Pipes Magazine » General Pipe Smoking Discussion

Tags:  No tags yet. 

Blender's Gold Natural

(23 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

1daniel

Login to Send PM

has anybody tried blender's gold, all natural pipe tobacco.Walgreen drugstore has it.
    From what I understand it is just plain pipe tobacco no fancy flavorings. can anybody shed some light on this???

It was sure help for looks like this is the best price in town
    $20 per 12 oz. bags makes it $1.66 an ounce.
    please give me some feedback.
    Thank you dastardly Dan

Posted 2 years ago #
  2. User has not uploaded an avatar

Anonymous

Unregistered

Login to Send PM

I have never smoked any of the value blends sold at Walgreens. If I want to smoke a OTC I usually go to PA, Carter Hall, or Granger. Sorry I couldn't help.

Posted 2 years ago #
  3. bigvan

bigvan

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

There's a reason why it's so cheap, Dan.

VERY low grade.

Posted 2 years ago #
  4. gecko13

gecko13

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Any of the Lane blends, 1Q, BCA, MV1000, etc. are about that same price in bulk, and a MUCH better product. IMHO

"To Learn Who Rules You, Find Out Who You Can't Criticize" Voltaire

"The pipe draws wisdom from the lips of the philosopher, and shuts up the mouth of the foolish; it generates a style of conversation, contemplative, thoughtful, benevolent, and unaffected..."
    Posted 2 years ago #
  5. judcole

Jud

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

There's a reason why it's so cheap, Dan.

VERY low grade.

+1
    If I want to smoke a OTC I usually go to PA, Carter Hall, or Granger.

+1

I understand being careful with your money - I can be frugal myself. But you're a lot better off spending an extra $10 and buying something decent, then going for low-end and finding yourself with unsmokeable junk. Go to some place where you can buy an ounce of some better bulks, drop $30-$35 for 8 ounces of tobacco or so (including shipping), and you will be much happier. Smoke the best stuff you can afford.

Thought in the early morning, solace in time of woes,
    Peace in the hush of the twilight, balm ere my eyelids close
    Rudyard Kipling
    Posted 2 years ago #
  6. markw4mms

markw4mms

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Ditto what the other guys said. Also, a lot of cheap generic "pipe" tobacco you see like that isn't really pipe tobacco at all, it's RYO cigarette tobacco labeled as pipe tobacco to get around the RYO taxes.

"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety."
    - Benjamin Franklin
    Posted 2 years ago #
  7. juvat270

juvat270

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I got a hold of a bag of Blenders Gold "Black and Burely." The stuff smelled nice in the bag but was so drenched in PPG that no amount of drying time would have helped it. I tossed it all in the garbage.

Posted 2 years ago #
  8. judcole

Jud

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I got a hold of a bag of Blenders Gold "Black and Burely." The stuff smelled nice in the bag but was so drenched in PPG that no amount of drying time would have helped it. I tossed it all in the garbage.

I understand being careful with your money - I can be frugal myself. But you're a lot better off spending an extra $10 and buying something decent, then going for low-end and finding yourself with unsmokeable junk. Go to some place where you can buy an ounce of some better bulks, drop $30-$35 for 8 ounces of tobacco or so (including shipping), and you will be much happier. Smoke the best stuff you can afford.

'Nuff said.

Posted 2 years ago #
  9. igloo

igloo

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

It is made by Altadis for them it is your basic burley codger blend . The vanilla in the Wallgreens brand is quite tasty . If you like Altadis blends it might be up your alley .I for one do not care for thier PPG levels . The reason it is so cheap is because Wallgreens sells a boat load of it . And someone must like it if they can sell it coast to coast .Please ignore the know it alls who actually know very little . `

“There was an awful suspicion in my mind that I'd finally gone over the hump, and the worst thing about it was that I didn't feel tragic at all, but only weary, and sort of comfortably detached.”
    Posted 2 years ago #
  10. juvat270

juvat270

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Please ignore the know it alls who actually know very little . `

Who are these "know it alls" you are referring to and what do they know very little of?

Posted 2 years ago #
  11. sherlock

sherlock

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I used to smoke this blend and a couple of other Walgreen's blends. They are not terrible, but their not great either. I don't have the negative view some others have, but I think in the long run you would be happier with another blend. With that said I would give it a try and if you like it keep smoking it. There is nothing wrong with smoking a "cheap" blend if you like it.

Posted 2 years ago #
  12. judcole

Jud

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

If you really want to try this, go ahead. But, instead of dropping $20 on 12 ounces, why don't you see if someone will send you some by posting in this thread. Then you can see for yourself.

And it's a shame that some folks can't disagree with what others post without calling names.

Posted 2 years ago #
  13. bigvan

bigvan

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Jud's absolutely right. Differing opinions are GOOD.

And if this is NOT the lowest quality tobacco, then what IS?

Posted 2 years ago #
  14. spyder71

Spyder

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Black and Burley was the first one I tried. I burned my mouth so bad! I know I have an allergy to PG because I cant even have the stuff in my shampoo, but didn't know a thing about it being in tobacco. I tried to dry it in front of the AC for 24hrs and it was still goopy to the touch.
    This is how I found this forum, trying to figure out why I hurt so bad after smoking my pipe.

"I used to cry because I had no shoes. Until I met a man who had no feet"- My favorite and I use it to get by...

