PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
A new pipe, a bent apple, from a well known manufacturer has developed a black spot on the surface, about 3/8" in diameter just above the bottom of the where the chamber ends. There is a small fill in the center of same on the surface. My question is: could the fill extend to, or nearly to, the inside of the bowl, and would that fill thus transmit heat more readily, causing the blackening of the exterior?
More importantly, might this indicate a fatal flaw in the pipe? I suppose sanding the bowl would reveal the extent/depth of the fill, but then I might have a hard time returning it.

georged

Lifer
Mar 7, 2013
The timing, size, color, fill location, and spot location all point to a burnout in progress. :(
Don't sand or etc.
Most companies are quite good about dealing with this sort of thing. It happens occasionally no matter what precautions are taken. They know it, and expect to replace some percentage of the pipes they produce each year.

samcoffeeman

Can't Leave
Apr 6, 2015
Definitely contact the manufacturer or retailer with your concern. Maybe Kaywoodie was onto something when they X-rayed their pipes!

pepesdad1

Lifer
Feb 28, 2013
Like the others said: Black spots coming through the briar is usually an indication of a burnout. Had one in a GBD that I put pipe mud on and hopefully solved the problem. But if yours is new I would get a replacement to avoid the heartache of burnout.

monty55

Lifer
Apr 16, 2014
Bryan, Texas
jpmcwjr
Didn't want to do a pic as it might reveal the maker
I think I understand why you say this, but I don't think your doing justice to the forum members by withholding that information. This is the kind of thing a lot of us want to know before making a purchase. It's not that we think all their pipe are inferior, or crap, but we perhaps will give a keener eye to fills and such. Furthermore, if you do get another pipe because the maker man'd up, wouldn't that be praise for how well they take care of their customers? We would want to know that as well, then it really wouldn't matter who they were, as long as they backed their product. But I guess this is IMO

Jan 4, 2015
Massachusetts
I agree. In spite of a company's best efforts these things happen. What makes a good company is that they respond well to these incidents when they occur. Having a pipe fail isn't an indictment but dealing with it fairly is a strong endorsement.

freakiefrog

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 26, 2012
Mississippi
Thanks, gents. I will contact the supplier. Didn't want to do a pic as it might reveal the maker.
SH&* happens. I've always said the maker of a good company isn't that they never have problems its how they handle those problems. Keeping a happy customer happy is easy, making an unhappy customer a repeat customer is the mark to hit. I don't think anyone here is going to go off and demand the heads of the company over unforeseen problems that happen with wood.
Hope it works out for ya.

bigpond

Lifer
Oct 14, 2014
My question is: could the fill extend to, or nearly to, the inside of the bowl, and would that fill thus transmit heat more readily, causing the blackening of the exterior?
Absolutely.

No need to protect the innocent imo. Everyone puts out a dog now and again.

okiescout

Lifer
Jan 27, 2013
I agree. In spite of a company's best efforts these things happen. What makes a good company is that they respond well to these incidents when they occur. Having a pipe fail isn't an indictment but dealing with it fairly is a strong endorsement.
Absolutely.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Agree. Initial contact with the company is positive. I will report, with name and details when resolved one way or another.

Thanks for the input, all.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Sorry, but an emergency surgery, two weeks in the hospital and a slowish recovery put this out of my mind and reach. The pipe is a Peterson, and the company has been completely willing to refund or replace.
My conundrum now lies in the fact that I love this pipe, and don't want to part with it unless there's a probability that the black spot is a fatal flaw. Yes, I will post a photo or two, but in the mean time is there anything a layman can do to make a further assessment? (Any psychics among us??)

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Thanks, Seadog. I am indeed mending, though at a pace that seems glacial! My taste for both espresso and tobacco is returning, so I am halfway home!

seadogontheland

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 4, 2014
You are feeling up to coffee and smoke? Damn you're fine! I expect you to be ready for our daily jog tomorrow (grin).

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Dang, was looking for something else, and ran across this old thread. It's made me miss sea dog, not seen around here for ten months...Anyone?

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Best of luck with your health and your pipe replacement. If they send you a replacement of the same pipe, I bet you'll never have a problem with it. It's that one in a thousand that gets past the crafts people with a bad spot.

Status
Not open for further replies.