PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

puffndave

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 9, 2015
Starting with my experience in smoking cigars, I began my pipe smoking journey a bit on the fast side. I had only two useful pipes (briars) at the time, and I wanted to add a few more to my rotation as I experimented with different 'baccys without spending much, so I got myself a few MM cobs. From smoking the stogies I was used to vast clouds of smoke, and when smoking my pipes for that I got the heat and the gurgle in my cobs and briars which goes with it. The same mistake had been made for about as much time and intensity in my briars - they did get uncomfortably hot in the hand, but without noticeable damage either inside or outside of the bowl. The cobs all have blackened cells which show on the outside, although the inside of their bowls still appear to be even, with healthy cake. So, I'm not really sure if I was smoking either at the heat levels which would cause a briar to burn out - they, as much as my cobs got uncomfortably hot, and perhaps the fact that they did not "fissure" (as a newbie here recently put it), or burn a hole right into my hand was on accoun of my having smoked tobacco in much cooler cigar, therefore I understood this sort of heat could not be normal. I find it somewhat incomprehensible that one can smoke a briar past it's limit without the motivation of killing himself in one of the most painful ways possible, but here I am wondering if the beginnings of burnout on my cobs is evidence that I was close to doing that to my cobs. Or does cob have a lower heat tolerance than briar, thereby they are easier to burn out?
Also, I sort of wonder whether a few blackened cob cells isn't fairly normal, when the pipe still remains smokable. Does anyone who knows cobs find that to be inevitable for certain types of cob? By that, I refer to the difference between the highly porous and lighter weight white cobs, as opposed to the more dense dense stuff (so it feels apparent to me) of the MM Country Gentleman (which I later aquired, the other cobs in my collection are white). I'm more inclined to guess that different texture is a different cob variety as opposed to a different finishing style.

oldredbeard

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 20, 2012
Most of my cobs have some blackened cells. It seems to be normal for them.

Sep 27, 2012
Upland, CA.
I have three cobs I use when I'm working in the shop or driving... They too have the blackened cell's you speak of, but they've also had many bowls through them.

Now, what I would recommend is that you slow down when smoking a pipe, when I first started that was the hardest thing for me me to do.

May 4, 2015
Seems not to have affected any of mine over the years. Some of them seem more prone to the black cells than others. The lighter plaster finish like on the diplomat seems to display that quality in my experience. I, personally, think it adds to the pipe and makes it look more experienced. In my goofy head, I think smoking a new shiny cob in public makes me look novice or something. Not that anyone around me has any idea about cobs or pipes in general, but I still like a broken-down cob's look.

johnnyreb

Lifer
Aug 21, 2014
If your highly porous & light weight white cobs are Chinese corn cob pipes bought before you bought the MMCG, then that was your first mistake.

puffndave

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 9, 2015
Jonnyreb, Nope. My cobs are all MM. I actually went and combed the net for alternatives (I found the apparent lack of competition suspicious), and found few if any available at all. May have seen one which wasn't MM, and it looked like shit.
As noted before, the white cobs which MM makes their less expensive pipes with appears to be not a difference in finish. I see a difference in grain texture between my Country Gentleman and the stuff my Diplomat and Mark Twain are made of, plus the tighter grain of CG feels more dense, and perhaps by a lot. Not problematically so for weight, just noticable, and it's definitely more resilient to abuse than lower priced MM material. Does anyone have names for referring to these different cob materials?

huntertrw

Lifer
Jul 23, 2014
The Lower Forty of Hill Country
puffndave:
In his "The Ultimate Pipe Book" author Richard Carleton Hacker states that the corn cobs from which Missouri Meerschaum's pipe bowls are manufactured come from a strain developed in 1946 by the University of Missouri. If memory serves, then I believe that this particular strain is known as Collier corn. It features large, dense, woody cobs which, according to Mr. Hacker, require the use of a carbide-tipped saw to cut.

mephistopheles

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 14, 2014
I'm glad I stumbled upon this topic. I have a MM Legend (my first cob) that I've been puffing on for about a month and a half, and I noticed that the exposed cells are turning a golden brown color. I was starting to get concerned that the pipe was near death, but if you guys are smoking them until the cells are black and beyond then I'm sure I'm fine. :lol:

puffndave

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 9, 2015
Thank you, Huntertrw, that description sounds like the Country Gentleman cob material "large, dense, woody..", which is different than most of the MM product line. Most MM cobs such as the Washington and Diplomat are ordinary cob stuff, although still better than the Chinese crap.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Cobs, briars, clay, and Meerschaum all undergo color changes with use. As long as there is no evidence of burn-through, it's a good thing. The pipe is building character and becoming all your own.

Sep 23, 2015
Georgia
The blackened spots are normal. Don't worry about them. I have some Missouri Meerschaums that are over 30 years old. Missouri Meerschaums will color just like a real meerschaum pipe. I have many that have turned a deep golden-yellow, and a few that are almost brown.

Status
Not open for further replies.