PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

lawmax3

Can't Leave
Jan 18, 2013
What is your favorite blend to smoke in a cob - the one that really seems to shine?

For me, I find that I prefer Stokkebye LTF in a cob versus briar.

Billowing smoke and the flavor of coconut seems to be more intense.

petes03

Lifer
Jun 23, 2013
The Hills of Tennessee
I do agree that LTF is very good in a cob. Some of my favorites to smoke in cobs are the old OTCs, such as Carter Hall, Prince Albert, Half & Half and Sugar Barrel.

There's many many blends that go great in a cob, but those are just a few of my favorites!

Strike Anywhere

Can't Leave
Nov 9, 2011
Central United States
This is going to sound a bit cliche, but I have been smoking the new Missouri Meerschaum blends in my cobs since they were introduced at the Chicago Show. Russ did an awesome job on these blends (as usual), but they all really shine in a cob. I'm sure it's in my head, but when I smoke them in briars, they are "good". When I smoke them in cobs, they are great. I haven't tried the Great Dane yet (I failed to get a sample of that one), but if I find myself needing to live in austerity mode someday, I could easily find unending contentment with four cobs and each of the Missouri Meerschaum blends (assuming the Great Dane is as delicious as the other three).
My favorite of the three I've tried has easily been "American Patriot"; however, I've really enjoyed all three and believe they are solid examples of their genres (VAPER, English, and burley).

settersbrace

Lifer
Mar 20, 2014
If a tobacco doesn't smoke good for me in a cob it never makes it to my briars. I trust them that much. For my personal favorite in a cob it has to be Nightcap. Smooth with bursts of sweetness, smokiness, and nutty.

gunslinger

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 12, 2014
Everything smokes good in a cob but I agree that the OTC burleys seem to "shine" in them. Going to order some of the four new MM "made for cob" blends to see what Russ Ouellette came up with. Reviews sound positive in the early going.

latbomber

Part of the Furniture Now
May 10, 2013
My favorite cob blends are ribbon cut utilitarian blends that don't take too much thinking. I usually only smoke a cob when I'm outside doing stuff and am clenching the whole time. That to me is the whole beauty of cobs, they are workhorses that become part of whatever you are doing.

Jul 12, 2011
Any blend really :worship:
Peterson's University Flake, Solani's Silver Flake and 633, Aged Burley Flake, Escudo, Dunhill Flake, etc. The list goes on and on and....

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I'm having a hard time thinking of any blend I enjoy that doesn't do fine (or great) in a cob. You can go homespun with

Granger and Prince Albert (etc.), but nothing is too fine for a cob -- Nat Sherman 536, GLP anything, 965 -- it's all good.

Perique

Lifer
Sep 20, 2011
www.tobaccoreviews.com
H&H Classic Burley Kake shines in a cob, as does Angler's Dream. Also the Mac B burley blends. And Carter Hall, of course.
I've also found that Robert McConnell Scottish Cake does very well in a Foreverstemmed cob that's never tasted an aromatic.

wilson

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 17, 2013
Everything is good in a cob. I'm particularly fond of Carter Hall, especially in a cob that is fairly new and still has a bit of corn taste to it. Lately, as in just this weekend, I've been smoking Mac Baren Navy Flake in my cobs and it has been great.

Jan 8, 2013
I prefer Old Dark Fired in a cob. Seems to really bring out the flavor to me. Hell, thats pretty much my all day nonstop smoke.

Status
Not open for further replies.