PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 8, 2013
I think I've said a million times now (possibly) how much I love Black House. It has definitely become my favorite blend so far. I understand that for many, delving into the latakia blends comes a little later in their quest for tobacco blends. For me it came quite early. I had tried very few blends before Black House, but when I did, I was hooked. I'm no tobacco super reviewer like some here, so I can only say so much about a blend. Black House, to me, has this leathery cool woodsy thing going on that really just does it for me. You open a tin, or a bag of bulk, of this stuff and the tin note kinda hits in you in the face. There's this tangy cool and sweet smokiness to it, that just grabs you by your shirt collars, pulls you nose to nose, and says... "Welcome, Bub. You just entered a whole new ballgame." But it's in a scary I'm gonna beat you up voice, not a nice voice. But then it's not scary, because something about it just screams to your senses, that you're a man. (Not sure what it does to the ladies... I'm just saying what it does to men)And you're not scared by that scary voice.... you want to smoke it. Anyway before this gets any weirder... I don't really know why I like this stuff so much. I just do. The room note of this stuff reminds me of campfires and leather... pretty much tastes like it too. But in a good way. Imagine a cool mint leather tangy campfire flavor in your mouth and there you have it. But not like a minty mint. Just that same kind of coolness. There's a bit of sweetness to it as well, and it's a pretty full bodied smoke. You can really "feel" the smoke in your mouth. Almost as if you could chew it. I have detected some nicotine in this a few times. Especially since cutting back on the cigs. There's not much more I can say about this blend other than I'm pretty sure it owns a permanent spot in my rotation. I truly love it.
It wasn't until later that I learned that Black House was a contestant in a three way throw down with two other blends to emulate Balkan Sobranie 759. I never smoked it. But I did become curious, and recently in a discussion on these very forums learned what the other two were. This takes me to....
Blue Mountain. Just smoked my first bowl of this stuff yesterday in a Nording Signature Freehand. Wow. And again for good measure... wow. Now don't get me wrong, I don't like this as much as Black House, but I just smoked this yesterday and it's a bit more fresh in my mind. It is a bit moist, but not terribly so. I later looked up some reviews and one guy said this stuff was insanely moist and gave it just a terrible review period. But in reality, at least with the tin I received, it's just about ready to smoke right out of the tin. The tin note, of course is similar to Black House, the latakia being quite evident. But it has a bit of sweeter note to it. Maybe even a bit more of a tangy note as well. (I'm now opening the tin and smelling it just to be sure) I did let it sit for a short while before loading the pipe just to be on the safe side. Now here's the thing... flavor and aroma once lit is very similar to Black House (I'm sure that's not a surprise), but it will surprise you. This tobacco was fun! At first I was thinking it wasn't going to be a whole lot different, but there was a sweetness in flavor and room note that just kept saying... "Hello," with a great big smile. In fact it was a great big creamy and sweet smile. If I didn't know any better, I'd have to say there was some Black Cavendish in Blue Mountain, although I've seen nothing saying that it does contain it. But it was quite creamy, and sugary, with a bit of a chocolaty vanilla-ish thing going on that literally had me wondering if I'd left some Captain Black Dark in the bowl. However I knew for a fact that I didn't. The bowl was clean as a baby's bottom when I stuffed it full of Blue Mountain. That sugary creaminess would fade away, to be replaced by that familiar leathery smokiness of latakia, to be replaced time and time again in flavor and aroma of sugary creaminess. When this would happen I'd try to taste the smoke more, and let some smoke enter my nose from the bowl... just to be sure I wasn't imagining things. I didn't want it to end! I wonder if it virginias causing that? As far as how it burned.... it burned pretty well. I did have to relight a few times, but I think that's because I may have packed it just a tad too tight. Other than that it burned well especially the further along I got, and it burned quite cool. I thoroughly enjoyed that smoke, and I am placing it up there as one of my favorite blends. I didn't only enjoy a good smoke with Blue Mountain, I also had a fun smoke with Blue Mountain. Along with Black House and The Smoker Ltd's Wise Fox (I highly recommend that one) I think this found a permanent spot in my rotation. So I had smoked two of the three contestants from the 2011 Chicago Pipe Show emulating a great tobacco blend of the past. I was only missing one other. And that brings me too..... :D this is so dang fun....
Today... Sutliff Private Stock's Balkan Luxury Blend 957 (see what they did there? 957...759 8O 8675309... 8675309... remember that song?) You know, this one might not have won the judges votes or the people's choice award. But just because it came in last doesn't mean it's not a good smoke. Upon opening the tin, again you get that familiar smokey note with latakia. You also get a hint of leather. It's not quite as tangy in tin note as Black House or Blue Mountain, but a bit of a sweeter tin note than both. Upon lighting this stuff up and the first few minutes of smoking, I was beginning to get bored. It was kind of blah. Not bad, just blah. I was getting that smokey leathery aroma and cool woodsy thing I've gotten with Black House, Blue Mountain, and Wise Fox, but not quite as evident. I wasn't disappointed much longer though, because it began to come alive and as with Blue Mountain, I began getting that sweet sugary vanilla-ish thing going on again. Now it actually made sense with with Balkan Luxury Blend 957 because it actually DOES contain Black Cavendish. Now the sweet sugary flavor didn't last quite as long, nor the aroma. But it seemed to hint at a spiciness a little more often than the others. The Perique I'm guessing. Again it was a fun smoke. I didn't enjoy this as much as Blue Mountain, but being completely honest, it was a fun enjoyable smoke. I could recommend this to someone. But I'd probably recommend the other two first. It smoked a little bit warm sometimes, but not terribly so, and I had to relight a few times mainly because I got lazy with puffing. Again, don't knock this one just because it came in third. It was quite good. :D
I think this is the longest post I've ever written here lol 8O :rofl:

