PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

kennerth

Can't Leave
Jul 30, 2011
#4 is my favorite pipe made this year from a slab of black walnut that I have been carrying around with me for 35 years. It is grooved for my fingers and thumb, is a sitter, holds my cigar patiently, and smokes like a dream.

kennerth

Can't Leave
Jul 30, 2011
4shot.jpg

kennerth

Can't Leave
Jul 30, 2011
Length 6 1/2"

Height 2 3/4"

Bowl Depth 1 3/4"

Bowl Outside 2 3/8 by 1 3/4"

Bowl Inside 3/4" but open up wide on top.

Weight 4 oz.
Easy to load, easy to smoke, easy to clean.

kennerth

Can't Leave
Jul 30, 2011
14shot.jpg
[/img]
#1 I got lucky on my first attempt. 2010. Same slab as #4. Cross grain.
Walnut is very light. Adds a slight pleasant fruitwood taste which fades with use. If you smoke it too hot, it gives a faint cinnamon taste. Some it hotter than that, it lights on fire!

fullbent

Can't Leave
May 6, 2011
Very cool,I want to make one out of briar.I would like to order a whole grass sack full,But I hate to invest 600-1000 smackers into something I will ass up!

ejames

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
Nice work! I'd like to try some black walnut.I remember Mike Leverette(who is no longer with us) talking about walnut pipes he had made. This guy-I believe his name is Mark Stewart makes and sells walnut pipes and also pipes from several other woods--- http://www.pipecraft.org/Newpipesforsale.html

I've used mulberry and persimmon. Mulberry works great. The persimmon is collecting dust on a friends shelf-we ain't sure if it's safe to smoke or not! Gotta get some walnut one of these days!

kennerth

Can't Leave
Jul 30, 2011
I used the black walnut more because I had it than anything else. I wanted to learn to carve briar pipes,and figured I better get the bugs out on a cheaper wood, since I already had it. I just got kinda hooked and haven't moved on. I have some persimmon I want to try. It is a fruitwood. The dust is dangerous and fine. Wear a mask and eye protection.
Thank you for all of your comments!

kennerth

Can't Leave
Jul 30, 2011
Thanks Zuni! We have a bible study called Holy Smokes in San Antonio. We study while we smoke cigars and pipes. I put the groove in the pipe so it could hold my cigar, which I usually smoke first. #4 is definitely an attention getter!

kennerth

Can't Leave
Jul 30, 2011
#3 Was just to see if I could show off the round rings in the front. I haven't smoked it. Don't know if I will. But I like looking at it!
34shot.jpg
[/img]

lonestar

Lifer
Mar 22, 2011
Edgewood Texas
We have a bible study called Holy Smokes in San Antonio.
Thats awesome. I'd make it to a lot more bible study !

Pipe looks great, some thinking outside the box. I dont know why you wouldn't smoke #3 I think it looks like a great pipe.

Status
Not open for further replies.