PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

ravenwolfe

Lurker
Jul 12, 2012
First smell:great

Upon first opening this blend I was greeted by the most pleasant aroma of earthy dark chocalate and sweet musty dried fruit i.e. raisin,plum etc with under tones of vanilla.The initial reaction was kid in the candy store so many wonderful aromas mixing together and slipping in and out of focusand only describable as good like grandmas house at the holidays.

Moisture:just right

The moisture content was just right.damp enough to stick together yet dry enough not to clump.I pack light to meduim and had no issue with relights after the intial char.To go a step further i dried it for about thirty minutes and same results charred then stayed lit though needed packed a little tighter as one would expect.then I tortured it and dried it all night it still was moist enough not to crumble away and as before chared and light though tighter pack required.Very little to no gurgle.

Bite:none

I smoked this blend in four different pipes a Macqueen Wizard,Vauen Nobile n293,Stanwell royal danish and A MM Cob.I hot boxed it,sipped let it go out and relight all to no avail this tobacco is very well behaved and refused to bite.

Burn:very cool

Through all of my experiments and torture test Blackstrap stood out as one of the top burning tobaccos I have tried.It burned evely with a generalized white ash in the center and and darker around the edgfes that were gladly turned to ash with a bit of tamping.In my churchwardens tried to get it to burn hot but without much luck.Even the Stanwell behaved well with very thin walls.

Smoke and Flavor:excellant

Ok the part that really matters.When first charring I recieved thick creamy vanilla right up front andlots of thick white smoke.After tamping and relighting the vanilla backs off a bit but is still the forefront.Approximatly 1/4 down the molassases starts to come in giving me a flavor more liken to a dark rum mixed with a vanilla coke.Athe bowl progress the vanilla fades away to a carmel earthy raisnish flavor.By the last 1/4 the sweetness takes the back up role and the tobacco flavor comes through mildly with thesweet earth molasses flavor playing backup and the vanilla carmels are just out of reach to latch on too.

Recomendation:High

Roomnote:wife loved it

ravenwolfe

Lurker
Jul 12, 2012
No problem.This was my first review and Im glad i got a really fine tobacco to start with.If there are any points i have left out that would be helpfull to the community let me know and i will udate the review.

samwell711r

Lurker
Aug 28, 2012
I posted this question somewhere else in this forum, but where can this Blackstrap be purchased. Internet search has been singularly unhelpful

bladeparker

Lurker
Jun 15, 2014
Blackstrap by Jack Lee Blend is by far my favourite blend, closely followed by Lane 1Q. It has a delicious caramel aroma out of the pouch and equally enjoyable when lit. It burns cool and stays lit with a nic hit that is not too harsh. It has a very full, thick smoke that I enjoy and rarely find with other blends. (I love it when the smoke is so thick and creamy you can feel it.) This is a must if you have not tried it yet.
Have you tried it already? I would love to try some similar blends, please recommend some!

agnosticpipe

Lifer
Nov 3, 2013
In the sticks in Mississippi
Is this actually a business? I can't find much about these tobaccos anywhere. Google has some reviews and YouTube videos, but not much else. His facebook page lists jackleeblend.com but when I try it, I get dropped off at Godaddy. Is this tobacco for sale anywhere?

andystewart

Lifer
Jan 21, 2014
Never heard of this blend or the blender - sounds interesting. I'm not hot on aro's but will give this a go if it's as good as it sounds. Any help on where to find it would be much appreciated.
Andy

bladeparker

Lurker
Jun 15, 2014
They are fairly low-key, you can contact them here info@jackleeblend.com. I have ordered from them multiple times from overseas and they are reliable.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I'm not as compelled by aromatics as non's, but this one sounds quite good.

ravenranger

Lurker
Feb 15, 2016
Thought I'd add a more recent review from a batch received February 2016:
The aromas that waft from the bag reminds one of deep, dark gingerbread fresh from the oven. Not gingerbread cookies but, that super dark ginger cake that grandmother used to make and serve with lemon sauce. The dark, sweet, spice note is very enticing.
Smoked in a no-name vintage Italian briarwood, the toasting light fills your mouth with dark, sweet café Cubano with an overtone of cocoa and baked goods. Despite the initial darkness, the true light gives a lightness at the back of the tongue with the flavor of pecans and shortbread and vanilla. As the bowl continues, the flavor moves towards the deep, dark gingerbread cake promised in the tin notes. The best part is it's never too sweet. The pleasant room note reminds one of caramelized sugar, cocoa, and creme brûlée although it does linger a little ashy. This is a really nice after dinner smoke.

Status
Not open for further replies.