PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

gop1ayoutside

Lurker
Apr 22, 2014
Howdy fellas,
I have some BCA that needs drying out and some Prince Albert that is a little too dry. I am thinking that by mixing them they might even out some and maybe the resulting blend will be smokable?
Has anyone tried this? I wonder how long it would take to work... I am guessing more than a few minutes (doh!).
Anybody ever tried blending BCA with Prince Albert and was it any good?

eastwoodaudio

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 23, 2013
I have not tried blending them, nor smoked either of them, however I'm all for blending certain tobaccos for a bowl. If your only goal is to even out the moisture level of both blends, I would say rehydrate the PA by putting it in a bowl (not pipe bowl, lol) with a damp paper towel over it, but not so the paper towel is touching the tobacco. I would also dry out the BCA on its own. However if you feel like experimenting, I would take a small equal amount of each and toss it in a plastic bag/jar, let it sit for a while to even out on moisture content, and smoke it. Good luck, and welcome to the forums!

cobguy

Lifer
Oct 18, 2013
A similar blend done by many is Carter Hall with Lane's 1Q.

This sounds like it would be similar and should work out fine.

Mix them together and jar them up for a while ... and report back! :)

spartan

Lifer
Aug 14, 2011
Really sweet cavendish or aromatic blends due really well when you dilute them with a burley blend you really like.
Do it. Start at 50/50 and go from there.

gop1ayoutside

Lurker
Apr 22, 2014
Well I tried a bowl of the 50/50 BCA/PA blend and also set some aside in a baggie for the moisture to equalize before my next smoke. I found it to smoke quite well with delicious flavor and only a couple re-lights for about the first half or two thirds of the bowl. The end of the bowl I started struggling to keep it lit, I think it was wet, I guess I will need to dry the BCA better before blending in the future.
Focussing on the first part of the bowl (MM Mizzou w/ Walker Briar churchwarden stem) when it was smoking good: it smoked nice and cool, got some great puffs of flavor from the BCA. I don't know if it was just the drier tobacco but I felt like compared to the straight BCA the flavor was opened up some. I will certainly keep working with this and try to keep this forum updated with my findings, I think there is potential here!

captainbob

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 5, 2010
Give it a try... However, I recommend starting with the blends in the mixture being at equal "dry" levels. Whatever is equal, to start with. Then, mix them together. After doing that, put them in an air-tight container and spray water on the underside lid of the cover. Repeat once per day until satisfied with the moisture level.

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

derfargin

Lifer
Mar 3, 2014
Kennesaw, GA
As a matter of fact, I did this just two days ago with PA and BCA. It smoked ok, but I actually I actually prefer the taste of PA on its own. Even though PA is a one dimensional smoke, I dont mind it at all for a cleaning-the-garage, or yard work smoke.
On a side note, I'm currently in the middle of my "drugstore" blend shoot out to get an idea of which one I like the most. Thus far I've smoked PA, Carter Hall, and Sir Walter. To this point it seems to be PA then Carter Hall, and Sir Walter. I've got a few more to try before I declare a winner for my cellar. I've also heard that mixing PA and CH is good, which I did, but I didn't really find it anhy better than either of them on their own.
Sorry to go on a tangent, but the mixing PA got my mind wandering.

captainbob

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 5, 2010
I smoked Half & Half for 21 years, exclusively. But, then I decided to try creating my own blend of what I wanted and could never find. Thanks to the help of the late Craig Tarler, of C&D, the rest is history. I tried Half & Half after that and could not tolerate the "goopy" caused by the preservative "propylene glycol". I am converted to tobacco produced without this preservative designed and used to extend shelf life. Manufacturers like Cornell and Diehl only use distilled water and they do not use preservatives to extend shelf life. Most, if not all, of over-the-counter blends use PG as a preservative. But, if after all your trials you find what pleases you, by all means, enjoy it. After all, I did so for many years. You do owe it to yourself to try tinned blends that do not use PG as a preservative. You might also become a convert, as I was. In the end, just smoke what you like a and like what you smoke. Enjoy!

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

hawke

Lifer
Feb 1, 2014
Augusta, Ga
A comment here relating to the original question.
With my limited experience Im still sorting out the causes of tongue bite. I suspect that moisture and Virginia's disagree with my individual body ph. Some overly moist tobaccos Ive tried probably had too much propylene glycol(PG) and would never dry out no matter how long I left them open to the air. Mixing a high moisture tobacco that's high PG and a dried out burley(which doesnt bite me) would not work for me. It would only result in a mixture of biting and non-biting tobacco, not a smoother no bite smoke.
I like Latakia flavor but find it blended with Virginia and others which are not quite what Im wanting to try. Ive ordered some "blending latakia" and intend to mix it with some CH burley and see how it effect tongue bite. By smoking CH alone my tongue heals quickly. Allowing my Virginia Flakes to dry out helps some and also the biotene mouthwash, but the high content PG tobaccos are just useless in my situation. Keeping the bowl cool & moisture free, and finding the blends sold which match my body ph is the key. John Bull and Dan Tobacco Independence are the least tongue biting with latakia tones and PA and CH burleys. Got off topic somewhat but it was to support the statement:
Mixing a high moisture tobacco that's high PG and a dried out burleys would only result in a mixture of biting and non-biting tobacco for me, not a smoother no bite smoke. The PG overtime would moisten up the burley I imagine but re-hydrating would be my choice on the burley.

virginiacob

Can't Leave
Dec 30, 2013
Not exactly mixing the tobacco, but just the other day I was smoking a cavendish blend that was a little too moist and was having a difficult time keeping it lit. I also happened to have a VA blend with me that was starting to get a little too dry but lights very well. So I took a pinch of the dry tobacco and added it on top of the moist cavendish to use as a "starter". It actually worked great. It lit the first time and I was able to smoke the entire bowl without having to re-light.

Status
Not open for further replies.