PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

fearsclave

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 9, 2014
Dropped by Montreal tobacconist Blatter & Blatter on Friday. I'm told my maternal grandfather was a customer of their's back in his day. It's a nice little 4-generation family shop. They make their own briars on the premises, and have a good (by Canadian standards, anyhow) selection of tobacco, including their own blends. The two pouches contain London (an English-style blend) and Reserve (a Balkan).
0731-600x338.jpg

They also carry a good selection of Cuban cigars.
I'm very happy with the bulldog. It smokes well, has no detectable vices, and I really like its look.

dmcmtk

Lifer
Aug 23, 2013
Looks great. Blatter & Blatter are an institution in the world of Canadian pipes, and from what I have heard, a pleasure to deal with. Well done!

pruss

Lifer
Feb 6, 2013
Mytown
Great score. I have had the pleasure of working on four Blatter Brothers pipes and they were all really well engineered, from great briar and well finished. I hope yours smokes like a champ.
-- Pat

fearsclave

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 9, 2014
Thanks guys. I'm very happy with the pipe; it has absolutely no detectable vices, I love the look of the thing, and from my extremely limited experience seems to smoke very well. Lurking around here and listening to the experts certainly paid off!
Also, wow, nice tinned pipe tobaccos are really nice. I loved the Escudo and Balkan Sasieni, and I suspect there are qualities lurking in the Presbyterian Mixture that I am not experienced enough to pick up on yet. It struck me as being nice and mild and mellow but not particularly remarkable.

timely

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 23, 2012
Blatter & Blatter make wonderful pipes, I am lucky enough to own one.

It smokes like a champ.

irishpiper104

Lurker
Dec 20, 2013
Just retured from Montreal 2 weeks ago. The wife and i stoped by Blatter & Blatter and i ended up buying 2 beautiful pipes…a black rusticated tomato & a 1/2 rusticated-smooth full bent. The shop is fantastic and they make all "their" pipes on prem. The pipes i bought, smoked so great, and are so georgious that we went back and bought a third one … a smooth full bent that my wife picked out. The brother's were great to talk to as was their nephew Pat. They gave us great advise on places to visit while in Montreal and again, were very hospitable! ive been so impressed with the smoking qualities of these pipes that i called Pat back two days ago and purchased two more pipes to join the collection… a black rusticated canadian & a smooth billiard. In a nut shell, i recommend Blatter Bros. pipes highly!

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
Great looking pipe, congrats and glad to hear you like how it smokes.
On one of my many visits to Montreal back in the late 1990's and early 2000's, I made a pilgrimage to BB and loved that place. One of my favorite all time English blends is their Blatter and Blatter Reserve. I bought pounds of this stuff and smoked it almost daily as one of my go to English blends. The stuff ages really well and if anyone loves a great English with a bit of Perique and some Turkish, you should really try it.
I had this rated as good as Penzance and my other favorite English, Two Friends Deacons Downfall, it is that good.

ghost

Lifer
May 17, 2012
Nice pipe! I have two Blatters I bought on a business trip to Mtl about 7 years ago (Good Lord, time is flying...) and they are still firmly in my rotation. I have one of them going right now with some Edward G. Robinson's which I've become quite obsessed with of late... :puffy:
(I look just like Puffy the Emoticon in real life too...)
EDIT- See?

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Question: Blatter and Blatter's web site doesn't seem to offer pipes for sale as such, more acts as a

promotional page with shapes and a history of the outfit. Do any U.S. online retailers handle these

pipes, or do you pretty much have to phone B&B to buy them? And if so, are you hit with the crazy

high customs charges? I'm probably not in the market at this point, but I'd like to know for the future.

Canada does good pipes, but I've never owned one.

ghost

Lifer
May 17, 2012
I would assume you'd have to call them. I'm not aware of any US retailer for their pipes, unless you score one off of eBay.
Their website has been the same for ages, they desperately need to update it. Almost makes them look like they aren't still in business.

Status
Not open for further replies.