PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Interesting question. Admirals Choice is described as having been previously sold by a drugstore chain, but I recall all the varieties are Cavendish, which may be burley based, but doesn't sound like it would be originally called Blender's Gold Golden Burley. Admiral's Choice is carried by PC, maybe others. I'll watch this thread to see if someone gets the right answer.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Here's the PC pitch on Admiral's Choice, FYI:
Admiral's Choice was the house brand of pipe tobaccos for one of the largest chains of pharmacies in the US. They recently decided to stop carrying all tobacco products so we approached the manufacturer and asked for permission to carry the brand. We're pleased to announce that PipesandCigars.com is the exclusive online and catalog distributor of Admiral's Choice pipe tobacco. Try each Admiral’s Choice blend, Black & Gold Cavendish, Cherry Cavendish, Natural Cavendish, and Vanilla Cavendish and enjoy the pleasing aroma and relaxing pipe experience.
There are several versions, as you see. They are listed on the "menu" as premium tobacco blends.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
My Walgreen scaled back their pipes and tobacco to nearly nothing, but they still have a few small bowled Dr. Grabows behind the check-out counter and nearly on floor level. I think they may have a few pouches of tobacco, but without asking, I can't see what brand it is. I do not think it is Admirals Choice.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Found this.
http://pipesmagazine.com/forums/topic/walgreens-blenders-gold-golden-burley-toasted-cavendish

aldecaker

Lifer
Feb 13, 2015
I remember that thread! I never did get around to the Golden Burley, but the Natural was pretty OK.

aldecaker

Lifer
Feb 13, 2015
Well, I made it to Walgreen's, and they had a can of the Blender's Gold Golden Burley. It was only $7.99, so I grabbed it.
It is pretty heavy with humectant, like the other BG tobaccos I tried. After drying on a plate for 24 hours, it still smoked pretty wet. There was not much flavor; very, very subtle. The little flavor that was there was not bad, but this one is not going on my "buy it again" list.
I have to dig out my can of BG "Natural" and see how it stacks up, nose to nose.

Status
Not open for further replies.