PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Perique

Lifer
Sep 20, 2011
www.tobaccoreviews.com
The CH blending thread got me thinking: with apologies to the CH aficionados, I find Anglers' Dream a superior tobacco. I was intrigued, however, with the idea of blending - particularly with the suggestion of blending a 50/50 mixture of CH & 1Q. That got me thinking ( always a dangerous thing)...
I have mixed up six blends, which will be kept in small mason jars (down here we call 'em jelly jars) for six months, just enough so the blend has some time to think about itself. I will then smoke 1-2 bowls of each before setting them aside for another 6 months and seeing how they taste after one year. Having only a small amount of 1Q on hand, I used Gatlinburlier's Mountain Mall Mix: a good substitute and one of the small handfuls of aromatics that I enjoy on occasion. I also decided to do a mix with Stanwell's Melange- an oft maligned aro with a fantastic tin note and one I thought could benefit from blending with a straighter burley. Plus I had some on hand that is rarely smoked so I figured, what the heck.
The blends are as follows, all roughly 50/50
1. CH and Walnut

2. AD and Walnut

3. CH and GB mountain mall mix

4. AD and GB mountain mall mix

5. CH and Melange

6. AD and Melange
I have no idea what to expect here, but I will report back results after six months. If successful, I am already thinking of blends involving one of the Mac Baren burleys.
Hopefully I have not just wasted a bunch of perfectly good tobacco. We shall see. As with all things, I have high hopes...

uberam3rica

Lifer
Sep 7, 2011
Capac, Michigan
It will be interesting to see how this turns out. I got a free sample of Anglers Dream from Russ back when it was in it's prototype days. I din't care for it, but I might pick up a tin sometime to see if the final product is better. Who knows after the different baccys I've tried, I might like it now.

nsfisher

Lifer
Nov 26, 2011
Nova Scotia, Canada
Hey mate, I just read a few reviews on your Anglers Dream. Sounds pretty good and right along my line as well. It probably would work very well as a mixer. Let us know how your mixes turn out.

Perique

Lifer
Sep 20, 2011
www.tobaccoreviews.com
Well, nsfisher, you gave me the idea! So thanks. I don't know why it never occurred to me, but I bet most aromatics that I otherwise wouldn't smoke - you know, the kind with great tin note but one-dimensional flavor, can be made better by cutting with some manner of straightish burley.

Status
Not open for further replies.