PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

jimbo69

Might Stick Around
Jun 21, 2014
My search only brought up some rather old posts on this series.
It was mentioned in another thread and made me curious to try it. I've been following the threads on home cooking tins and haven't quite had the courage to bake one of mine. :crazy:
Along with the horn-stemmed Ropp rusticated vintage Dublin (387) (Thanks enablers!!!) :roll: I ordered the 4 different tins SP had available.
Anyone had these recently? I'll be breaking into one Friday when it arrives, along with aforementioned Ropp.

torque

Can't Leave
May 21, 2013
I've tried tawny flake, a very flavorful VA. Blakeney's seems to be a low volume selling blend, check the dates when you receive your tins, you might be pleasantly surprised. :)

agnosticpipe

Lifer
Nov 3, 2013
In the sticks in Mississippi
The only one of this series of blends that I've tried is the Latakia Flake. I found a tin discounted at my local B&M and found it was dated 2009. I was pleasantly surprised at how much I liked it. This has become one of my favorite tobaccos, and rivals Penzance. No it's not the same, but is very similar and is a really nice smoke for a mid-range latakia blend. I am planning on buying more when this tin is done, I like it that much. Haven't tried any other yet, but based on this, I might just have to.

beefeater33

Lifer
Apr 14, 2014
Central Ohio
I have tried the Tawny Flake. I was gifted a sample with a pipe trade. I thought it was good, very mild. It didn't knock my socks off. Probably wouldn't order it-- I like my VA's to have a little more Body/Depth/Flavor.

buroak

Lifer
Jul 29, 2014
I have only tried Blakeney's Bayou Slice. I would describe the flavor as more mellow than comparable Va/Pers, but I do enjoy it. I will probably buy more and try some of the other blends.

Status
Not open for further replies.