PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

chakaraka

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 28, 2012
Vernon, BC, Canada
I recently received an oz. of Black House in my order from P&C. I have only had my second bowl today. To me, this tobacco seems like it arrived very dry (albeit pungent). Is Black House usually nearly crispy dry or did I receive a portion that has dried out? I just though I would ask before I try adding humidity. It does burn well, it just seems that it is drier than any other tobacco I have encountered. Although it is my first Balkan and first bulk purchase.
:?

joshwolftree

Part of the Furniture Now
It ussualy comes pretty dry as compared to some other tobaccos I find that it makes the smoke a little smoother honestly, and less worry about tongue burn, not sure about crispy dry but since usually an ounce goes in a roll up and thrown in my pocket...I haven't had it too dry to smoke yet

chakaraka

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 28, 2012
Vernon, BC, Canada
Thanks Josh. I was pretty sure you would chime in on this one. I had my second bowl today and it did bite just a little. It could have been because I was driving too and it was my first pipe smoke in the car. What I can say though is that is has burnt nicely both times, was relatively fuss free and had consistent flavour from top to bottom.

gray4lines

Nov 6, 2012
KY
Mine arrived a little dry feeling as well (bulk). It burns well though, and I do not think it is lacking in flavor or too dry.

dottle

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 1, 2012
I rec 5 ounces bulk in an order on tuesday and I was thinking it was on the dry side also.

chakaraka

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 28, 2012
Vernon, BC, Canada
That's why I am calling out to all these Blackbloods to tell us what is normal. I know there is a lot of variety, but my first tin of VaPer is extremely moist. I was going to pull out my Black House for a while and make sure it was dry enough to smoke, but realized that it was ready to pack right from my jar. It is pretty hard to quantify moisture content without some sort of meter, but it was similar to CBW from the pouch after being left out for several hours.
Then that gets me thinking: Are balkan blends typically a pretty dry, ready to go affair?
I am reserving judgment on this one until my palette develops a little more, but while I do appreciate the amount of flavour, I think that Latakia might be a little forward for my (current) tastes as I find this to be a very spicy (tongue tingle like hot food) kind of smoke.

joshwolftree

It is a spicy blend, and I believe I recall someone,probably Baron, (Divine messenger,prophet,and patriarch of the the Blackbloods) Stating that he had received a revelation, or read somewhere or something, that Russ (the blender behind Black House) had stated that he felt that if you were needing to dry your tobacco before smoking it, your blender was selling you to little tobacco and too much "water weight". As tobacco is sold primarily by weight this makes some sense to me.

Be careful smoking in the car. I smoke in my car on the way to work and back every day and since, I clench I've learned I need to control my breathing a bit in order to prevent tongue bite/burn. I'm smoke a good bit faster in the car than I typically would sitting on the couch or back porch where the pipe is removed from my mouth more frequently. I also tend to drink soda or energy drinks when driving and those contribute significantly to tongue bite over something not carbonated.

Also don't be afraid to let it sit in a mason jar for a little while before smoking it. Supposedly it mellows with age(I love it fresh so I've never had a chance to cellar it though I do have one jar a month or so old that I trying to keep aging), so cellar some of it(if you have enough) and come back later.

chakaraka

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 28, 2012
Vernon, BC, Canada
This paragraph:
Also, there is no possible way one should assume that a type of blend is this way or that because it happens to be the same blend. To do so is IMO presumptuous and invalid as every blend, while we can certainly compare this one to that one, and some are similar, different blends are... well, different and thus will provide different results in any valid measurements.
I did not mean it in a negative way...just that I was almost dizzy doing a "who's on first" re-read.
I think I know what you mean. It is a pretty hard thing to quantify over the net. But I do use your suggested pinch test prior to packing every bowl.
:D

Status
Not open for further replies.