PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

1daniel

Lurker
Nov 30, 2011
has anybody tried blender's gold, all natural pipe tobacco.Walgreen drugstore has it.

From what I understand it is just plain pipe tobacco no fancy flavorings. can anybody shed some light on this???
It was sure help for looks like this is the best price in town

$20 per 12 oz. bags makes it $1.66 an ounce.

please give me some feedback.

Thank you dastardly Dan

gecko13

Part of the Furniture Now
Feb 2, 2011
Goodyear,AZ
Any of the Lane blends, 1Q, BCA, MV1000, etc. are about that same price in bulk, and a MUCH better product. IMHO

judcole

Lifer
Sep 14, 2011
Detroit
There's a reason why it's so cheap, Dan.
VERY low grade.

+1

If I want to smoke a OTC I usually go to PA, Carter Hall, or Granger.
+1
I understand being careful with your money - I can be frugal myself. But you're a lot better off spending an extra $10 and buying something decent, then going for low-end and finding yourself with unsmokeable junk. Go to some place where you can buy an ounce of some better bulks, drop $30-$35 for 8 ounces of tobacco or so (including shipping), and you will be much happier. Smoke the best stuff you can afford. :puffy:

markw4mms

Lifer
Jun 16, 2011
Bremen,GA
Ditto what the other guys said. Also, a lot of cheap generic "pipe" tobacco you see like that isn't really pipe tobacco at all, it's RYO cigarette tobacco labeled as pipe tobacco to get around the RYO taxes.

juvat270

Aug 1, 2011
I got a hold of a bag of Blenders Gold "Black and Burely." The stuff smelled nice in the bag but was so drenched in PPG that no amount of drying time would have helped it. I tossed it all in the garbage.

judcole

Lifer
Sep 14, 2011
Detroit
I got a hold of a bag of Blenders Gold "Black and Burely." The stuff smelled nice in the bag but was so drenched in PPG that no amount of drying time would have helped it. I tossed it all in the garbage.
I understand being careful with your money - I can be frugal myself. But you're a lot better off spending an extra $10 and buying something decent, then going for low-end and finding yourself with unsmokeable junk. Go to some place where you can buy an ounce of some better bulks, drop $30-$35 for 8 ounces of tobacco or so (including shipping), and you will be much happier. Smoke the best stuff you can afford.
'Nuff said. :D

igloo

Lifer
Jan 17, 2010
woodlands tx
It is made by Altadis for them it is your basic burley codger blend . The vanilla in the Wallgreens brand is quite tasty . If you like Altadis blends it might be up your alley .I for one do not care for thier PPG levels . The reason it is so cheap is because Wallgreens sells a boat load of it . And someone must like it if they can sell it coast to coast .Please ignore the know it alls who actually know very little . `

juvat270

Aug 1, 2011
Please ignore the know it alls who actually know very little . `
Who are these "know it alls" you are referring to and what do they know very little of? :roll:

sherlock

Can't Leave
Aug 21, 2011
I used to smoke this blend and a couple of other Walgreen's blends. They are not terrible, but their not great either. I don't have the negative view some others have, but I think in the long run you would be happier with another blend. With that said I would give it a try and if you like it keep smoking it. There is nothing wrong with smoking a "cheap" blend if you like it.

judcole

Lifer
Sep 14, 2011
Detroit
If you really want to try this, go ahead. But, instead of dropping $20 on 12 ounces, why don't you see if someone will send you some by posting in this thread. Then you can see for yourself.
And it's a shame that some folks can't disagree with what others post without calling names. :puffy:

bigvan

Lifer
Mar 22, 2011
Jud's absolutely right. Differing opinions are GOOD.
And if this is NOT the lowest quality tobacco, then what IS?

spyder71

Jul 14, 2011
Black and Burley was the first one I tried. I burned my mouth so bad! I know I have an allergy to PG because I cant even have the stuff in my shampoo, but didn't know a thing about it being in tobacco. I tried to dry it in front of the AC for 24hrs and it was still goopy to the touch.

This is how I found this forum, trying to figure out why I hurt so bad after smoking my pipe.

judcole

Lifer
Sep 14, 2011
Detroit
I'd like to add a comment.

I have been smoking a pipe for over 40 years, with a break of maybe 8-10 years when I focused on cigars.

I started with American aromatics - John Rolfe, Rum & Maple, Borkum Riff. Then I discovered the Dutch blends - Sail and Troost. They weren't drenched in artificial flavors and PG. It opened up a whole new world to me, that eventually led to blends from the British companies - Dunhill, State Express London. (Anyone else remember the rectangular tins with a big panny taped to the bottom to open it?)

Likewise, I started with drugstore pipes, and then moved on. I can't afford expensive hand made pipes, but have a couple of Stans, a Comoy - some of that sort of stuff.

What I learned from all of this is that my enjoyment is heightened by smoking the best pipes and tobacco I can afford. I still appreciate a good cob, and have a couple of old drugstore pipes that were really good smokers. And I have recently learned to appreciate the old codger burleys - Kentucky Club, Prince Al, Granger.

But if you ask for advice, I will tell you what I have learned - and that is, you are better off with one good estate pipe - say, a Stanwell - then you are with three drugstore pipes for the same amount of money.

Likewise, you are better off spending a little more for better grades of tobacco than you are with low-end stuff, whose only selling point is low price.

I joined this forum to share my experience. There's no right or wrong about it - just what I have learned. (I have learned tons from the guys and gals in the Yahoo Pipesmokers 2 group. Joe Harb, Steve Fallon, John Offerdahl - these guys helped me learn about Virginia blends, flakes, and have broadened my enjoyment.)

There's nothing wrong with being knowledgeable - that's a lot different from being a know-it-all.

Pipe smoking is a journey. Enjoy it. But don't be afraid to listen to folks who are farther along the road than you are! :puffy:

toadfrog

Lurker
Dec 29, 2011
I tried the Black and Burley and the Vanilla blends and I really didn't care for the after-taste. Right now, I'm a big fan of Borkum Riff Bourbon Whiskey.
Tobacco is a highly subjective experience. What I like may not appeal to you and vice-versa.
Part of the pleasure of pipe smoking, for me, is experimenting with different things and ideas as I explore the "zen" of pipe smoking.

igloo

Lifer
Jan 17, 2010
woodlands tx
So now that my low grade junk that I smoke has been insulted and the low grade drug store pipe I smoke it in as well .I shall retire .

juvat270

Aug 1, 2011
So now that my low grade junk that I smoke has been insulted and the low grade drug store pipe I smoke it in as well .I shall retire .
No one here said anything insulting towards you, "your" tobacco or your pipe.
Honestly, grow up. :roll:

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
Florida
Got tired of hacking because of cigarette papers. Had been rolling my own for years and the Drum "job" papers and the tobacco were great. Now? too expensive. I'm glad. I had started buying some of the bulk stuff for RYO they label as pipe tobacco. Ran out of papers one day and thought. Now I smoke a pipe. That was 6 weeks ago. I'm into my first can of SWRaleigh...a pouch of Captain Black White...but, back to Blender's Gold...well..I went to Walgreen's and bought a Legend. After about two days of smoking the RYO stuff..I went back and got some Walgreen's Black and Burley....and began to mix it with the RYO...as I was consuming this I was looking into pipe tobacco online...and that's when I ordered the Raleigh...just two weeks later I've acquired another 11 used pipes on Ebay and have ordered some Peter Stokebye tobaccos.....I'm rotating 3 nice cobbs right now for my daily consumption, but I've got plans to implement 4 briars and a Meerschaum...the briars are getting the S & A treatment right now...

Status
Not open for further replies.