PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
I just saw this at an Imax theater this evening and I came away impressed. Visually, it was stunning and in the same vein as the original. The audio just as good as the original, but in Imax, a bit too loud for my old ears. A good story line, with some twists and a great villian. I think this might be the best sequel I've ever seen.

mrharris

Might Stick Around
Dec 2, 2015
Indiana
Good to hear. It is crazy some times how Hollyweird can take a script and turn our gold or a golden turd. I was hoping they hadn't done the latter with this one. Thanks for the review.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Jesse was rather impressed with this one as well. Hopefully I'll get time this weekend to catch it.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
Great point, and true to form, the sequel is also not doing well at the box office. I loved the original, it's in my top 20 movie's list.

wyfbane

Lifer
Apr 26, 2013
Tennessee
Don't let the box office fool you (and it's made over 90 mil in the first week so it's doing ok). This movie is great. My 12 year old liked all 2 hours 43 minutes of this and he hasn't even seen the first one.
I took a chance with him, and it paid off.
It is odd that it can be so good and be paced the way it is, but Villanueve pulls it off here like Scott did in the first one.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
Interesting wyfbane, my 28 year old son-in-law had not seen the original. We watched it last weekend. He thought it was boring. I suspect he would have enjoyed 2049 more.
My ears are still ringing from the Imax. Yes, Mr. Villanueve,I get it, in 2049 air cars will be very loud when then land...

jravenwood

Can't Leave
Apr 23, 2017
Great point, and true to form, the sequel is also not doing well at the box office. I loved the original, it's in my top 20 movie's list.
It may not be doing well at the box office, but you can get a better consensus of how a movie is received via online ratings; IMDB is at 8.6 with 75k reviews which is darn good.
Hope to see it in the next couple weeks, thanks for making this spoiler free!

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I liked dystopia movies better when things were more stable in the world (when was that?).

vokaa

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 7, 2017
Is it a good follow up to the original and the book? Or does it leave that story line?

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
One of my Facebook buddies described it as "from the same universe", so yes its a consistent story line.

To be honest, I thought that Ford was the weak link in the movie, but you be the judge.

rigmedic1

Lifer
May 29, 2011
I don't wanna be a spoilsport, but I didn't like the story. The visuals were great, but I feel it was a movie that didn't need to be made. I am a huge fan of the original too.

alicec24

Lurker
Oct 24, 2017
Interesting wyfbane, my 28 year old son-in-law had not seen the original assurances deces. We watched it last weekend. He thought it was boring. I suspect he would have enjoyed 2049 more.
My ears are still ringing from the Imax. Yes, Mr. Villanueve,I get it, in 2049 air cars will be very loud when then land...

I started watching the movie, but after a few minutes, I have a vague feeling of déjà vu.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
I took my son to see it at a preview screening on the Warners lot the day before it opened. I enjoyed it immensely. The Blade Runner universe, that Science Fiction hypnotic and hallucinogenic film noir, was recreated perfectly and the advancements in digital imaging technology allowed for some dazzling and occasionally darkly humorous visuals that we could only have dreamt of pulling off in 1981. The pacing is relaxed and lyrical while punctuated with moments of extremely violent action. As much as I got swept up into the film, I do think that it could have used a pair of shears and would have further benefited from pruning out 20 or more minutes of it. Still, all in all, one of the best films I've seen in many years.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
Jesse, you nailed it. My real only complaint was that it was a little too long (I grow impatient after 2 hours, this was close to 3). In an Imax theater, it was also far too loud for my old ears. I get, air cars are very loud! Remind me, in the future - to near live near an air car parking garage.

keith929

Lifer
Nov 23, 2010
I have seen the original about 3 times and I really enjoyed this sequel.
My only criticism like ssjones is it was a bit too long.

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
I'm very much looking forward to seeing this, but I definitely don't want to do a 3 hour movie in the theater. I'll wait for the DVD.

Status
Not open for further replies.