PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

huntertrw

Lifer
Jul 23, 2014
The Lower Forty of Hill Country
Recently I purchased from pipestud the estate Blakemar briar bulldog pipe shown in the images below. I became intrigued by this brand after reading Mr. Richard Carleton Hacker's comment about it as published in his book titled "Rare Smoke - The Ultimate Guide to Pipe Smoking." Therein he states, "Only to be found in England, this is a small manufacturer catering to a very select group of purchasers."
I was also impressed by the citation concerning Blakemar on the pipedia.org Website (Blakemar Briars), and with their historical connection to Loewe. I am a sucker for family-run businesses, and Blakemar is one. Accordingly, I began to search for one of their pipes. This bulldog just seemed to jump up and down and say, "take me home!"
My question to those of you who own Blakemars is this: How are they as smokers? Please let me know your thoughts, as I will not be able to baptize this one with fire until the weekend.
Thank-you for your help with this!
$_57.JPG

$_57.JPG

$_57.JPG

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Don't know a thing about the brand, but visually it is a prime example of a classic bulldog, hedging its bet with a sort of taper/saddle stem, and with excellent grain. I'd guess it will be a primo smoker, if looks are any indication. Love my 'dogs.

buroak

Lifer
Jul 29, 2014
huntertrw, I wish I could provide something by way of an answer to your question. I tried unsuccessfully to buy a couple of the other Blakemars Mr. Fallon listed.

drennan

Can't Leave
Mar 30, 2014
Normandy
I've got 4 Blakemars, one champion and the rest are from the litchbruyere range. The drilling is pretty much spot on in all of them, he certainly hits the bottom of the bowl. All of them draw nicely and they don't gurgle. Two are super duper smokers and the other two are good smokers, they smoke better than my Stanwell's and Pete's in the same price range. I'll be buying more of his pipes as IMHO they smoke above their price point. Oh and Mike is super helpful and very accommodating.

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
Florida
I like the shape too. I've got a couple pipes shaped like that and just recently put a slight curve in their stems.

They now clench better, and I can see the keyboard more easily.

homewaters

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 16, 2014
A few years back I owned this pot billiard stamped "R. Martin" Litchborough, which I believe is a sub-brand of Blakemar. It was a fine smoker but I sold it because it was too heavy for my taste. Your post made me regret the sale!!! Good luck with yours and enjoy many great smokes!

blakemar-600x398.jpg

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
homewaters, if you like a full-size pot, not too much weight, and don't want to go high-priced, Iwan Ries has a nice one from Amadeus in a red stain, on a good Greek briar, for less than sixty bucks. I've had one for about two years and it's proven out. My only critique is that the stamp is partial and faded, but the pipe is good.

papipeguy

Lifer
Jul 31, 2010
Bethlehem, Pa.
I just checked out their new catalog. Very nice pipes for very reasonable money. I'm getting the itch based on everyone's comments here. maybe a bulldog and Zulu.

darthcider

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 24, 2014
Wales
I have a Blakemar Rhodesian Champion, sandblasted.

Matt black with a yellow stem.

It smokes great.

I called Blakemar and they were very helpful.

menuhin

Oct 21, 2014
Thanks for introducing this maker 'Blakemar'. Judging by the video I found, the skill of the maker matches (or actually even surpasses) those that I have seen in the Dunhill pipe-making video. And in under an hour, I can just finish restoring an easily workable estate pipe. 8O

Seems like a brand I should look into, small factories of this size seem always better.
Making of a Blakemar pipe

buroak

Lifer
Jul 29, 2014
menuhin, Thanks for sharing the video. Do you have a link to the Dunhill video? I would like to make the comparison.

huntertrw

Lifer
Jul 23, 2014
The Lower Forty of Hill Country
What a delightful pipe is this little Blakemar bulldog! To-date I have fueled it with some well-aged G.L. Pease Barbary Coast, the burn of which (because of its cube-cut) tends to be problematic in some of my briars. Not this one, though. It has handled it superbly and with ease, allowing me to smoke right to the bottom of the bowl with a minimal number of relights. I normally prefer a saddle bit, but thought that this one might be uncomfortable because of its tapered design. I was wrong. Further, its button suits me to a T.
Blakemar may not be widely-known, but if this particular pipe is indicative of their craftsmanship and quality, then I believe that they are well worth further investigation.

menuhin

Oct 21, 2014
@ buroak

Should be this one

http://youtu.be/BcmBL9bv_0I

I can see also craftsmanship in there but it seems to be more of a production-line style to me, when compared to the Blakemar video.

hutch

Lurker
May 31, 2015
hello all, i have 2 blakemars and they are perfect in everyway they smoke well,and feel good in the hand, i was put onto them by a old chap i met down in a place called parr,he had one for over 12 years and not a single problem and such a good price,i came home and looked through there site and ended up buying the 2, one is the Aristocrat stand up bent and the other is the De Luxe Artist Bent,and i know ill end up buying a couple more,and there so helpfull over the phone,so yes they are an excelent pipe and in my opinion they smoke better than my petersons hope this helps

owen

May 28, 2014
I have an R Martin Sherwood pipe. It smokes very well and has a beautiful feel to the stem.

oakbear

Might Stick Around
Dec 27, 2011
UK
R Martin is the brand which became Blakemar.
They are similar quality to Petersons and the like, although generally run a bit cheaper for similar quality. Quality can be a bit hit and miss, but some swear by them.

A benefit for some is that as a small operation have a personal touch which the big factories lack.

Status
Not open for further replies.