like both. :puffy:

clanobucklin

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 19, 2010
Yep - Aros and English mixtures mix well. My friend MJTannen turned me on to 50% Wilkes Best and 50% BCA - makes for a great smoke.

Status
Not open for further replies.