PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
K

klause

When I first set eyes on this my immediate reaction was,'Wow! Gorgeous Celius - shame they changed the stem!'
Then I looked more closely and saw that it wasn't a Celius - t'was a Reject London Made.
Does anyone recognise the shape as being specific to any particular manufacturer? For a reject it's gorgeous, and that blast is wonderful.
blast1.jpg

blast2.jpg

blast3.jpg

blast4.jpg

blast5.jpg

blast6.jpg

K

klause

Thanks, Walt - simply looking at the pictures makes my heart beat just a little faster - I think it's gorgeous, a real classic. Looking forward to actually getting it in hand. :D

mranglophile

Can't Leave
May 11, 2015
United States
To me it looks like a Ben Wade "Hand Model" reject....does it say London Made or London England? Not sure When they are made exactly but I have 1(had 2) both had amzing blasts.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I haven't seen a pipe with a "reject" in its stamp before. To me, that's quite remarkable. I've only seen pipes where the maker's stamp is left off. This is a beautiful pipe, and I'll be pleased to have them reject one or two of those into the basket at my pipe shop. I've never bought a basket pipe that I didn't smoke, keep, and enjoy, but I haven't bought one in years. Recent basket pipes have been pretty junky, clumsy finishes, cheesy plastic stems, nothing I'd want. Ben Wade sounds possible, but not certain to me.

K

klause

I have it in hand - it was waiting for me when I got home.
It is a massive pipe - huge - hardly smoked; and the Blast!!! Wow! Deep, craggy, perfect.
Michael, it says, "LONDON MADE," under "REJECT".
This thing is absolutely beautiful - far better than I hoped for, or expected.
Walt, you said it :)

mranglophile

Can't Leave
May 11, 2015
United States
If it says London Made I would bet money on Ben Wade then....same as my Hand Model and the stamping is consistent....they also had a Giant series that are even bigger often with a plateau top like yours. The newer Giants and "hand mades" (not hand models) look like a shell finish with many layers of a oxblood like stain that eventualy looks black, the Hand Model's that I have seen usually are brown blasted. Can you tell what makes it a "reject"? Great pipe Klause enjoy!

K

klause

Michael, thanks for that - great info - I very much appreciate it.
On close inspection this has layers of stain, resulting in a black finish, which, even after a bit of a soapy clean, is still shiny and 'solid'. I can't see anything to make this a reject, but, I'm not sure what I'd be looking for - no obvious fills, or flaws - at least not that I can see. That's not to say they aren't there, of course - they must be.
Interesting thing, the stem has a bore so wide that it can accommodate 2 fluffy pipe cleaners - the big ones - in one go. If I try to use a single cleaner it literally just falls through with next to no resistance. The only time I've come across a stem with a bore like this was on a very old Barling, and that was a very big pipe.
The pipe has been hardly smoked, maybe only a few time - it really is spotless, apart from some minor stem oxidation. I think I'm going to enjoy this pipe - but, perhaps only when I'm feeling financially flush - it'll take a lot of tobacco to fill - and have a few hours to spare.
Thanks again for the info.

May 31, 2012
I'd concur that it came from the Charatan factory,

the shape and the way they rusticated the final end of the shank is usually a tell-tale sign for me,

along with the stamping space.
Perhaps it got the "reject" designation from the slight dip on the rim in front of the bowl?

But that's something to be celebrated in my book,

I love it.
Charatan always put out some great blasts,

and amazingly,

some of their finest are to be found on 2nds.
I have a couple that are stunning.
Whoever they had manning the blast station was in top form!
The example you have hits all the good marks,

excellent shaping, great blast, and looks like a nice stem too.
Some tight grain on that bad boy too!
Congrats!
Enjoy it well!

:puffy:

K

klause

the shape and the way they rusticated the final end of the shank is usually a tell-tale sign for me,

along with the stamping space
Troy, your eye for tiny details, knowledge and understanding never cease to amaze me - humbled, mate. As I am by all the contributions to this threat - thanks very much to everyone - you make this more than just a piece of briar.
The dip in the front of the bowl is the only thing i can find that may designate this as a second - but, i dismissed that as it seemed so 'right' - well, to my eye at least - but, I can see how some purists would be repelled by this ;-) Me? I'm drawn to it.

Jan 4, 2015
Massachusetts
I have a pipe labeled "Reject London Made" and it is clearly a GBD 9438 (English Variant). I suspect it was a brand used for a wide range of stummels or finished pipes purchased from a number of manufacturers. I also suspect they were overstocks more than real rejected pipes as the one I have is every bit the quality of the other pre-Codogan GBDs I own. There is no discernable difference. Mine is also a blast. Pipes in blast finishes probably outnumbered smooth pipes by a considerable amount leaving a lot of manufactures with a surplus of pipes in that finish.

Status
Not open for further replies.