PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

backwoodsjack

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 25, 2015
Central Minnesota
A week or so ago, I bought an aged tin of Blackpoint from pipestud.

I had never smoked this stuff, but I figured an english with 13 years or so of age probably can't go wrong, so why not.
Rarely do I smoke a bowl of something new and immediately declare it perfect and delicious, but it was, so I did.
And so was the second bowl, and the third.
Just for the hell of it, I tried a smaller bamboo stemmed pipe. And honestly, the taste while smaller, was the same.
Latakia,Va and orientals blended in perfect harmony followed by a presence of perique lingering and the end of every draw.
It was predictable, consistent and delicious every time, every draw, from the beginning of the bowl to the last.
I have never experienced this. Now I must buy some new BP to see if the magic is the age.
Anyone else smoke this wonderfully blended mix? What are your thoughts?
P.S.

the stuff stayed lit with out any effort and didn't get harsh when I pushed it, almost uncanny.

edgreen

Lifer
Aug 28, 2013
One of my favorites. Greg Pease is the latakia king and this is one of his tops for me.

backwoodsjack

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 25, 2015
Central Minnesota
edgreen,
I could have been influenced by the Christmas season, and the week off from work, but it was a seriously enjoyable

smoking experience.
This blend will be on hand.

backwoodsjack

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 25, 2015
Central Minnesota
One other observation, this stuff tasted like Quiet Nights in technicolor. Like the two weeds were long lost pals, only

BP is more vibrant with space between the flavors, more in focus.
I need to smoke some now.

mikestanley

Lifer
May 10, 2009
Akron area of Ohio
There are many blends that are fantastic with that kind of age...even those with Latakia. Patience is it's own reward in the case of tobacco. Many of the blends I open these days are from 1999. Not the GLP, those are 2004-2006. Hold 'em if ya can because great things happen inside those tins while the tobaccos sleep.
Mike S.

backwoodsjack

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 25, 2015
Central Minnesota
I have little experience with very aged tobaccos. I have only smoked a couple with 10 or more years on them.
I have seen the transformation from newly opened tins to a year or two of jarred rest, but if this is indicative of the wizardry that can be summoned, it is a new dimension to me.
Another rabbit hole in the land of pipedom.

troutface

Lifer
Oct 26, 2012
Colorado
And what a box it is! If I put any of those blends in a good pipe I am guaranteed a great smoke. Those were the blends that convinced me that Pease fella just might know what he's doing :worship:

cfreud

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 1, 2014
I agree with everyone's assessments that aging tobaccos lends a new dimension. I'd just add that Greg Pease's Gaslight is showing some wonderful qualities with two or so years on it. Yum. I don't know if Greg has kids, but I'm trying to send his kids to college with the number of pounds of his blends I'm storing.

Reactions: drayve85

thomasw

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 5, 2016
Yes aging tends to add some enhancement to most english/balkan blends, not just virginas -- it is a question more of 'to what extent' less than of 'will it'. I have some 5 to 6 year old Northwoods that has a certain je ne sais quoi that is so full and complex and richly delicious; yielding a mellow, contemplative smoke.

whitesands77

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 12, 2016
Denver USA
I cracked a fresh tin of Blackpoint and to be honest I was left feeling there needed to be something more to it. Pease blends are lighter to begin with I know. Maybe with some age I will change my opinion, but as of now there is just not enough flavor.

Status
Not open for further replies.