PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

perdurabo

Lifer
Jun 3, 2015
Ok. So..... I'm thinking there has to be some stoved Virginia in Balkan Blue. With a blend this black in color, giving off a sweetness which it does, Dark Navy Flakes or Dark Star must bless this blend. Anyone else get my drift? Or am I such a Latakia rookie that I'm being tricked?

bigpond

Lifer
Oct 14, 2014
Those are characteristics I often associate with cavendish. In fact, that was exactly what turned me off to this blend. Not sure if it as listed as a blend component though.

There are different Cavendish processes, or there must be, because LTF is a Cavendished Virginia also. Maybe stoved Virginias get lumped in with Cavenishes because it is cooked? It has no other quality that I think of with Cavendishes. It is naturally sweeter, but not like an aromatic at all. It is more in line with fire and flue curing. And, almost all Virginias are flue cured. And, does that make Kentucky Dark Fired a Cavendish also?

There are only two natural ways for a Virginia to get that deep black color, stoving or age, which are kind of similar in how they color the leaf.
I've had one tin of Balkan Blue, but I can't remember much about it. All of the latakias get lumped together in flavors for me, except a few that only have an angels breath of latakia. It overwhelms my tastebuds and all I get a distorted flavor. Maybe if I smoked more of it, but then, why would I do that? ha ha.

Jan 8, 2013
Balkan Blue is one of my favorite blends. About four years ago when it was still called Blue Mountain, I did a mini review of Balkan Blue/Blue Mountain, Black House, and Sutliff's Balkan Luxury Blend 957 together. I was totally new to Balkan Blue at the time and was pretty convinced that it did indeed have some black cavendish in it. Although I could be wrong, I'm still convinced. Could be a secret ingredient McClelland threw in there to make it especially awesome. In this review I mention how I got the same creamy sweetness from the 957 which does have cavendish in it. Whether it does or not, it's a lovely smoke. Here's my review. http://pipesmagazine.com/forums/topic/black-house-blue-mountain-and-balkan-luxury-blend-957

bigpond

Lifer
Oct 14, 2014
From wiki.
“Cavendish Tobacco refers to tobacco that has been heat treated with fire or steam and then subjected to heavy pressure in order to produce a sweet taste with a moist texture. American, Dutch, and Danish varieties involve the addition of flavorings; while British Cavendish, commonly known as unsweetened or unflavored Cavendish brings out the natural sugars in the tobacco through pressure applied during the preparation process.[1] Cavendish tobacco is named after Sir Thomas Cavendish.[2]
The varieties of tobacco leaves most commonly used to create Cavendish tobacco are Virginia, and Burley.”
“The preparation of Cavendish tobacco begins by pressing the tobacco leaves into a cake approximately 2.5 cm (1 in) thick. Then the cake is heated using fire or steam, allowing the tobacco to ferment.[3] After, the fermented cakes are cut into slices and packed into pipes. Finally, flavoring may be added before the leaves are pressed again. English Cavendish uses a dark flue or fire cured Virginia, which is steamed and then stored under pressure to allow it to cure and ferment for several days or weeks.”

perdurabo

Lifer
Jun 3, 2015
Cavendish? Yea, I guess, but the sweetness does not come across as sugary/brown sugar that I recognize as cavendish. It could be cavendish though.
Might have to close this one down, it's going down a road that can only end up in a pile up. :mrgreen:

Kentucky Dark Fire is also a Cavendish, and I don't get much sweetness at all.
When people use the word "Cavendish" most of us automatically think of aromatics. But there are quite a few that have no flavors, and adding a bit to a blend can water down the taste, for those that have issues with this. Green River Cavendish is one of these.

fitzy

Lifer
Nov 13, 2012
NY
I've been saying forever that I need to try this blend as I love balkan style tobacco's but as of yet haven't gotten a chance to.
I like that sweetness a "cavendish" can add to a blend.
I see our friend Jim has mentioned that sweetness in his review of balkan blue "the latakia doesn't stand out quite as much as it could because of the sweetness".

Status
Not open for further replies.