Support The Epilepsy Awareness Foundation!
    Posted 2 years ago #
  15. judcole

Jud

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I'd like to add a comment.
    I have been smoking a pipe for over 40 years, with a break of maybe 8-10 years when I focused on cigars.
    I started with American aromatics - John Rolfe, Rum & Maple, Borkum Riff. Then I discovered the Dutch blends - Sail and Troost. They weren't drenched in artificial flavors and PG. It opened up a whole new world to me, that eventually led to blends from the British companies - Dunhill, State Express London. (Anyone else remember the rectangular tins with a big panny taped to the bottom to open it?)
    Likewise, I started with drugstore pipes, and then moved on. I can't afford expensive hand made pipes, but have a couple of Stans, a Comoy - some of that sort of stuff.
    What I learned from all of this is that my enjoyment is heightened by smoking the best pipes and tobacco I can afford. I still appreciate a good cob, and have a couple of old drugstore pipes that were really good smokers. And I have recently learned to appreciate the old codger burleys - Kentucky Club, Prince Al, Granger.
    But if you ask for advice, I will tell you what I have learned - and that is, you are better off with one good estate pipe - say, a Stanwell - then you are with three drugstore pipes for the same amount of money.
    Likewise, you are better off spending a little more for better grades of tobacco than you are with low-end stuff, whose only selling point is low price.
    I joined this forum to share my experience. There's no right or wrong about it - just what I have learned. (I have learned tons from the guys and gals in the Yahoo Pipesmokers 2 group. Joe Harb, Steve Fallon, John Offerdahl - these guys helped me learn about Virginia blends, flakes, and have broadened my enjoyment.)
    There's nothing wrong with being knowledgeable - that's a lot different from being a know-it-all.
    Pipe smoking is a journey. Enjoy it. But don't be afraid to listen to folks who are farther along the road than you are!

Posted 2 years ago #
  16. toadfrog

toadfrog

Login to Send PM

I tried the Black and Burley and the Vanilla blends and I really didn't care for the after-taste. Right now, I'm a big fan of Borkum Riff Bourbon Whiskey.

Tobacco is a highly subjective experience. What I like may not appeal to you and vice-versa.

Part of the pleasure of pipe smoking, for me, is experimenting with different things and ideas as I explore the "zen" of pipe smoking.

"A pipe is to the troubled soul what caresses of a mother are for her suffering child."
    -Indian proverb
    Posted 2 years ago #
  17. weezell

weezell

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Smoke what ya like..Like what ya smoke,no wrongs or rights

Posted 2 years ago #
  18. igloo

igloo

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

So now that my low grade junk that I smoke has been insulted and the low grade drug store pipe I smoke it in as well .I shall retire .

Posted 2 years ago #
  19. juvat270

juvat270

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

So now that my low grade junk that I smoke has been insulted and the low grade drug store pipe I smoke it in as well .I shall retire .

No one here said anything insulting towards you, "your" tobacco or your pipe.

Honestly, grow up.

Posted 2 years ago #
  20. igloo

igloo

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Still growing .

Posted 2 years ago #
  21. newbroom

newbroom

Login to Send PM

Got tired of hacking because of cigarette papers. Had been rolling my own for years and the Drum "job" papers and the tobacco were great. Now? too expensive. I'm glad. I had started buying some of the bulk stuff for RYO they label as pipe tobacco. Ran out of papers one day and thought. Now I smoke a pipe. That was 6 weeks ago. I'm into my first can of SWRaleigh...a pouch of Captain Black White...but, back to Blender's Gold...well..I went to Walgreen's and bought a Legend. After about two days of smoking the RYO stuff..I went back and got some Walgreen's Black and Burley....and began to mix it with the RYO...as I was consuming this I was looking into pipe tobacco online...and that's when I ordered the Raleigh...just two weeks later I've acquired another 11 used pipes on Ebay and have ordered some Peter Stokebye tobaccos.....I'm rotating 3 nice cobbs right now for my daily consumption, but I've got plans to implement 4 briars and a Meerschaum...the briars are getting the S & A treatment right now...

Posted 4 months ago #
  22. 12pups

12pups

Login to Send PM

I liked the natural a lot and would buy it again. The Cherry, on the other hand, wow -- an aftertaste that just wouldn't go away. I didn't try the others.

Liked the natural, though. And reviewed it here at Pipesmagazine.

That said, +1 to those who recommend to you that you maybe use the same money to buy some wonderful blends at the site sponsors' stores (if Walgreens is your only other choice). Or maybe pm me -- or someone with a better cellar might offer you this -- I can send you little samples of stuff I've found through this very site ... which you might like better than what Walgreen's offers. No sleight against the OTCs like the standard drugstore stuff (Captain Black, Sir Walter Raleigh, Prince Albert, etc.). I have them.

But once I tasted some of these others.... Ooo baby. Only so much money to spend on tobacco, so...

Well, let's say I get my meds at my favorite Rx and haven't had a reason to go in Walgreen's for many months. (Everything's overpriced in there anyway).

Joe

A man who has not passed through the inferno of his passions has never overcome them. -- Carl Jung
    Posted 4 months ago #
  23. 12pups

12pups

Login to Send PM

Wait... I did go to their tobacco shelves about a month ago. Bought a Bic lighter.

Posted 4 months ago #

You must log in to post.

Back To Top  | Back to Forum Home Page

Members Online Now
   mrholmes, willc, stephenw, jiminks