PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

kane

Can't Leave
Dec 2, 2014
Hello,

I have been smoking from a tin of Blackhouse and a tin of Whitenight, both of which I am really enjoying. I have noticed that a bowl of Blackhouse burns much more quickly than Whitenight; Whitenight seems to be a nice slow burn, along the lines of the other tin I am smoking, Dunhill London Mixture.

Have other people noticed this about Blackhouse? I am wondering if this is normal for this blend, or if perhaps it's just the tin I have.

Both the BH and WN are flavorful and cool smoking to the bottom of the bowl btw, but BH seems to go pretty quick.
As an aside, one of the things that I like about both BH and WK is a slight pleasant tingle or numbing effect on the tongue (hard to put into words) when first lit up. It seems pronounced at first and then fades a bit as the flavors build as the bowl is smoked down. What element of the blend is doing this?

papipeguy

Lifer
Jul 31, 2010
Bethlehem, Pa.
I've noticed that since Sutliff began tinning the Hearth & home blends that they are dryer than in previous years and that could explain the faster burn rate.

Please, anybody, correct me if I'm off base here.

allan

Lifer
Dec 5, 2012
Bronx, NY
I have 6 tins of blackhouse plus a large open mason jar, but I really can't say that I've noticed a 'faster burn' than any other blend.
I'm going to try a bowl and see if I notice a difference.

blendtobac

Lifer
Oct 16, 2009
They're dry by design. Two reasons - drier tobaccos have richer flavor because there's less steam to dilute the smoke. The second reason is simple, I feel that you should pay for tobacco, not water. If you like your tobacco more moist, it's easy to add a little distilled water.
Russ

Cool, I'm in love with Whiteknight. Now, I'll have to try the other.

I've found that the dry tobaccos do have way more flavor for me, and makes the smoke much more comfortable. I always have to scratch my head when someone says that it makes the tobacco less tasty. Everyone is different, but it also makes me wonder if they've tried it dry. This is also what attracts me to the D&R blends. They come bone dry and the flavor just explodes with no tongue bite or scorch, YMMV.

kane

Can't Leave
Dec 2, 2014
Yes, this stuff is quite nice. I've been smoking it all day--well, off and on--but three bowls of it so far today, and as mentioned it's easy to finish the bowl. It's sweet all the way down. For the previous two nights I've smoked a bowl a WK, and that is very flavorful but mellow, a sweet taste and scent. But the BH has something more, more body and oomph, I think more nic, but still a very smooth smoke. From my very limited smoking experience, the best I can compare the flavor to is a creamier or velvetier MM965.

Status
Not open for further replies.