PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mikenac

Lurker
Jan 19, 2014
Hey everyone,
I'm a long time cigar smoker, new pipe smoker looking for some recommendations. Some of the blends I have tried and really liked are:
Dunhill My Mixture 965

Dunhill Nightcap

Cooper Low Country Flake (may favorite so far)

Dunhill Standard Mixture
I would also like some recommendations of aromatics that are of better quality than the Lane 1-Q, Captain Blacks, etc. So far all of the aromatics I have tried kind of have a "charcoal" taste about half way through the bowl for me that I don't get with those other blends listed.
Thanks in advance for the advice.

Perique

Lifer
Sep 20, 2011
www.tobaccoreviews.com
It sounds like you enjoy Latakia, so if you're looking for an aromatic I would recommend Pipeworks & Wilke aromatic English blends - specifically No. 5 and No. 13. They are only available directly from Pipeworks & Wilke.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
If you want somewhat upscale aromatic pipe tobacco, still at a good price, look at the bulk tobacco listings

of Cornell & Diehl, McClellands, and many other brands at smokingpipes.com, pipesandcigars, 4 noggins

and other of our sponsors. The numbers of aro blends offered will make your head spin. I suggest you

order in small quantities until you find those you like. If you can attend a pipe show, you will be able to

sample a lot of aro and other tobaccos at no cost (beyond admission). Also look at tinned tobacco, but

bulk is a savings.

blueeyedogre

Lifer
Oct 17, 2013
4noggins three blind moose, Sutliff Molto Dolce, Peterson Luxury, and Rattray Bagpipper's Dream are all great Aro blends.

lordnoble

Lifer
Jul 13, 2010
In the duplicate of this thread bigdude007 posted this:

Hey Mikenac & welcome.

I'm reasonably new to the pipimg community as well. It will be 3 short years at the end of the month.

In that time I've covered a lot of ground in my eyesm but miniscule in the grand scheme of things.

The Dunhill blends you have mentioned I am familiar with and enjoy as well.

I would suggest "Robert Lewis 123 mixture" and his "Tree mixture" both Orientals with Latakia in there.

As for aromatics it was only today I was raving about Plantas' Elysee and maybe try Stanwells' Vanilla. High in Vanilla taste & sweetness, definitely a crowd pleaser as well.
Peace out
Dave
-Jason

swampmouth

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 4, 2013
Good quality aromatics: MCC Deep Hollow, Virginia woods, Grey havens, Reiner Professional. Three Star gold, blue, gray, bronze, also non aro royal which I compare flavor wise to And so to bed(all good buys as well). These are all fairly "natural". Other than Personal Reserve, I'm lost on the heavy english because I like most of them.

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
Pease "Gaslight" is a superlative tobacco, IMO, for a latakia forward tobacco

Fox Dorisco for something more moderate

rmbittner

Lifer
Dec 12, 2012
I want to strongly second the earlier recommendation of the two Robert Lewis blends: Tree Mixture and 123 Mixture. These are usually never mentioned here, and yet they are wonderful blends that I too would highly recommend to anyone who enjoys a fine English blend.
Bob

Status
Not open for further replies.