PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

seadogontheland

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 4, 2014
As most of you may know, this is the blend that won the Balkan Sobranie throw down a few years back at the Chicago Pipe Show. McClellend won fan favorite for their offering of what is now called Balkan Blue (formerly Blue Mountain).
This is a review for Black House, blended by Russ Ouellette and distributed by Pipes and Cigars.
Upon opening this tin, I was immediately aware of a nice, smoky aroma. Looking at the tobacco, it was a mixture of orange, brown, black, yellow and some faded green ribbons tightly compressed in a brass colored tin. Most of the pieces were uniform in shape and size, except for some irregular sized black tobaccos. The contents were perfect to smoke without the need of drying time.
I packed a Stanwell brushed black apple, applied flame and after short order this came to life with minimal lighting effort and produced a great amount of dense white smoke. The initial flavor was of the Latakia and something that was slightly bitter, the bitterness abated after a few puffs and turned into a nice slightly sour spiciness, probably from the Orientals and the perique. After the first third of the bowl was smoked, the Smoky flavor gave way to a more deeply expressed spiciness than seen at the beginning of the pipe. I could not really discern the perique as a singular component, but it did a fine job of blending with the Orientals and VAs. The flavor of the smoke and aroma from the bowl were fantastic. There were times when everything melded together and other times when the VAs and the Latakia were more overt. The smoke was cool, thick and very satisfying, to say this is full bodied is an understatement. This has been termed a "medium English" and that really does describe this blend well, nicotine content was noticeable, but cetainly not heavily. My palate felt refreshed after two bowls of this blend, which can be rare to find in a full bodied smoke of any sort. There was nothing overwhelming about Black House and I think it will fit nicely into my rotation as a daily smoke. I have searched for an English/Balkan to be able to enjoy daily, even multiple times daily and perhaps I have found such a blend, time will tell. In the end, everything was right about this fine blend, my compliments to the blender!! Highly recommended.

cobguy

Lifer
Oct 18, 2013
Nice review Geoffry!
I enjoyed Blackhouse but lean more towards the WhiteKnight ... both great smokes. :puffy:

robwoodall

Can't Leave
Apr 29, 2015
I'm just a few bowls short of finishing my first tin of BlackHouse. It will not be my last tin.
I don't know about Balkan Sobranie, and I really didn't know what to expect from this, but it was love at second smoke. Second, because my tin had unsealed, and it was really too dry.
After just a few hours or re-hydrating, though, it's become a favorite. It may be my very favorite, at the moment.

seadogontheland

Oct 4, 2014
Thanks Darin!! I'm going to try the White Knight next!
Rob,

I'm with you on that one, this is quickly becoming my favorite English/Balkan.
Booker,

Sounds like you are into the more stout VAs and though they are a little strong for me, you have a fine example in the plug. Oh, I don't care if the topic goes off somewhat, that's the fun of this board, its like a real conversation.

Sep 27, 2012
Upland, CA.
Nice review Geoffry... Blackhorse is definitely one of my favorite tobacco's I usually have in stock, but since Ive had to dip into my cellar over the last few years... I'm out. This will definitely be one of the first tobaccos Im going to be picking up.

For anyone out there that hasn't tried it yet... I highly recommend it. It'll put hair on your chest.

seadogontheland

Oct 4, 2014
Just put in an order for 2 tins of the Black House (as well as some Astley's 109).
I was reviewing White Knight, but want to immerse myself in this good stuff first; next order will be the White Knight.
For those of you who have smoked Black House and White Knight, which do you find more full bodied? Also, which do you find is the stronger blend?

cobguy

Lifer
Oct 18, 2013
BH is fuller and stronger (includes some DFK and Perique) where WK is brighter and more focused on the Oriental component.
I'd say Magnum O! is somewhere in the middle but with more Perique.
Then again ... this is all IMHO. :puffy:

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
I met Russ one afternoon in Bethlehem and was able to smoke White Knight and Black House before they went on the market. I found White Knight too bland and not stout enough. Black House was perfect and is my other regular smoke with 965 (it's a little less stout than 965). I like the cut of both, it lights and smokes quite well. (both)

seadogontheland

Oct 4, 2014
Thanks Darin and Al. As I mentioned in my review, Black House could (and has) become a daily smoke for me.

If White Knight is not as stout as Black House, which is really perfectly medium in its presentation, then I think I might take my time getting to White Knight.

stickframer

Apr 11, 2015
Thanks for the review. Last week I almost bought Black House but already had a bunch of other baccy on the way.

It sounds like a must try.

seadogontheland

Oct 4, 2014
No problem man. I think Black House might just be, stick, unless you like your English blends milder then perhaps White Knight may be your cup of tea.

stickframer

Apr 11, 2015
I've been looking for some "fuller" English blends to try but never really knew where to start. I've been smoking tons of Old Dublin and Vintage Syrian and am looking for a bit more kick. I imagine those are considered medium blends?
Haven't tried White Knight either

seadogontheland

Oct 4, 2014
Well I think of Black House as being full bodied regarding flavor and medium in strength regarding nicotine content...if that helps?

seadogontheland

Oct 4, 2014
The Captain has spoken!! Well that should seal it then. :)
Stick, get that tin and let us know what you think on this thread after you try it!!

maxx

Apr 10, 2015
BlackHouse is on my list for restocking. Good stuff.

weezell

Lifer
Oct 12, 2011
I hear, WORTHY of a Tattoo, just a rumor
mL2ZaPQ.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.