papipeguy

Lifer
Jul 31, 2010
Bethlehem, Pa.
This is very informative, Anthony. I've had Black House and Blue Mountain abd also prefered Black House. I've also had several of Sutliff's blends but not the one you mention. Considering the reasonable price of the Sutliff blends I may get a tin to try.

My favorite blend from Russ O. is Magnum Opus. I mentioned this to Russ and he told me that he developed MO for his personal smoking pleasure. Highly recommended.

Thanks for the reviews and happy smoke rings.

petes03

Lifer
Jun 23, 2013
The Hills of Tennessee
Good assessment Anthony! Although I don't get any chocolate flavor from them. Black House and Blue Mountain are in my top 5 for sure, and I make sure I have plenty of both in the cellar. As a matter of fact, I've bought around 2lbs of BH in the last month, both bulk and tins! I'm down to about 4 tins of Blue Mtn., time to order more of that I'd say!
I haven't tried the Sut. 957, but it's on my list. If for nothing else, just to say I've had all three!

salewis

Can't Leave
Jan 27, 2011
Anthony:
I to have smoked both Blackhouse and Blue Mountain. While I like Blackhouse I find Blue Mountain to be considerably more provocative, complex and satisfying to my taste. I usually smoke Squadron Leader, I treasure Blue Mountain as a special treat from time to time.
Thank you for your very descriptive tobacco critiques.

fitzy

Lifer
Nov 13, 2012
NY
I prefer Blackhouse. But all good smokes.
I do have to say you really need to try Magnum Opus. I know papipeguy mentioned it as well. It's a dynamite smoke.
Also I find Penzance to be not too far off from Blackhouse. A bit more of a bbq smell to it for me.
Plus if you haven't smoked FM Cellar you need to run out RIGHT NOW and buy a tin.

fitzy

Lifer
Nov 13, 2012
NY
Oh and I should also mention that you should think about trying a few of the McClelland Grand Orientals as well. Dynamite smokes and for me they have a natural sweetness to them.

Jan 8, 2013
Thanks for the comments everyone. And the suggestions :) Magnum Opus is definitely on my list of blends to try. And I've heard many good things about the Frog Morton's blends. I've seen Squadron Leader mentioned quite a few times on the forums, so that tells me it's quite popular as well, and another I'll have to try at some point.
Roth if you have a tin of the Sutliff 957, I would say you should go ahead and pop the top on it and give it a try. It may well surprise you. The only reason I wouldn't purchase another tin (that doesn't mean I will not), is I do enjoy Blue Mountain and Black House more. All three are quite enjoyable smokes however.
On another note, I just cracked open a tin of my first Hearth and Home aromatic. Mohawk River. Smells very yummy. Haven't smoked it yet. Perhaps I'll try my hand at another review with this stuff.

Status
Not open for further replies.